Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

This is the forum to get to know your fellow pilots and the ONLY place to talk about everything else not really relevant to sci-fi movies, including your personal loves and interests. A true pilot doesn't discuss these issues while on duty.

Old Jan 21, 2002, 04:04 PM   #1
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001
Re: Most underrated PC games

Ok, this is in conjunction with the "Overrated" thread. Simply state cool games you played, that no-one cared to play. I choose Dark Colony, a real-time strategy game with the humans fighting against the "greys", "Roswell" style aliens. The game was amazing for the sheer mass of it. You really felt you were at war. Troopers get blown to bits amidst artilery barrages and you dont even notice it, because everyone is screaming, explosions everywhere, etc. Oh, and this game has the coolest uniforms ever on a pc game.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2002, 04:12 PM   #2
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

1) Colonization, sid mayer's first follow-up to civ. It focuses on colony-managment and trade. You basicly get to colonize the New World for either the Dutch, English, Spanish, or French (No Portugeese?! ) Eventualy you fight a war of indipendence aganst your mother country... if you so choose...

the graphics may seem dated now but it is still cool! And the music ROCKS!

2) Ascendency. A Master of Orion type of Stratagy that was well ahead of its time. 3-d universe and all!
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2002, 04:24 PM   #3
Iwata
Autarch

Ahh, Ascendancy... The hours of my life thrown away with that masterpiece... An incredible game indeed.

As for the Civ series and Colonization, the lack of the portuguese is something that upsets me. Age of Empires and Empire Earth also suffer from that. COME ON, PEOPLE!!! WE RULED THE WORLD FOR 200 YEARS!!! WE BROUGHT AMAZING THINGS!!!! WE WERE THE FIRST TO REACH JAPAN!!! THE FIRST TO TRAVEL AROUND THE WORLD!!! ACNKOWLEDGE US!!!!!!! Those guys put the Teuton Knights and the Aztecs, both of which did almost nothing towards world history, aside from, in order, slaughtering and getting slaughtered, and portugal, nothing.
If I want to play Portugal, I have to play Conquest of the New World, a so-so colonization game. I think that is shamefull...
Old Jan 21, 2002, 04:38 PM   #4
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

Quote:
WE WERE THE FIRST TO REACH JAPAN
sorry my friend but the japaneese beat you to it
Quote:
As for the Civ series and Colonization, the lack of the portuguese is something that upsets me.
but you will agree that it's absence from colinization is the most shamefull... Granted, the acendency of Portugal was begining to wane with Spain's rise to power but it was still a major player...

P.S. I have never played CIV2 (the shame!)... I hear that they did not leave the jews out that time... my tribe's absence from civ1 drives me to distraction!

Last edited by SF_not_Sci-Fi : Jan 22, 2002 at 08:22 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2002, 07:49 PM   #5
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

Quote:
Ahh, Ascendancy... The hours of my life thrown away with that masterpiece... An incredible game indeed.
what races did you play with most? I liked the Minion and those four-legged lizard men with the research bonus...
Old Jan 22, 2002, 08:58 AM   #6
Iwata
Autarch

I always play the lizards or the Evil guys, that look like tree roots.
Old Jan 22, 2002, 09:46 AM   #7
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

I always liked the evil guys (the non-ogrganic dudes, right?) but I never realy liked their power...
Old Jan 22, 2002, 11:26 AM   #8
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

>Worms of Armageddon
>Undying
>Battle Realms
>Serious Sam The First Encounter
>The Dukes of Hazzard
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2002, 11:38 AM   #9
striderteen
Starfighter
92 flights since Nov 2001

Infiltration for Unreal Tournament. See the 'most realistic games' thread for details.
striderteen is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2002, 11:08 PM   #10
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000

hmm Pax Imperia.
It is like Master of orion but in real time.

Alpha Centauri!!! Some people just dont get it that this is the best game ever made. It is a masterpiece.
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2002, 09:03 AM   #11
Iwata
Autarch

Ok, the Ascendancy races we were talking about. The reptiles are the Calamaris, and the non-organic evil guys are the Shevar.

For anyone interested in buying this game, sorry, it's log out of production, but you CAN download it for free from this site: www.theunderdogs.org

This is a great site, with lot's of cool ,"underated" games.

And believe me, it's a SIN for any sci-fi fan not to get Ascendancy. As far as PC games go, you won't find a game with more original races. There's isn't a single humanoid in the game, and there are well over 20 races, of all shapes and sizes, each with their own ship designs, bonuses and penalties. And the graphics are actually good, for a game with 5 years. You can costumize ships etc.

By the way, SF, how was your fleet managed? I usually custom a few small hull scout ships, large hull colony ships, and the rest, well, large ships for planetary invasion, and colossal ships for space combat. Oh, and my invasion ships DO have weapons of mass destruction.
Old Jan 27, 2002, 11:26 AM   #12
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

I haven't played the game in a while... let someone borrow it and never got it back... well its not as if it was an original CD... my brother made me a copy years ago.

Well I'll try to DL it now and play it again! I didnt think to look on Underdogs for some reason... I found out about Colonization there, but I downloaded it elsewhere as it is not officialy 'abandonware'.
Old Jan 27, 2002, 03:09 PM   #13
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

I read the Underdogs reveiw of Acendency, and they got it quite right. Ironicly the Logic Factory's major flaw is its inability to incorperate logic into its AI. This may be the game's only weakness, but it is a crippling one. Eventhough this was the first stratagy game I ever got into, I quickly realized that the computer was no brighter then a retarded child. The fact that it is imposible to destroy a palnet's population is also quite annoying. If only they took this game and combined it with the colony managment options of Master of Orion (or dare I hope Colonization?) and a decent AI, it would be the ULTIMATE passtime. for now
Old Feb 3, 2002, 06:03 PM   #14
Iwata
Autarch

I've just spent the entire afternoon playing Wolfenstein multiplayer, and it totally ROCKS!!!!!! Man, what a way to improve an already great game. I suggest anyone who has the game to try multiplayer.
Old Feb 4, 2002, 01:51 PM   #15
Oscar
Sector Marshall
756 flights since Feb 2002
Games you say...

Hmm Stargunner... Crusader : No Remorse the best DOS game ever... At least I think so. Stupid Winblows Millenium ,no goddamn DOS...

Could some mention a GOOD non-carnage multiplayer game ?

www.classic-trash.com Nice abondoned game classics. Try it !

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]