Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Reading Room

Your quiet and comfy lounge to pick up a great book and discuss sci-fi literature.

Old May 14, 2004, 11:02 AM   #46
merlin
Sector Marshall
685 flights since Apr 2004
Re: Great Sci-Fi Authors List

Quote:
Oh my. 13th Warrior is in my collection--now Im going to have to read Eaters of the Dead.

Good luck it took me 5 years to get it and then it was by chance, i hope they have a better back catalogue in the states.

But then again it may have been rereleased when the movie came out. its not so much a book as a diary of the arab emissairy sent to russia, but met up with the vlkings and ended up fighting against a tribe who were known as the eaters of the dead and thats pretty much it im afraid.
merlin is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 12:14 PM   #47
merlin
Sector Marshall

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/mptv/108...th_key=0074812
Old May 14, 2004, 03:54 PM   #48
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

IMDB doesnt allow hotlinking! And youre doing it worng. I finally firgured out what you guys are doing wrong. Ill post an answer in testing. . .
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 12:26 AM   #49
narobi foss
Starfighter
73 flights since May 2004

Surely William Gibson deserves a peep! Neuromancer is great and has been royaly ripped for nearly 20 years by sci-fi denizens. Especially that piece of arse Matrix. Right down to Zion. I mean you could ****ing at least change the names!

I cant wait to read pattern recognition once it drops in paperback. I am cheap yes.
narobi foss is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 08:59 AM   #50
mack
misanthrope

Quote:
I cant wait to read . . . once it drops in paperback. I am cheap yes.

One does what one can! (I only pop for hardback when I really like the author and cant wait----soooooo cheap its a shame!)

Quote:
Originally posted by merlin
Good luck it took me 5 years to get it and then it was by chance, i hope they have a better back catalogue in the states.

well--they most certainly do---I was at Borders the other day and they had all of his old stuff rereleased, so yes, there, among the paperbacks, was a copy of Eaters of the Dead. Didnt look that impressive in book form though, so I left it where it lay. *shrug* Michael Critchton and I have a good relationship---he writes them, I watch them when they come out on video! Unfortunately, I find that I prefer to watch some scifi writers, and read others---Crichton is such a one, although, every time I see a really good flick of his, I always want to try reading it. *sheepish smile* He recently came out with Prey, so I think they are milking the fervor for all its worth!
Old May 25, 2004, 10:24 AM   #51
merlin
Sector Marshall

Im itching to read prey.

I did tell you eaters of the dead isnt really a book as such, more of a diary as it was a retelling about an arab ambassador to russia who helped some vikings defend a town from attack. needless to say he never made it to russia.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 07:03 PM   #52
UFO
Pilot
27 flights since May 2004

Before I get started....Kevin Anderson is a hack IMHO. He's has mediocre success stealing other peoples' franchises (Dune, Star Wars, X-Files, Titan AE follow ons, Fantastic Voyage follow ons, movie novelizations, etc). As an imaginitive (and original) SF author he really does stink.

Alfred Bester
Philip K. D!ck (I can't believe this board censors D ick)
Neal Stephenson (love him or hate him)
Vernor Vinge
Ray Bradbury (no one can beat his pure, uncluttered story telling)

BTW, Prey is okay. Nothing to write home about. Crichton has lost the touch he had 10-15 years ago. It was a fairly entertaining read, but mundane in its treatment of nanotechnology...an unthrilling thriller. If you want to read a visionary tale of nanotechnology, read The Diamond Age. The ending is messed up, but the concepts throughout made my jaw drop most of the time.

Last edited by UFO : Jun 7, 2004 at 07:09 PM.
UFO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 06:02 AM   #53
Gildamere
Wing Commander
192 flights since Dec 2002

I'm surprised that nobody's yet mentioned Larry Niven or Stephen Baxter.

Niven's best known for his Ringworld trilogy. His strong points are a feel for pacing, veryinteresting plots and most of all his believable aliens. And he has written some very interesting short stories. Recommended!

Larry Niven:
Three Books of Known Space (Short story collection, recommended for people new to Niven)

A World out of Time
Ringworld
Ringworld Engineers
Ringworld Throne
Lucifer's Hammer (with Jerry Pournelle, very realistic vision of an asteroid impact on Earth, recommended)
Footfall (with Jerry Pournelle, very interesting alien invasion story, recommended)
Protector (my favorite piece)

Stephen Baxter is known for his very realistic approach to SF, implementing present day theories and weaving them into gripping stories of epic proportions. Only drawback is that he gets veeery technical and sometimes tends to neglect character development over scientific detail. If you're willing to put up with sometimes extensive lecturing on quantum mechanics, string theory and such, go ahead and read him, it's worth the effort.

Stephen Baxter

- The Xeelee Sequence:
Vacuum Diagrams (recommended for people new to his works)
Raft
Ring
Flux

-The Manifold Series
Manifold: Time
Manifold: Space
Manifold: Origin

Voyage
Titan
Anti ice
Moonseed
The Time Ships (Award winning sequel to H.G. Well's Time Machine, his best piece of fiction yet)

Both authors have written more than I've mentioned, but I only listed what I own (too lazy to look up the other stuff, do it yourselves).
Gildamere is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 06:13 AM   #54
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

Ah yes, Niven and Pournelle - individually great, together sublime.

Another great that noone's yet mentioned (I think) is Harry Harrison - and his "Stainless Steel Rat" collection - very easy to read yet exceptionally well written - and the ideas are clever. Plus there's his "Bill, the Galactic Hero" one-off which should be a must for any reader.

I got into Peter F Hamilton and his large trilogy ("Night's Dawn" trilogy) - it was really rather good until the surprisingly lame ending.

Then there's Philip Jose Farmer and Ursula le Guin who are more fantasy/SF than pure SF but very good reads.
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 12:22 PM   #55
mack
misanthrope

Quote:
Originally posted by Jove
Ursula le Guin

You can get into her? Ive tried, but I cant seem to get thru it. Im always tempted, then mad. *shrugs*

Niven was an excellent choice!
Old Jun 9, 2004, 06:15 AM   #56
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by mack
You can get into her? Ive tried, but I cant seem to get thru it. Im always tempted, then mad. *shrugs*
Try "The Left Hand of Darkness" - not hughely SF - more fantasy.
She's very much one for the a subtle story in a rich setting rather than concentrating on the story. Much like people like Robert Silverberg - another SF/Fantasy mixer.
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 05:55 PM   #57
merlin
Sector Marshall

i loved moonseed as i was living in edinburgh at the time of reading it.

I got a copy of I ROBOT today but i dont know wether to read it untill ive seen the movie.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 11:43 PM   #58
mack
misanthrope

Quote:
Originally posted by merlin
i dont know wether to read it untill ive seen the movie.

Reading it might ruin the movie for you. Might be best to wait---books, when the movie is based off of them, are generally better than the movies. . .
Old Jun 11, 2004, 03:33 AM   #59
merlin
Sector Marshall

i know and the problem is ive already got the picture in my head of will smith as the lead. its funny but when i read the prisoner of azkabhan i pictured gary oldman as sirius black weird......
Old Jun 11, 2004, 03:45 AM   #60
mack
misanthrope

I read the Potter books so long ago that I hope I didnt forget the storyline. havent seen the flick yet, so dont spoil it! honestly, ony guy and I think Rowling is going to kill Harry off... ..

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room