Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

This is the forum to get to know your fellow pilots and the ONLY place to talk about everything else not really relevant to sci-fi movies, including your personal loves and interests. A true pilot doesn't discuss these issues while on duty.

Old Nov 21, 2008, 03:11 PM   #46
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001
Re: Booze.

I choose D. Even though i dont agree with the answer.
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 03:16 PM   #47
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Bleh. Budweiser. I only drink the vile swill under three circumstances:

1. For some ungodly reason, I feel the need to drink my beer that night in forty ounce increments. Neither the barely more tolerable Miller High Life nor Ballantine 40's are available

2. I am at someone's house and it is the only thing that is available.

3. I am at a bar and it is the cheapest beer.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 03:17 PM   #48
floyd
Libertarian
1,141 flights since Feb 2002

Welcome to my world.
floyd is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 03:19 PM   #49
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

I mean can't you get a decent Southern beer down there- like Dixie?
Old Nov 21, 2008, 03:26 PM   #50
floyd
Libertarian

Well, I actually like Bud. So, it's a slightly different world. **** fancy beer.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 03:27 PM   #51
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

I don't care if my beer is fancy. I just like my beer tasty. But to each his own.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 03:56 PM   #52
floyd
Libertarian

I think the definition of what kind of beer is "tasty," depends pretty heavily on what the label looks like and what it costs.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 05:12 PM   #53
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

No, just the taste. Because cost is in fact in a issue for me, I generally refrain from drinking in bars. Yes, even draft Bud is actually not half as tasty as a decent bottled beer. Maybe drinking all that pisswater has done destroyed your taste buds.

That being said, many of my beers of choice are by no means the most expensive things in the pub. The excellent McSorley's Black & Tan is for some strange reason often rather low on the price scale in several Lower East Side bars. And though not quite as cheap as your disgusting swill, Yuengling pitchers are at times not that much more expensive.

****, you might as well just drink The Beast and be done with it.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 01:33 AM   #54
floyd
Libertarian

Quote:
And though not quite as cheap as your disgusting swill, Yuengling pitchers are at times not that much more expensive.

I love Yuengling. I've made a road-trip to Florida for it before. You can't find it here in Georgia. And yes, I've probably got some pretty mutilated taste buds. Beer, though, being an acquired taste, it's a wholly subjective issue.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:53 AM   #55
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

But can you honestly tell me that you cannot tell the difference between Newcastle Brown Ale and Budweiser?
Old Nov 22, 2008, 01:47 PM   #56
floyd
Libertarian

I can tell a difference: I don't like Newcastle as much. I honestly do really like Newcastle. A friend of mine who worked in a union insisted we buy only union made domestic beer for a while on poker nights, so we ended up swilling a lot of Newcastle during those weeks and I was just fine with it. It's got a nice stiff taste that deserves to be savored rather than swilled; but I still prefer Budweiser. Like I said about it being a really subjective thing, I of course find a genuine comfort in the taste of Bud-Heavy.
That taste, the smell, even the can... it brings back memories of fishing for catfish, just a few years back, in a little creek outside of Statesboro. I'd load up a cooler with Budweiser, Coors and Fosters and I was happy as a clam. I've thought about it a little, because I self-analyze every detail of my life to no end... "Why'd I do that?" "You're coming off like a retard," "That cashier probably thinks your an *******," -- I'm always second guessing myself, even stuff I don't necessarily have control over, like my taste. In highschool and the first two years of college I thought it was real important to get beer like Stella Artois or Heineken all the time to show how you had this real refined taste about beer and that you're a connoisseur and you not only drink particular beers, you subscribe to some beer magazine and say fruity stuff about it like, "the hops in the ale are aromatic with a slight earthy note, calling to mind the Mindersnüt Brew that can only be produced when all the elk in the surrounding townships have been baptized under a blood moon."
All of that posturing and pretending about liking certain beer more than others and all the while I knew what I liked. I'm just inhabiting the indefensible position now, I'm owning all the positions I've known I've occupied on a number of things--from beer taste to politics to women--that I've glossed over or plain-out lied about to my friends--and even to myself--in the past. It's not easy but it's liberating to get over needing to seem cool. I say that, honestly, with no expectation that that kind of position makes me any cooler.

Are you available for some sit down time? I've been considering getting a therapist and you've been working pretty well this week.

I appreciate higher quality whiskey if that helps paint a more refined picture of me.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 02:22 PM   #57
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

Huh. Well, I'm glad that you got over that. Personal taste is obviously the only legitimate criteria for choosing your favorite beer- even if your favorite beer sucks
And while basing your politics on what the nice funny men on the TV tell you isn't necessarily the best plan, it is certainly no worse then making yourself believe things because your friends agree with them
Quote:
I appreciate higher quality whiskey if that helps paint a more refined picture of me.
No, you'll just make a mess with the paint that way

I don't think that I've really bothered to do anything to 'seem cool' since junior high school. But perhaps this has something to do with the fact that I live in a large city. Instead of trying to change myself to make others like me more, I have a pretty good chance of finding people who will like me for who I am instead.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 04:40 PM   #58
JACKER
The Paradisal Man
1,359 flights since Dec 2001

That cheap beer I bought you at the bar, SF...not so cheap. I don't even remember which one it was, remember it looked dark but could be wrong. Think I had a BK Lager. My Christian friends all thought you really kewel just the way you were--even the one you puked on.
JACKER is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 05:28 PM   #59
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

I am really, really hungover today.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 04:46 AM   #60
floyd
Libertarian

You should try those chaser things --- it's basically just calcium, and it reminds you to occasionally drink a glass of water through the course of the night. My usual MO is drink a gallon and half of water right before I hit the sack, which is a real folly because it has me getting up to take a piss every few minutes--with a ****ing headache.

But I usually feel noticeably better on days when I've taken them while drinking the night before.

Probably a ****ing placebo though.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]