Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

All sci-fi movies which have too many fantasy elements/unexplained phenomenae to classify properly as science fiction.

Old Mar 16, 2004, 02:28 PM   #1
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002
Vampiric Flops and Flights: Underworld, Queen of the Damned

Ok--Underworld is vampiric, granted--but I thought this movie did a good job of merging of the fantasy/mythology/technology elements. Especially with the whole "viral infection" slant, and the with the war between the vamps and lycanthropes. Very progressive and up-to-date.

-----------SPOILER--------------

My one beef was the whole "ending." Can we please come up with something new?? I feel like the whole "betrayal by my creator" slant is sooo played out. Is it me? is it only me? i saw that coming a mile away.

----------END SPOILER-------------

oh yeah---the Lycan Lucius' right hand man? Rix, or Raul, or Ryu or something? HOTHOTHOT. ( and I dont usually even go for the overly musclebound. . . .). Normally, I am not a Kate Winslet fan (reminds me too much of Nicole Kidman), but she looked ok in this one.

And Queen of the Damned ----------->sucked. Compared to "Interview with a Vampire" (with Christian Slater and Brad Pitt) it was a real loser film. Stuart Townsend will never be Brad Pitt, sorry guys. (Altough, lately, Brad isn't Brad, y'know?)
The entire movie cam off utterly pretentious, and the acting? What can I say? All the undulating and gyrating in the world couldn't save Aaliyah's Queen character (God rest her soul--->I dont mean to speak ill of the dead. . .), and Townsend is just not pretty enough, nor does he have the commanding presence that LeStat was supposed to have (and good old Pitt had in "Interview").

But what do I know? I'm not an Anne Rice reader, I'm a Laurell K. reader.

What do you guys think?
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 02:35 PM   #2
broken tusk
Wing Commander
461 flights since Jul 2003
Re: Vampiric Flops and Flights: Underworld, Queen of the Damned

I agree I'm not an Anne Rice reader, I read Laurell k. Hamilton.
I thought Queen of the Damned was a waste of my time it was nothing compared to interview with a vampire.

I liked underworld but I think it could have left about half an hour on the editing room floor. all so i thought the werewolf/vampire thing was just a cheep Hulk rip off.
broken tusk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 02:37 PM   #3
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

I liked Underworld, Queen of the Damned sucks, as does Bram Stoker's Dracula.

A few good vampire flicks? Night Flier, Fearless Vampire Killers & Shadow of the Vampire. Oh, and the Blade films, of course.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 04:25 PM   #4
Lt_Johnny_Rico
380 flights since Aug 2002

Underworld had good action scenes and a good story, but it dragged in the middle and was somewhat too preachy. Also, the chemistry between Beckinsale and the love interest guy (forgot his name) was unconvincing. In addition, the characters were really poor shots.

I haven't seen Queen of the Damned, though, so I can't comment on it.

A few vampire movies that I enjoy are From Dusk Till Dawn, From Dusk Till Dawn 2: Texas Blood Money, and the Blade movies.
Lt_Johnny_Rico is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 04:47 PM   #5
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,026 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

For clarification, Mack, it wasn't Kate Winslet (Titanic), it was Kate Beckinsale (Pearl Harbor). I thought 'Underworld' was a pretty decent film.

As for 'Queen of the Damned' it was so bad that even Anne Rice didn't want it made. Stuart Townsend was a horrible Lestat, especially compared to Tom Cruise as Lestat. All the characters were completely wrong compared to the book. And whoever took over as Louis in this one, just looked fruity.

David Talbot, from the Talamasca, was an extremely old man in the books, a role better suited for someone like Sir John Attenborough (Jurassic Park)

Marius was written in the book as an extremely handsome, blonde, Romanesque build, etc. Not the balding, darkhaired, etc, weenie who played him in this film.

As for Maharet, she wasn't the one that finished Akasha off, it was Maharet's twin vampire sister Mekare. And she didn't turn into a marble statue like this ending showed.

So, again, 'Queen' sucked ass. They should have respected Rice's opinion and scrapped this version for one directed by Neil Jordan (Interview with the Vampire) and gotten Tom and Brad to reprise their roles and more accurate actors portraying the 'Children of the Millenia'
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 08:34 PM   #6
Autechre
Sector Marshall
734 flights since Jan 2002

Always liked "The Hunger", its the eighties crapness thats so appealling i think.
Autechre is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:25 PM   #7
mack
misanthrope

Yeah--Underworld had great action, but the love story development was seriously lacking---it was obvious that they were trying to set the "current" love story as a parallel between the old love story with Lucius----and they did it badly--kinda "in your face" no finesse whatsoever. But a good movie, though.

Thank for the winslet-beckinsdale correction.

QOD was so terrible, I almost want to go read the book to get the correct version. . .
Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:49 PM   #8
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,026 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

If you do read it, Mack, make sure you read 'The Vampire Lestat' first. The movie 'Queen' was a mish mash of the two books with 'Lestat' following 'Interview'. Basically, as in the end of the 'Interview' movie, Lestat decided that a few things needed to be better fleshed out than what Louis told in his story.

Another thing they screwed up was the fact that Lestat did NOT sire Jesse.
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 01:42 AM   #9
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall
782 flights since Oct 2002

I really liked Interview with the Vampire, the first Blade, From Dusk Till Dawn, and a few others(incuding Dracula aka Bram Stoker's Dracula)

Quote:
Originally posted by mack
Stuart Townsend will never be Brad Pitt, sorry guys.

Quote:
and Townsend is just not pretty enough, nor does he have the commanding presence that LeStat was supposed to have (and good old Pitt had in "Interview").

Brad Pitt did not play Lestat, that was Tom Cruise.

Last edited by Kieraganion : Mar 17, 2004 at 04:27 AM.
Kieraganion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 03:59 AM   #10
Wachesaw
Wing Commander
428 flights since Mar 2003

Doesn't all vamp movies suck? They're all the same, all stupid and boring.
Wachesaw is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 05:44 PM   #11
mack
n/a flights since
Re: Re: Vampiric Flops and Flights: Underworld, Queen of the Damned

Quote:
Originally posted by Kieraganion
Brad Pitt did not play Lestat, that was Tom Cruise.

OH YEAH! What was I thinking----->shoulda went to bed before I had a brain fart. . .
Old Mar 17, 2004, 05:49 PM   #12
mack
misanthrope

Quote:
Originally posted by Wachesaw
Doesn't all vamp movies suck? They're all the same, all stupid and boring.

Exactly--they really do need to get a new angle. But I thought that Underworld did a good job of adding a (semi) new angle with the advanced technology (--liquid silver bullets, liquid silver sunlight ----was it nitroglycerine, or glycerine? Im no scientist!) and viral transmission angle---it made vampirism a scientific phenomenon, not a mystical, otherworldly wonder.

And the Blade films are just good movies. . .
Old Mar 24, 2004, 07:05 AM   #13
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

Underworld was painful because of those little glimpses of cleverness (The bullets, how cool the werewolves were, the nifty jumps off high buildings.) and how crap the rest of it was. My fave vampire movie is definitely Interview with a Vampire, though Anne Rice fans were aped so cruelly well in one Buffy episode that I find it hard to take seriously now...

Queen of the Damned was horrible....Lost Boys is fun but overrated and pretty dated, though I'm happy to acknowledge its contribution to vampire movies/ TV/ books/ Shoulderpads. What the genre needs is for somebody to do for it what Ginger Snaps did for werewolfers. Van Helsing has Dracula, right?
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 07:13 AM   #14
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

Quote:
Originally posted by jill_valentine
What the genre needs is for somebody to do for it what Ginger Snaps did for werewolfers.

What? Make the genger suck again?

Ginger Snaps is WAAAAAYYYYY overrated. It's the "Buffy" of werewolves and just as bad. It's as scary as "Teen Wolf" or "American Werewolf in Paris" and in some parts just as stupid.

"Dog Soldiers", "American Werewolf in London" and "The Howling" still are the alpha males of the pack.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 12:06 PM   #15
dinochick
Starfighter
80 flights since Apr 2003
Location: USA ~ the outer rim, furtherst point from the center of the Universe

Queen of the Dammed is a wonderful book, I liked it better than the Vampire Lestat. It is really to bad that they made that horrible pice of nothing that some call a movie. Totaly ruied the book for anyone who has no yet read it, probably even encouraging people not to read it at all.
dinochick is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy