Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Thing (from Another World), The (1951, 1982) [original and remake]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Thing (from Another World), The (1951, 1982) [original and remake]

Man is the warmest place to hide. | original guideremake guide

Old Jul 10, 2003, 02:39 PM   #1
Omega2064
Wing Commander
279 flights since Jun 2003
Favorite scenes from Original or Carpenter.

What moments in either or both movies do you find grabbed you the most?

For me in the original it was when the door to the grenhouse is opened and thee the Thing is and it makes that swipe at the soldiers and pulls its arm free with splinters flying.

Then the fight where they set it on fire.

In Carpenters version the first jolt is when the dog blossoms into this horriffic monster and starts spraying the other dogs with goop. The tentacles wrappign around the hepless canine and eating into its fless and the freakish sounds... This scared the heck out of me at the Drive In.

Next is when they are trying to determine who is and who isnt and the Thing reveals itself and starts to eat/absorb one guy while beating off the others with the last still tied up... wow.

The moment where the chest opens and bites off the doctors arms was shocking and then the head running off... gah!
Though not as vivid as the previous two... The rest of the scenes and battles are great too.

Omega2064
Omega2064 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 02:48 PM   #2
kinetickyle
Starfighter
112 flights since Aug 2002
Re: Favorite scenes from Original or Carpenter.

Quote:
Originally posted by Omega2064
The moment where the chest opens and bites off the doctors arms was shocking and then the head running off... gah!

That's it for me.
kinetickyle is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 05:54 PM   #3
Kell
Wing Commander
163 flights since Mar 2003

Ah, I could write for hours about this movie, but I'll spare you that.
From the original, the scene when they set the creature on fire and the lights go out in the room really grabbed me and made me watch. Considering the limited budget and effects, and also the simpler techniques used in filmaking generally in that era, it must have been a difficult and demanding scene to shoot for all involved. Well cool.

From the JC movie, any of the creature's metamorphoses are classic. But each one is different, showing a different property of the thing and adding some new element to the plot. I like all of them.
But my favorite scene has to be the last one. It's so awesomely bleak, yet inspiringly human too. Just the last survivors, alone together, not able to trust their companion but with no other option than each other's company. Huddled around a dimming fire, surrounded by an infinity of cold and dark, death is inevitable. The only thing left is to get drunk.
Rather a good metaphor for life.
Kell is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 10:22 AM   #4
TastyWheat
n/a flights since
Post Re: Favorite scenes from Original or Carpenter.

AH. my favorite scenes were in the carpenter version when the doc went crazy chopping up the computers up screaming "It wants to be us!" and when he said "I'm okay now i kept hearing strange noises outdie,I want to come back in". while eating that can of beans. plus how can anyone forget the "blood-test" scence when everyone was tied up "But he's dead Mac!" when the blood jumped out the plastic.The look on Mccreadys' face was priceless!
Old May 5, 2004, 08:31 AM   #5
merlin
Sector Marshall
685 flights since Apr 2004

Fave scene in the original was when they open the door and its waiting i **** myself watchin that as a kid.

Fave in the carpenter version when he pulls back the hammer and says to childs "i mean it" (plisken anyone?)

Quote:
The look on Mccreadys' face was priceless!

If you watch his face before he puts the needle in you see him grimace waiting for it to pop up. class..
merlin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 03:40 PM   #6
ineedabox
Sector Marshall
972 flights since Apr 2004

My favorite seen from Carpenters movie was the first "thing out" moment inside of the dog pin. I just loved it when the creature splotched out those tree fingered hands and grabbed the ceiling and started to pull itself up, and did anyone notice that weird, flower-like thing with teeth that blossomed from the same instance? weeeeeeeeeiiiiiiird stuff. But this has got to be one of the best scifi movies ever made. ever.
O you guys forgot the part where that one guys head rips itself off and grows legs and eyes like a crab, and then Windows sees it and says "You've gotta be f*ckin kiddin me..."
priceless
ineedabox is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 04:42 AM   #7
Sonny
Wing Commander
444 flights since May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell

From the JC movie... my favorite scene has to be the last one. It's so awesomely bleak, yet inspiringly human too. Just the last survivors, alone together, not able to trust their companion but with no other option than each other's company. Huddled around a dimming fire, surrounded by an infinity of cold and dark, death is inevitable. The only thing left is to get drunk.
Rather a good metaphor for life.

Yes I agree with you completely there. Yes the sfx throughout the movies were pretty awesome and totally memorable but I think the ending aced all that. Just two survivors remaining, seemingly waiting for a cold death. But it also struck me that perhaps the "thing" wasn't quite dead afterall and that it had somehow taking over one of the guys, waiting patiently to be rescued so that it could be taken into a populated area, come "alive" and cause havoc and devestation all over again.

Oh and my favourite quote from the film would be from the dog handler, after discovering something in the dog pen and telling the others.

"I dunno what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off whatever it is. "
Sonny is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Thing (from Another World), The (1951, 1982) [original and remake]