Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

This is the forum to get to know your fellow pilots and the ONLY place to talk about everything else not really relevant to sci-fi movies, including your personal loves and interests. A true pilot doesn't discuss these issues while on duty.

Old Apr 9, 2009, 08:54 AM   #1
DarthJohn
Wing Commander
274 flights since Dec 2005
Anyone seen Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend?

Utterly sickening, erotic and interesting Japanese animated horror fantasy thriller about this demon god called Chojin that wants to make the realms of humans which is our world, the world of man-beasts and the world of demons into one to create a giantic world of chaos and destruction.

It's screwed up animated stuff with scenes of rape, tentacle demon naughty doings, lesbianism, bisexuality, graphic sex, brutality, gore, exploding heads, mutilation and every excess around. This animated feature makes Ralph Bakshi's stuff look like Hellraiser and Hustler magazine, it's not for the squeamish.

Last edited by DarthJohn : Dec 8, 2009 at 07:59 PM.
DarthJohn is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:30 AM   #2
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001
Re: Anyone seen Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend?

I saw it when I was younger. Didn't really care much for it.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 08:00 PM   #3
DarthJohn
Wing Commander

Do you think this movie nearly killed anime's reputation and nearly gave the genre a bad name? or why people are negative on anime?

This is one of my favorite anime movies ever and i enjoy a good horror and animated movie as this is one of htem.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:39 PM   #4
Camfan
Wing Commander
364 flights since Mar 2002

To be honest I didn't think anime had a bad name. As 'bad' as Urotsukidoji is, I could probably name ten live action movies that are just as deviant. Considering how old it is now, and the strength of recent offerings like Howl's moving castle, and anything else that falls out of Hayao Miyazaki's brain, anime is as strong as it ever was. Though I'd personally like to see another superb piece like Akira or Ghost in the Shell, of course they're masterpieces in their own way so they don't come round very often. I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to these things nowadays so I couldn't say what's good that's recent.

Of course Hollywood in it's never-ending quest to come up with something new for audiences, having hit upon the genius idea of not actually investing in new talent, but rather getting established writers and directors to mainly butcher original pieces of art from other ouevres, comics, anime, cartoons etc and then turn them into live action, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a live action Ghost in the Shell or Akira sometime soon.

Time will tell....
Camfan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 03:20 AM   #5
DarthJohn
Wing Commander

I'm just saying do you think Hentai nearly crippled anime's reputation? even in Europe it caused a big controversy in the UK and Ireland of nearly getting banned but censored much like Cannibal Holocaust and the other things you call "Video Nasties".

I think Eli Roth of "Hostel" fame should do a live-action Urotsukidoji since he's a modern shock maestro.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 03:44 PM   #6
Camfan
Wing Commander
364 flights since Mar 2002

I guess simply put I'd have to say no. There has indeed been furore over hentai, but there in lies the differntial. Hentai by it's nature is extreme and sexual. Whereas anime is not. Unfortunately there are many people who don't know the difference and are happy to lump them all in to the same group. Those people will look on anime in a negative way, but as ever it's often people who are happy to decide to hate something without actually finding anything out about it.

Anyway, simply, no I don't think hentai has ruined anime's reputation.

By the by, a live action of Urotsukidoji? I don't think anyone will touch that, not even Mr. Roth, career suicide in my opinion.
Camfan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:30 PM   #7
DarthJohn
Wing Commander

Rob Zombie should do the live-action remake since he loves and respects the material.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:44 PM   #8
Sharky
Cluster Admiral
1,670 flights since Nov 2001

Rob Zombie has his own animated DVD out at the moment. Can't remember what it is. I'd search for it but I'm listening to Steve Vai.....
Sharky is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 12:47 AM   #9
Lt_Johnny_Rico
380 flights since Aug 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthJohn
Do you think this movie nearly killed anime's reputation and nearly gave the genre a bad name? or why people are negative on anime?

This is one of my favorite anime movies ever and i enjoy a good horror and animated movie as this is one of htem.

I really don't think that this is what killed anime. There's generally a myriad of reasons. One of them is probably that for a while, the anime market got saturated, and in addition, there was a period where the West imported a lot of anime on VHS but without proper dubs, only subtitles with the original Japanese, which put a lot of people off - people don't like to read & sub fans can sometimes be super-elitist and annoying. In addition, there is this preconceived notion in the west that animated media are for kids, so there is kind of a condescending attitude toward anime. Many anime fans also don't help their cause, most specifically, the otaku, whom people usually associate with social ineptitude and general incompetence at life. The fact that hentai and various forms of "adult" anime exist probably did not help, but it is not the only reason.
Lt_Johnny_Rico is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 03:58 PM   #10
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthJohn
I think Eli Roth of "Hostel" fame should do a live-action Urotsukidoji since he's a modern shock maestro.
Yes! Please! Anything to get the man back behind the camera. That would most defiantly be the lesser of the two evils.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 05:11 AM   #11
Lt_Johnny_Rico
380 flights since Aug 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_not_Sci-Fi
Yes! Please! Anything to get the man back behind the camera. That would most defiantly be the lesser of the two evils.
So he can go back to making brilliant cinematic masterpieces such as Hostel 1&2, Cabin Fever, etc? No thanks. He is a sh*tty f*cking actor, but I sure as hell would not want him to keep making movies. Besides, he seems to only be able to play certain parts anyway. Let him get typecasted and hate his life forever once he realizes that he is not great, or maybe he'll find something he's actually good at. Not only do I not want to watch, I don't even want to hear about any more cinematic thrash such as anything to have come out of Roth's mind.

Last edited by Lt_Johnny_Rico : Apr 18, 2010 at 05:19 AM.
Lt_Johnny_Rico is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 06:37 PM   #12
DarthJohn
Wing Commander

I mean people was thinking anime was all this but they didn't look long enough.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]