Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

All sci-fi movies which have too many fantasy elements/unexplained phenomenae to classify properly as science fiction.

Old Sep 7, 2006, 09:02 PM   #1
kc7gr
Apprentice
3 flights since Sep 2006
Spirited Away

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned this or other Miyazaki films. It is, in my not-so-humble opinion, his best work ever!

Would anyone else care to comment on it? If you haven't seen it yet, RENT IT! If you like great animation and equally great character-building, you won't regret it.

Keep the peace(es).
kc7gr is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 09:07 PM   #2
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005
Re: Spirited Away

I'll try to watch it. I know of it but have never seen it and would like to. Is this the same director who did Grave of the Fireflies?
toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 03:12 PM   #3
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002

spirited away isn't boarderline, it's pure pure fantasy. good fun, but still total fantasy. same with most studio ghibli films
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 08:20 PM   #4
scifi_lover
Trust No One
1,049 flights since Jan 2004

It's more along the lines of steampunk with their flying machines and so on and so forth, but it is set in an alternate future, so it could be debated whether it was also scifi, although I do admit it is more fantasy than anything.
scifi_lover is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 08:18 AM   #5
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002

alternate future? what the hell?
Spirited Away.. Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi

Modern day japan, Chihiro and family get transported to the land of spirits, where Chihiro works in the bathhouse for spirits while trying to return her parents to human form after they've been cursed and turned into pigs.

I'm sorry I fail to see the sci fi element of it. lots of fantasy, with spirits, ghosts, river spirits with dragon forms. magic but nothing really sci-fi.
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 05:01 PM   #6
scifi_lover
Trust No One
1,049 flights since Jan 2004

Sorry, I should have specified. I wasn't talking about Spirited Away, I was talking about Miyazaki films in general.
scifi_lover is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 12:39 AM   #7
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000

Nausica Of The Valley of The wind and Castle in the sky could be clasifed as SF. But he tends to swing both ways. My neighbour Totoro, Spirited Away, Howls Moving castle , Porko Roso, Princess Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service are all distinctly fantasy.

Nevetheless all his movies are good. Actualy this kind of fantasy is the only one I can digest.
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 04:57 AM   #8
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan
Nevetheless all his movies are good. Actualy this kind of fantasy is the only one I can digest.

Me too. It's much more interesting and imaginative than the typical sword and sourcery type stuff, like LOTR.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:36 AM   #9
DarthJohn
Wing Commander
274 flights since Dec 2005

An awesome movie, the best movie Miyazaki has ever done.
DarthJohn is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy