Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

All sci-fi movies which have too many fantasy elements/unexplained phenomenae to classify properly as science fiction.

Old May 28, 2004, 02:37 PM   #46
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002
Re: Vampiric Flops and Flights: Underworld, Queen of the Damned

I just thought of the 2 Blade movies (and posted something in PM about it), but I think they were also excellent representatives of vampiric flights. Honestly, I think Blade/Blade II were forerunners of Underworld.
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 02:47 PM   #47
merlin
Sector Marshall
685 flights since Apr 2004

I watched near dark again lastnight and its definately worth a watch.

i thought underworld was ok but a bit too much like a story i read in a comic called "a love like blood" about a vampire falling in love with a warewolf and the consequences of their actions.

American warewolf in london will always be the best transformation sequence ever filmed.

As for the howling it was great untill the news reader changed into A GIANT PUSSYCAT i mean what a let down i ended up pissing myself laughing.

Dog soldiers i thought was great.

The hunger, ah susan sarrandon getting her tits out for a lesbo session with catherine denerve. (even tho david bowie acted a tit)

John carpenters VAMPIRES, its a shame he brought it out the same time as Blade as it stole its thunder (it was quite a while before it was released in the uk).

ive never had a fancy for queen of the damned.

Dracula gary oldman at his best let down by keanu's dodgy english accent.
merlin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 04:05 AM   #48
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

Vampire movies seem to demand awful accents...

Dusk Til Dawn is a whole lot better than I remembered...and the line about psychos remains a classic. The vapires are still ridiculous though.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 05:50 AM   #49
merlin
n/a flights since

From dusk till dawn was the first thing i saw george clooney in and i thought he was cool as hell.

the second was sh!te and i havnt seen the third.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 06:43 AM   #50
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

And that was a seriously cool tattoo. Gotta say, Tarantino isn't as bad an actor in it as I remembered. In fact, I though he was rather good.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 07:32 AM   #51
merlin
Sector Marshall

i remember watching it with a friend and his girlfriend and she said "ive never seen the tatoo in er they must cover it with foundation" needless we fell about pissing ourselves laughing.

Jill did you notice the sheriff at the begining is the same one in kill bill who she spits on. also the shopkeeper stared with george in THE PERFECT STORM
Old Jun 1, 2004, 02:05 PM   #52
mack
misanthrope

the Dusk til Dawn movies were good flicks (all of them). Now I admit that the first one with Clooney and Tarantino was the best one, but the next 2 were good as far as B movies go. Tarantino definitely had a different angle for Vamp flicks. And Robert Rodriguez added a gritty/action flavor to the films---it changed it from the normal slowly plodding vamp plot to action packed (and funny).
Old Jun 5, 2004, 10:55 PM   #53
mack
misanthrope

I like your list! I really am going to have to see Dog Soliders. And has anyone seen the sequel to John Carpenter's Vampires, called something like "Los Muertos" ?
Old Jun 6, 2004, 06:01 PM   #54
merlin
Sector Marshall

started to watch it but switched it off i couldnt get bon jovi out of my head singin "your love is like bad medicine".

Dog Soldiers is a must warewolves soldiers and england stuffing the germans at football (dont ask)

There was also a dracula film with frank langella kicking around at one point but i havnt seen it in years.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 06:28 PM   #55
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001
Re: -- Vampires, Lycans and Goths --

Quote:
Originally posted by Prividenie_
“Nosferatu” – A masterpiece for its time. If you are a Cinelover, you should watch it.

“The Fearsome Vampire Killers” – Now this is something you can’t miss! This movie has some of the best dark humour scenes that I can remember, including a snow surfing chase with an evil quasimodo-like gumba riding a coffin!

“An American Werewolf In London” – Sarcastic story and a smoggy environment, just like we like it.

“Teenage Werewolf” (1 and 2) – The first is not bad at all and can sometimes be funny, but the second is really bad.

“Buffy” – One word: crap.

“The Hunger” – You can like it if you want, but you can also find it boring.

“Dracula” – The “godfather” of most vampire flicks! There are at least two movies entitled “Dracula” which are based on Bram Stoker’s tale (the newest has Gary Oldman playing Dracula). You should also take a look at Mel Brooks’ parody, with Leslie Nielson playing Dracula.

“Full Eclipse” – Too much predictable and not enough dark.

“From Dusk Till Dawn” – Excellent. A movie that stands between classic horror stories and westerns.

John Carpenter’s “Vampires” – James Woods was great and the beginning was somewhat inventive, but then the story lost its way and the last half hour of film was actually boring.

“Blade” – Some good action scenes, but not enough dark.

“Blade II “ – Not as original as the first. (do all vampires know martial arts or what?)

“Dog Soldiers” – I have to watch this one. Someone told me it was great.

“Underworld” – Better than “Blade”, but still a little bit predictable and with one or two technical mistakes.

Where's "The Howling" and "The Company of Wolves"??
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 07:21 PM   #56
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

My take on most of these...

"John Carpenter’s “Vampires” – James Woods was great and the beginning was somewhat inventive, but then the story lost its way and the last half hour of film was actually boring."
Mmm, hated this movie. Enjoyable enough in a so-bad-I'm-finally-drunk-enough-to-watch-it kinda way, but sober its painful...

"“Blade” – Some good action scenes, but not enough dark. "
I really like Blade, its an inventive take on both Vampire mythology and the Blade character, who was originally a lot closer to the not-at-all-a-big-obvious-big-rip-off Gunn from Angel...

"“Dog Soldiers” – I have to watch this one. Someone told me it was great."
I bought it on video a few years ago. Fun enough at the time, but I haven't watched it since.

“Underworld” – Better than “Blade”, but still a little bit predictable and with one or two technical mistakes.
I much, much preferred Blade. Certainly its not Shakespeare, but at least there actually is some plot and character to Blade, of which there are neither to this. The worst film I've seen in the last year.

"“Buffy” – One word: crap."
I haven't managed to see it yet, but Buffy series fans, the kind of people who'll pay tens of thousands of dollars for a lock of James Marsters hair, disown it completely and jam their fingers in their ears when its mentioned (as does the series itself) . I think the presence of leg-warmers and Luke Perry in the stills I've seen says enough. If Donald Sutherland and Rutger Hauer aren't enough to save a movie...
Old Jun 6, 2004, 07:45 PM   #57
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

I could rant on and on about how good the series is, but for that you can just look at any of my previous posts ever.

Underworld just felt like a cynical cash in on two trends (The ones sparked by Buffy and the Matrix...) done with little panache, and no real effort by anybody involved. Everybody just phones in a performance, closes their eyes and thinks of their paychecks. Even the action sequences feel uninspired and empty, which is a strange thing to say, but its true.

Blade on the other hand has at least one showstopping fight scene (The meat plant) a genuinely cool lead, and some really original aesthetics. Not one of my favourite movies ever, but its achieves its aims admirablyand entertained me thoroughly, for all its last-half-hour flaws.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 08:08 PM   #58
mack
misanthrope

You blasphemers!

Surely you understand that the Buffy movie came out BEFORE the buffy series??? and due to the changing sentiment of the public (darker/more gothic), the series Buffy dug down deep and pulled up a far more darker version. . .essentially, they are 2 different stories. One is light, the other is dark. *shrugs*
Old Jun 6, 2004, 09:24 PM   #59
mack
misanthrope

I really enjoyed the Buffy movie when it first came out (I was much younger then, and more inmpressed w/the actors), but the Buffy series really spoiled me for the movie. The series did far surpass the movie in scope and depth. I always figured that was why they never came out with a sequel. . . .
Old Jun 6, 2004, 09:57 PM   #60
mack
misanthrope

I thought there was a movie sequel, but no third flick. Why have another movie when the series was so popular? *shrugs* I liked the movies better myself.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy