Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

We are not alone. | guide

Old Dec 3, 2003, 01:57 PM   #1
EdsISLND
Apprentice
1 flights since Dec 2003
Question Sequel??

I seem to remember that a sequel to Close Encounters was originally planned. Does anyone remember what the title was going to be?
EdsISLND is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2003, 05:05 PM   #2
Autechre
Sector Marshall
734 flights since Jan 2002
Thumbs down Re: Sequel??

i really hope there are no plans for a sequel.
Autechre is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 02:50 PM   #3
Woulfe
Pilot
15 flights since Sep 2006
Location: Longmont, Colorado, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Sector 346512
Re: Sequel??

Close Encounters Of The Fouth Kind..... perhaps ? Nope, never was planned, ever....

However I had an idea that Barry grew up and moved to Nevada and witnessed some goings on at a certain base that's not supposted to be there but it is.... This leads him to recall his abduction from years ago.... He ends up on talk shows and ridiculed by the hosts of the shows.... UFO's are hogwash and all like that there.... He becomes disencanted by the public's responce to his story.... In other words it would mirror what a lot of abdutees go through once they make thier clames public.... He later writes a book about his early childhood abdution which sells okay to keep a roof over his head and so forth.... His life becomes strange one night when witnessing an event over Pheonix where he makes contact with one of the ships by useing the hand signs along with the five notes.... After that he has a feeling that something major is going to happen, a mass landing in December of 2012....

I don't think Hollywood would make it tho....
Woulfe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 03:38 PM   #4
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

Years ago (perhaps even the mid 80's), there was either a script or an idea for a scripted sequel that would feature the Richard Dreyfuss character (Nealy) coming back to earth after having spent decades on the alien ship. It pretty much digressed from there into something totally contrary to the sprit of the first film (aliens attacking us nonsense).

Now that we're 30 years removed, it might be kind of cool to see Neary returning to earth in the year 2007 having not aged a day. Too bad Richard Dreyfuss had to get old.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2008, 05:30 AM   #5
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

I really wouldn't like that because I like the mystery. Hated the ending to Signs because I didn't need to see the aliens, with Encounters I don't need to know who they are, they're purpose etc. The illusion of knowing, the tantilisation of it, has far more power than the cold light of the reveal.

Only way I can see it happening is Cocoon style, which for a film like Encounters is...probably not the way you'd want to go.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)