Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

This is the forum to get to know your fellow pilots and the ONLY place to talk about everything else not really relevant to sci-fi movies, including your personal loves and interests. A true pilot doesn't discuss these issues while on duty.

Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:42 AM   #46
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002
Re: The (New?) Official Music Festivals Thread

I'm back - and my ears are still ringing!

I'd write a lovely write-up, but my brain's really fuzzy right now - The Scorpions rocked me like a hurricane! The Levellers blew me away! The Animals were really good!

We spent most of the time in the campsite either hiding from rain (which turned the entire campsite into one huge quagmire - lost shoes and mud wrestling abounded!) or enjoying the company of our neighbours, local stoners

I'll give details if my head stops spinning Also, once cameras are developed - pictures! Admittedly, they're mostly of The Levellers, motorbikes and the Bikini Babe competition, but I doubt I'll hear any complaints
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 01:29 PM   #47
Oscar
Sector Marshall
756 flights since Feb 2002

Kuopio Rockcock

Quite hardrock/metal oriented festival.
Saw CMX, Stam1na, Turmion Kätilöt, Ruoska, Mondo Bizarro, Viikate which surely didn't let me down, didn't even bother with Sepultura. For such a big reputations they really suck... in my opinion.
Oscar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 07:00 PM   #48
Sharky
Cluster Admiral
1,670 flights since Nov 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendiferous
I'm back - and my ears are still ringing!

I'd write a lovely write-up, but my brain's really fuzzy right now - The Scorpions rocked me like a hurricane! The Levellers blew me away! The Animals were really good!

We spent most of the time in the campsite either hiding from rain (which turned the entire campsite into one huge quagmire - lost shoes and mud wrestling abounded!) or enjoying the company of our neighbours, local stoners

I'll give details if my head stops spinning Also, once cameras are developed - pictures! Admittedly, they're mostly of The Levellers, motorbikes and the Bikini Babe competition, but I doubt I'll hear any complaints

Is it wrong that all I saw when I read that was 'mud wrestling' and 'Bikini Babe'?
Sharky is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 04:40 AM   #49
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Wait till you see the picture of the winner of the Bikini Babe competition ... it's the same fat guy who won the Beer Belly competition
Old Aug 2, 2007, 02:57 PM   #50
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendiferous
Wait till you see the picture of the winner of the Bikini Babe competition ... it's the same fat guy who won the Beer Belly competition

AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Picture?
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2007, 03:40 PM   #51
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

They're not developed yet, sadly. Odds are every one I took (including that one, luckily) will turn out to be unusable and blurry
Old Aug 2, 2007, 08:05 PM   #52
Quintessa
Sector Marshall
875 flights since Jul 2004

Date:the 4 of august

Festival: Lollapalooza.

Bands that day: Cold War Kids, CdSS, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Muse, Interpol and more.

Cost of a one day pass: $80

Am I going: No.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

one of these days, i'm going to go to a music festival, i swear.
Quintessa is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2007, 08:16 PM   #53
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Aww man.

Well, if it's any consolation, I hear Interpol suck live. Even if Muse and CSS are amazing...
Old Aug 23, 2007, 09:41 PM   #54
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Oddly enough, I think I might be getting a ticket to Interpol tomorrow. Woo!

Regina Spektor's sold out later this month, or I'd be going to that too, but I'll settle for Feist in September.

In the meantime, Seraph, Arcade Fire sez:

Enjoy Leeds!

Warm up your Oohs, Woohs and Heys in preparation. We'll hope for good weather, but I reckon your chances might be slim. Hope you don't get trenchfoot.

I'm going to Kaiser Chiefs/ Fratellis in Marley Park on Sunday, which doesn't have as fantastic a line up as your shindig, but, as sick of that f**king Fratellis song as I am, should be a good laugh.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 03:06 AM   #55
Sharky
Cluster Admiral

I don't get any say in the matter? I thought we were going to go to Wacken. *Stamps foot* - We're going to Wacken!
Old Aug 27, 2007, 04:11 PM   #56
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Predictably, my friends were insanely late to meet me in town to head to Marley Park, so we missed the early and midday bands, getting there just in time to be bored to tears by a fifteen day set by Ash. Jesus, they're awful. They played what sounded like the same song - about some summer Tim wishes he remembers - forever. Matters weren't helped by the camera booth-thing/ merch stand being within leaping distance of the stage, smack bang in front of it, meaning that the only way you could actually see any band was by standing either side of the stage and hoping to see their noses and toes past the gigantic Budweiser screens. You wouldn't need the frigging screens if you didn't have the the frigging camera booth thing right in the way, you halfwits!

Anyway, Fratellis were okay, but after Oxegen, if I never f**king hear the song Chelsea Dagger ever again, I will die relieved. Ugh. Still, they were alright

Kaiser Chiefs are basically an overgrown pub band, but they're a good one. Their gimmick - shouting, basically - is an effective one, and they had an excellent lightshow. But... there's a twinge of Ash to them now. Little bit of creeping ego. They don't have the ambition, or possibly, the talent, to be more than the band they are right now, and that's fair enough I suppose. They do exactly what they say on the tin. But lads, if you're entire career is essentially based on getting an audience to shout along and clap in time, it's a bad idea to get so incredibly smug as to alienate them. Heed the warnings of Ash, Kaiser Chiefs.

Got home just in time to see Arcade Fire's Reading set on BBC3, and was a tad underwhelmed. Reading/ Leeds are the shows Win keeps ominously referring to as their "festival retirement" after 20+ shows this Summer, and I think everybody expected them to break out something extra awesome for it. They put on a strong set, but they looked absolutely shattered, and aside from Richard apparently throwing Will off the stage and a supposedly amazing version of Haiti that BBC didn't bother showing, there weren't any real surprises. Returning AF fans report having trouble with obnoxious RHCP fans acting like knobs during the set, trying to get up front for ther band. Better not have been you, Seraph, roughing up my AF homies...

Last edited by jill_valentine : Aug 27, 2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 11:07 AM   #57
Sharky
Cluster Admiral

Guess who's just won a pair of tickets to Hard Rock Hell? I never win anything, so this came as a nice surprise.

Accommodation and transport (not provided by the competition) have set us back about £100 - but that's still £50 less than if we'd had to actually pay for a ticket. Plus I think we get VIP wristbands.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:09 PM   #58
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

I think I'm probably going to be working at either Oxegen or Electric Picnic. Ideally both.

Rumour has it Bell Orchestre might be playing Electric Picnic, which raises an interesting dilemma. Bell Orchestre are those typewriter heroes you may recall from the Sciflicks Music channel. Now, I love Bell Orchestre. They're a wonderful band, both live and on record, and I'd really like to fan all over them to a faintly disquieting extent if ever given the chance.

Alas, after a week sleeping in a field with decidedly limited showering facilities, chances are that I'd both look and smell exactly like a homeless construction worker by then. Essentially, I would be exactly that, albeit on a temporary basis.

So, would it be better to keep my reeking carcass out of view, like the underappreciated hardworking crew pariah I really am, or should I seize the moment and exploit my limited backstage credentials to their fullest extent?

Hmm.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:20 PM   #59
Quintessa
Sector Marshall
875 flights since Jul 2004

Eau du Sweat and Parfum des Nuits dans une Field are nature's ways of making people smell just the way they ought to. Go and go with your own musk's blessing.

Besides, you can say you slept outside for a week to see them. That's totally hardcore.

(I've heard their next album might be a concept piece featuring homeless [i.e. gypsy] construction workers. )
Quintessa is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:31 PM   #60
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

The other problem is as follows -

The warmest garment I own is my black Arcade Fire hoodie. I'm not just saying that just because everything they touch turns to awesome, the thing was expensive, but it's like wearing a duvet and I love it. For camping purposes, it's warm enough to cut down on like four other items of clothing to pack. Therefore, there's a good chance I'd be wearing it.

There can be few indie music faux pas more serious than approaching a band to fawn all over them, while wearing the merchandise of some members' other, more successful band, surely?

And then smelling like some romantically awesome construction gypsy to boot?

Even if I'm not wearing it, now that I'm conscious of the possibility, it'll prey on me.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]