Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Off-World Discussion Forum

Forum for science fiction related material not listed in Movies Galleria or Upcoming Movies ONLY. If you want to chit-chat, please visit the Pilot's Mess.

Old Sep 10, 2005, 10:34 AM   #31
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002
Re: Lost- you are watching it right?

I went off Desperate Housewives the second time I watched it. the magic just wasn't there any more. But Lost is currently the only thing on TV that I'm consistently watching - although I do keep flipping through the Sky guide to see when QI is next on
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 01:09 PM   #32
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

Yeah, I liked the surrealler episodes of DH, but like you said, the sheen faded quickly. Watchable still, but it hasn't sucked me in like Lost has. Lost has everybody wittering about how it's the new Twin Peaks. Except rather than the Who Killed Laura Palmer thing, we have the Who Killed Who, What killed Who, WTF was that and so on.

Just heard - apparently the reason RTE is rushing S1 with double bills is 'cause it wants to show S2 whenever it can. Hurrah!
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 01:18 PM   #33
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

Things I noticed:

1. A character will always sit in the sand and stare into the sea.

2. Every time Shannon appears, she's not only in a bikini, but lets the camera perversely pan up her legs up to her face.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 01:29 PM   #34
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Lost is not the new Twin Peaks ... Lost isn't rubbish
Old Sep 10, 2005, 01:37 PM   #35
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

"Brilliant. (I have absolutely no idea what's going on.)"

Homer Simpson, summing up Twin Peaks perfectly I think.

I dunno. I do worry that there might not actually be a master plan. That when they go to add it all up, there might be a flat-pack pine strut or two left over.

And yes Nex, if I see one more bloody shot of people staring wistfully at the sea, I'm going to go... I'm going to go kick some sea-staring ass. People- you've got precious little food, water, gumption or security. You have better bloody things to do!
Old Sep 10, 2005, 08:13 PM   #36
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Yes, but constructing latrines and drawing up a fire-tending rota just aren't as dramatic as staring off to see ...
Old Sep 11, 2005, 05:00 AM   #37
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

I cant wait untill all those extras wandering around die off from staring at the sea and tending the fires too much.
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 01:45 PM   #38
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tack
I cant wait untill all those extras wandering around die off from staring at the sea and tending the fires too much.

They'll go sandblind and hungry and then just stumble into a fire... Actually, that'd make great television...

Didn't a guy once do that in Survivor?

Honestly, I don't get why they set up camp on the beach anyway. TV shows always seem to forget that sand is hot and abrasive, and not at all pleasant to walk, lie or sit on.

Quote:
Originally posted by Splendiferous
Yes, but constructing latrines and drawing up a fire-tending rota just aren't as dramatic as staring off to see ...

Only if you write them lazy. I'm sure if Abrams really tried he could come up with a dramatic latrine building scene and a dramatic fire-tending rota...

One thing I've noticed is that the Lostaways all somehow keep bumping into each other out in the jungle, but never seem to catch each other peeing. Pff. Everyone knows that most of you guys are just looking for an excuse to pee against a tree.

The Buffy nerd in me is protesting that I'm getting too cosy with Lost. I still say we're just very good friends. And I can keep my conscience clear by playing "Spot the Buffy/ Angel actors."
Old Sep 11, 2005, 01:52 PM   #39
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

How is Lost scientific?

(course, Ive not seen it, so I stand to be corrected. )

regarding region issues: by it R1, destroy the region coding, and burn it region free. Lengthy process, but doable.
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 02:09 PM   #40
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Quote:
Originally posted by mack
How is Lost scientific?

(course, Ive not seen it, so I stand to be corrected. )

Without giving too much away (or to be fair, without actually knowing much more...) the Island is presented as a sort of Bermuda Trangle type place where very odd things are afoot. If you've never seen the show, it sort of looks like Survivor: But Pretty! but it's closer to the damned offsping of the X Files and Silent Hill than Castaway in many respects.

The plane crash wasn't an accident, we know that much. It's very strongly implied that there's a master plan to the whole thing and that the survivors weren't on the plane by chance. There's also inexplicable minor weirdness, like crazy weather, compasses going nuts, radio transmissions from sixteen years ago, and a certain set of lucky/ unlucky numbers that keep cropping up in unlikely places.

Zounds! I can see them right now! In this very thread! Gahh!

Last edited by jill_valentine : Sep 11, 2005 at 02:20 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 02:31 PM   #41
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

*goes on website*

You're all only on episode six?!
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 02:43 PM   #42
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

[Smug]Anybody want me to tape episodes 22 and 23 tomorrow? [/Smug]
Old Sep 11, 2005, 05:45 PM   #43
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

You are both very, very mean

If I had the money AND the inclination to jump through hoops, I would buy the R2 boxsets out of sheer impatiance (12 whole episodes! Wow!).
Old Sep 12, 2005, 04:33 AM   #44
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

Quote:
Originally posted by jill_valentine

They'll go sandblind and hungry and then just stumble into a fire... Actually, that'd make great television...

Didn't a guy once do that in Survivor?

Honestly, I don't get why they set up camp on the beach anyway. TV shows always seem to forget that sand is hot and abrasive, and not at all pleasant to walk, lie or sit on.

Only if you write them lazy. I'm sure if Abrams really tried he could come up with a dramatic latrine building scene and a dramatic fire-tending rota...

One thing I've noticed is that the Lostaways all somehow keep bumping into each other out in the jungle, but never seem to catch each other peeing. Pff. Everyone knows that most of you guys are just looking for an excuse to pee against a tree.

The Buffy nerd in me is protesting that I'm getting too cosy with Lost. I still say we're just very good friends. And I can keep my conscience clear by playing "Spot the Buffy/ Angel actors."

accutally yes a guy ddi that in survivor and it was quite funny because they drugged him so much he went from screaming in pain to proclaiming his love for his `team mates`. Good TV.

I guess the sand in hawaii isnt really that bad. plus the water is fantastic so being a lostaway extra wouldnt be that bad.
I wonder if all the lostaways run into each other in the woods becuase they are really just making more lostaways. Really Bumping into each other in the jungle.

and guys dont just see a tree and think about peeing on it.... hey theres a tree... nevermind.
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 06:36 AM   #45
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Yeah, I mean, that's just a blatent piece of feminist propoganda, put about to belittle man and remove freom us our elevation from the status of dumb beasts!

<<sees a tree in the distance>>

Pardon me, I'll be right back ...

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum