Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

All sci-fi movies which have too many fantasy elements/unexplained phenomenae to classify properly as science fiction.

Old Jun 7, 2004, 09:51 PM   #61
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002
Re: Vampiric Flops and Flights: Underworld, Queen of the Damned

Quote:
Originally posted by Prividenie_
What!? There's a second movie?! Are you sure?

I could almost say for sure that I watched something feature length that wasnt the orginial movie, and it wasnt quite the TV show either. . . it was a few years ago, so maybe I am erroneously remembering it. .

EDIT: I FOUND SOMETHING:

Stargate SG-1: Children of the Gods

Chuck Miller (grok-huy@prodigy.net)
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 25 June 2000
Summary: This is not supposed to be TV series. This was the pilot episode for the TV series.

I do not have all of the particulars in front of me, but this 1997 film directly followed the original STARGATE movie filmed in 1994. The complete title is: Stargate SG-1 "Children of the Gods", and it starred Richard Dean Anderson, Michael Shanks, and Amanda Tapping. Kudos to the casting people who replaced the original cast with very excellent performers who managed to bear good resemblances to the original characters. This sequel is slightly better than the original, amazingly. But see the movie first so that you can follow the storyline. Solid 8.

Has anyone seen Gingersnaps 2? I keep looking at it on the shelf, and Im just not sure I can bring myself. . .

Last edited by mack : Jun 7, 2004 at 10:01 PM.
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 07:30 PM   #62
mack
misanthrope

that was actually a good urban film---funny, yet not light.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 11:43 AM   #63
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Oh god now that was a bad film, Eddie hardly makes anything good anymore (yeah ok so I made my IQ nose dive about 20 pts and enjoyed I Spy, but still)
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 01:36 AM   #64
BalrogTim
X
1,044 flights since Mar 2002

Underworld had its flaws, but it was still an ok movie. Watchable, if nothing else. Sure, you could predict mostly everything that happens towards the end, but still seeing it was satisfying.

Interview with a Vampire. Obviously nothing can compare to the books, but I thought that it wasn't a total blaspheming failure.

Queen of the Damned, on the other hand....I'm not even gonna discuss on how bad this one was. Pure garbage.

Lost Boys is still my favorite vampire movie. Sure, it had the Corey bros., but it also had so much more to bring it up.

Dracula (the one with Gary Oldman) was pretty good. It had my favorite musician, Tom Waits, which is an added bonus.
BalrogTim is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 01:23 AM   #65
Manick
Pilot
22 flights since Jul 2003

Belive it or not, most vampire movies are **** anyway. They all change the old legends/rules. The old Bram Stokers Dracula, was very good. It did a good job of sticking to the book, which was a complete masterpiece. Interview with a vampire is excellent. Mostly for the fact that it interpreted the book into a movie that was true to Anne Rice's vision. Almost perfect. Queen of the Damned, was a failure. Most of the movie was taken from the second vampire book(The Vampire Lestat) that Rice wrote. Then they just took the end of Damned and stuck it in there. No, i take that back. They killed Akasha, but not how she died in Rices version. Bastards. But, Jonathan Davis did the music, so that was cool.
Manick is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 01:38 AM   #66
mack
misanthrope

Ok. Im not trying to hate on Aaliyah or anything. God bless the dear departed and all that. K. Seriously. She destroyed Queen of the Damned. I get the strong impression that Akasha was supposed to be a woman of weight and power. I mean of epic proportions. Am I wrong? I havent read the book, but cmon, do I need to? Aaliyah came across as a girl playing at a woman's game. I mean----I always hear that youth and experience never exist in the same person, and in this instance, I have to agree. Unfortunately, in the vampiric storyline, you have exactly that: an age-old young person. An old mind in a young body. So I suppose the directors are really screwed in a way. They are forced to find actorswho are filled with youth and vitality, and simply cannot emanate the sheer prescence that a vampire of some age must have acquired over time.

Am I the only one who noticed that they often actually have OLDER people play the "wise" older mentor vamp? I say its a smart move. Do I believe that there is really an epidemic of old people being made vamps? No. But it works better in the movies.

Now in Interview w/a Vampire, Cruise (?) was a young guy, but if I remember correctly, he did a lot of standing around looking somber while he told his story. AND, his story was of a newly-created vamp, so we can overlook a lot of the youthfulness.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 01:52 AM   #67
BalrogTim
X
1,044 flights since Mar 2002

I think a huge problem I had with the movie (Queen of the Damned) (it may not be the same for everyone), is the fact that most of the characters did not have the right color hair!

Come on, people, Lestat has blonde hair! So does Marius! And Mael!

Also, I envisioned Maharet's hair a little more of a vibrant red, I thought her hair was too dark.
BalrogTim is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 12:01 PM   #68
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

Mack, Brad Pitt was the newly made vamp, Louis, in 'Interview'. And yes, again, I will state that 'Queen' sucked ass.

And pertaining to Stargate SG-1, I love that show, waiting for Season 7 to come out on DVD.
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 02:06 PM   #69
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

I know its been a while but...

Quote:
You blasphemers!

Surely you understand that the Buffy movie came out BEFORE the buffy series??? and due to the changing sentiment of the public (darker/more gothic), the series Buffy dug down deep and pulled up a far more darker version. . .essentially, they are 2 different stories. One is light, the other is dark. *shrugs*

Not quite.

Whedon came up with the concept and wrote the script, but it became clear to him during the filming of the movie that the original concept had been buried under ridiculous pitches from marketing, and a complete lack of interest from the people involved. Certain members of the crew (Though he declines to say who) were trying to turn it into something else completely differen from what he was trying to do. Eventually, it got so bad that he walked off the set and didn't return.

For the series however, the WB gave him almost free rein, so he got Buffy the Icon that he had tried to create the first time. The biggest restrictions they ever enforced was bumping Earshot to the end of the season ( Before Columbine, it hadn't really ocurred to anybody it could happen. Immediately afterwards, it would have been callous to have an episode about Buffy trying to stop a school massacre.) and a few requests to keep the subtext to Sub-. When they moved over to UPN, Joss was handed almost total control, but by then he was running three tv shows, writing Fray and his wife was having a baby. So he left it in the control of Marti "I wouldn't understand a subtle metaphor if you hit me with it" Noxon.and Co, who turned it into the nonsensical Spike/Buffy nauseathon trainwreck of the last season.

The only two redeeming features of which were the introduction of the Drew "Am I the only one that saw the previous seasons?" Goddard to the writing staff, and the reintroduction of Faith/ Eliza Dushku, who almost got SMG to pretend she still cared any more, even if the writing staff completely forgot why Buffy is a heroine. SMG, meanwhile, was busy pi**ing everybody in the world off, by casually mentioning in an interview that since she wasn't going to return, the show was to end prematurely.

Everybody from the catering staff to Alyson Hannigan learned they were out of work after 6 years from a magazine interview.

Alyson Hannigan got married to Alexis Denisof (Wesley), Anthony Stewart Head returned to Britain (He's appeared as the prime minister in Little Britain, and as an MI5 agent in Spooks) Nicholas Brendon's in rehab, Michelle Trachtenbergs' in Eurotrip, and Emma Caulfield stars as a herself (as does Joss himself and Tom Lenk, among other Buffy/ Angel crew) in the forthcoming Hollywood satire Bandwagon, about airheaded celebrities rallying around charitable causes for PR. Joss is now making a spin off movie from the cancelled Firefly called Serenity.

Sarah Michelle Gellars' been in Scooby Doo. Oh, And Scooby Doo Too. (And the Ju-On remake...)

So there you have it. Yet again, I try to give a simple post and spiral off into Jill's Behind the Music. Sorry again.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 04:11 PM   #70
Drone
Sector Marshall
584 flights since Jun 2002

Quote:
Underworld just felt like a cynical cash in on two trends (The ones sparked by Buffy and the Matrix...) done with little panache, and no real effort by anybody involved. Everybody just phones in a performance, closes their eyes and thinks of their paychecks. Even the action sequences feel uninspired and empty, which is a strange thing to say, but its true.

One word: Hollywood.

Also, I wasn't going to mention this, but seeing people talk about a school I live maybe ... 3 blocks from is really weird. I never think about it. Is that a bad thing?
Drone is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 04:34 PM   #71
mack
misanthrope

Optie: you say this:

Quote:
Originally posted by OptimusPrime75
Stuart Townsend was a horrible Lestat, especially compared to Tom Cruise as Lestat.

Then this:

Quote:
Originally posted by OptimusPrime75
Mack, Brad Pitt was the newly made vamp, Louis, in 'Interview'.

Optie---you're gonna have to choose one, buddy! I first said he was Pitt, and you told me it was Cruise--then I say its Cruise, and now you say its Pitt! Now see----you should have to go look it up now. . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by jill_valentine
I know its been a while but...

Dont worry: we know you have a jones for Buffy the series. Its an addiction, and similar to the way we treat junkies at DA, CA, and AA meetings, we respect that.

So you mean to say about the movie---the guy slated for the movie is the same man that did the series, but he ended up walking oput when they perverted his vision? Interesting. He intended a "darker" Buffy from get-go? Ok. I can deal.

Quote:
Joss is now making a spin off movie from the cancelled Firefly called Serenity.

Wow. I just borrowed the series "Firefly" Season ONe. I kid you not, I have it on the desk as we speak. *scratches head* I had never heard of it before, and when I saw it on the shelf, I thought--this looks interesting. Is it any good? And I take it there is no "Season 2"?

Last edited by mack : Jun 30, 2004 at 04:46 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 05:22 PM   #72
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

No, there's no second season as yet. It was rapidly cancelled, and Joss found work for nearly the entire cast in Buffy and Angel. Nathan Fillion played Caleb, the really annoying preacher in Buffy, Gina Torres (Laurence Fishburnes wife) played Jasmine in Angel, and Stephen Baldwin played Hamilton, the dude from Wolfram and Heart in Angel.

I haven't seen it yet, but my friends are raving about it. I need to overcome my resentment, since I largely blame Firefly for the rapid decline of Buffy. Anyway, apparently its closer to a western than a traditional space opera. The one moment everybodys raving about as the series definer (Like Darla turning on the boy in Buffy's teaser, and Angel telling Buffy to get out of his city) is

SPOILER!!!

The hero guy, captain of the ship, having captured the bad guy and having gotten all the use he can from the dude, casually kicks the guy over into an engine intake.

SPOILER OVER!!
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 05:27 PM   #73
mack
misanthrope
Talking Re: Vampiric Flops and Flights: Underworld, Queen of the Damned

Im taking the entier series home tonight! heehee.. ..
Old Jun 30, 2004, 06:28 PM   #74
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

okay, lets clarify:

Interview with the Vampire

Tom Cruise = Lestat: who was made a vamp late 1600's-early 1700's. Also Marius had absolutely nothing!!! to do with Lestat's turn to the darkside His backstory was filled in beginning with 'The Vampire Lestat'. Lestat had made a couple of vampire companions long before Louis, including Nicholas, his best friend in life, and his own mother, Gabriel.

Brad Pitt = Louis: who was made a vamp late 1700's by Lestat

Queen of the Damned

Lestat = Stuart Townsend
Louis = Some no name actor
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 07:24 PM   #75
mack
misanthrope

My bad, Optie---sorry about that.

I thought that the big name actors in Interview were Tom Cruise as Lestat, and Christian Slater as the newspaper guy. It has been awhile since Ive seen the film, and I confess, I havent looked it up on IMDB.

So you say that both Cruise and Pitt were in Interview?

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy