Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

This is the forum to get to know your fellow pilots and the ONLY place to talk about everything else not really relevant to sci-fi movies, including your personal loves and interests. A true pilot doesn't discuss these issues while on duty.

View Poll Results: Should AIDS/ HIV victims be identifiable?
Jesus Christ no! Thats appalling! What do yo think X Men was about? 10 90.91%
Well....yeah. It's the only way to be safe. 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 25, 2003, 09:04 AM   #1
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002
New Debate.

This came up in Irish Parliment after a recent case where a man knowingly and deliberately infected his partner with AIDS, and I thought it would make an interesting debate.

Should AIDS victims be visibly "branded" in some way to prevent people being unknowingly infected?
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 09:18 AM   #2
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
Re: New Debate.

Of course not. AIDS prevention is and should be the responsibility of the individual, not the government or even, technically, the infected partner. If you are willing to have unprotected sex with someone you don't know to be HIV free, then this is your fault, bottom line, end of debate.

The great irony of HIV is that it's 100% preventable. I tire of these who try to label HIV infected individuals as so-called Typhoid Mary's. Getting HIV (99.9999% of the time) begins with a choice.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 10:11 AM   #3
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

You mean, like the stick with a bell on it that was carried by plague and leprosy victims duringthe Middle Ages?

No way. AIDS is, like Sith said, the responsability of the individual.

That would be the first step in ostracizing those individuals.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 12:11 PM   #4
The one......
Sector Marshall
600 flights since Dec 2002

Hmmmmm, good question, but I fear that HWS stole the very reasonable answer that there is.

The only branding, just say that there had to be by law (work with me here) should be by the genitalia of the infected, so that if you were to go down that road you would know. Then there's the problem of actually branding people- some don't know that they have it and of course the 3 month incubation period after possibly being infected.
People that have HIV don't necessarily suffer with any symptoms for a good few years, some even having it and yet not affected by it (ie carriers so to speak) so how would they be branded, if they never told anyone???

So back to HWS and his comment- safe sex, ma friends is the best bet.
Heeeeeeeeeeere's Johnny!
The one...... is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 12:17 PM   #5
Xorgan
Starfighter
108 flights since Nov 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by HighWiredSith
Of course not. AIDS prevention is and should be the responsibility of the individual, not the government or even, technically, the infected partner. If you are willing to have unprotected sex with someone you don't know to be HIV free, then this is your fault, bottom line, end of debate.

I can't believe it - first time I'm one opinion with HWS.
Xorgan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 12:45 PM   #6
Jill Valentine
n/a flights since

I...also...agree....with...High Wired Sith...

Gak!

But...and this is quite a big but...this was not a one night stand. These people had been a couple for 3 years or more. He was not presenting symptoms.

One other interesting point to note is that there was a similar case some years ago, but it didnt raise as much controversy. I wonder what the difference was? Why werent their hysterical protests from politicians then? Incidently, the guy was a black immigrant. Hmm.

The branding suggested was to be a type of discreet tattoo. Tattooing genetalia might be a little too cruel...
Old Nov 25, 2003, 12:49 PM   #7
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

There are always the what if's, the for instances, .005% I mentioned - these are people who get into long term relationships with people who are infected or get infected through infedility. These instances are tragic but I still don't think they call for government branding of anyone on any body part.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 01:05 PM   #8
Jill_is_phucking_sick_of_logging_in
n/a flights since

Wise words....er....Fountain of Desire.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 01:08 PM   #9
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Your new screen name is pushing all the thread topics to the left of my screen!
Old Nov 25, 2003, 01:10 PM   #10
Jill_has_phucked_up_all_your_browsers_and_is_sorry
n/a flights since

That is all.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 01:16 PM   #11
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

Im sorry, that was childish...
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 01:32 PM   #12
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002

childish but fun
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 02:04 PM   #13
Unregistered
n/a flights since

No they should not be branded.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 05:06 PM   #14
Unregistered
n/a flights since

one thing:
Old Nov 25, 2003, 07:37 PM   #15
Unregisteredereed
n/a flights since

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
one thing:

one thing: yawn

re: the poll...

in an ideal world people would be open and honest in relationships.. however, stick by the rules of safe sex and not drinking other peoples blood and we should all be fine

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]