Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Reading Room

Your quiet and comfy lounge to pick up a great book and discuss sci-fi literature.

Old May 1, 2006, 03:59 PM   #16
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
Re: New Reading Suggestions

Here is the second book I purchased Saturday from reliable if not somewhat peculiar author Umberto Eco (of The Name of the Rose fame). His books can be a chore to read but ultimately rewarding if you're willing to stick with it. He has yet to dissapoint me despite my difficulty oftentimes of trudging through his exposition. Like Stephen King he tends to overwrite on a rather grand scale.

Review and possible recommendation forthcoming...maybe. Took me two years of off and on reading to finish The Island of the Day Before.

Here's cover for The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana, $19.99 hardcover.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:32 PM   #17
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005

Check out this new cover for Forever War:

toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 01:33 PM   #18
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

SFBC? Science Fiction Book Club maybe?

Yeah, very nice cover.

Monday I picked up an absolutely essential book for any SF collection: The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume One : The Greatest Science Fiction Stories of All Time Chosen by the Members of the Science Fiction Writers of America. I've yet to crack open the cover, but I shall full well enjoy it this weekend.

Old Jun 7, 2006, 01:55 PM   #19
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall

That one looks really good. I picked up 2004's Best Science Fiction anthology. I only read one story, but it was good.

Old Jun 7, 2006, 04:22 PM   #20
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Any Robert Jordan fans? His Wheel of Time series is rather impressive if one goes by sheer volume alone. Some of them (last count there were over 10 books, 10 very thick books I might add) are quite good, some impressively good, others a chore.

Anyway, I found this on a website today:
Quote:
In a letter dated March 23rd and published by Locus online, Robert Jordan disclosed that he has been diagnosed with amyloidosis -- a rare blood disease that can take many forms. In his case, the form it is taking is an accretion of misshapen proteins which are accumulating in his heart's cardiac muscle, producing a condition called cardiomyopathy. In his case, said cardiomyopathy refers to a stiffening of his heart muscle, leading ultimately to death, likely from a form of congestive heart failure. He has been told that untreated, he has a median life expectancy of one year. With aggressive treatment -- which in this case means chemotherapy that will destroy all his bone marrow, followed by a reseeding of his bone marrow through stem cells harvested from his own blood. If it works, his median life expectancy quadruples.

So it looks like Mr. Jordan may be wrapping his long winded series up soon...or he may just forget it alltogether and focus on other things, which is probably what I would do.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 07:11 PM   #21
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall

I heard something like that. I'll have to try to read his books at some point. I wonder if he'll write any more. I think I heard that rumor several months ago. I didn't hear the details, only that he was dying. I wasn't sure it was the same Robert Jordan when I heard it.

Another series that a friend of mine got me into that I wanted to go back to is the Sword of Truth series. I haven't read much fantasy, so I don't know how they compare to The Wheel of Time series, but I really enjoyed the first few novels of what I read and kind wanted to go back and read them at some point.

Last edited by toomuchcoffee : Jun 7, 2006 at 07:37 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 09:48 AM   #22
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

I must admit to several failed attemps to work my way through The Wheel of Time series. There are so many events and so many characters, if you don't keep up you will literally have to start over, or almost over. And yet, they are rewarding and enjoyable books, like Tolkien on speed really. Jordan's world is just as deep as Tolkien's, perhaps moreso. Now that he is dying I shall certainly have to try to complete my reading.

I switch back and fourth between fantasy and science fiction. I am currently in a science fiction mood but have R.A. Salvatore's Icewind Dale trilogy sitting on my nightstand.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:14 AM   #23
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall

I think I read the Icewind Dale trilogy. No, I haven't. I did read the first book in the series, but the trilogy I'm thinking of is the prequel to that series, the Drizzt Do'Urden (sp?) trilogy. That's another author I wouldn't mind reading. I have to somehow finish all the books I have so I can start in on a series. Salvatore doesn't sound bad for summer reading, actually.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:22 AM   #24
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Drizzt Do'Urden - basically Legolas with some serious attitude. He's a dark elf (I think Salvatore calls him a Drew Elf). I've read the Hunter's Blade Trilogy which features him most prominently.

Salvatore is a solid fantasy writer. He doesn't have the flair for environment that Robert Jordan has nor the characterization skills of Ursula K. Leguin (nor the sheer style of Tolkien), but has smatterings of all three. Great escapist reading though.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:51 AM   #25
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

Dark Elves are known as "Drow" Elves in D&D lingo - on which Salvatore has based his realm, I believe.

Which is why the Icewind Dale realm transfers well to RPG games and is now part of D&D lore.

I'm quite sad to hear of Robert Jordan's illness.
I've never read his books, as I always thought he was someone who had verbal diarrhoea and just wrote, rather than someone who actually wrote good fiction.

But based on what you've been saying, I may well look into his books.
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 03:06 AM   #26
davecallaway200
Wing Commander
206 flights since Jun 2006

anyone here a fan of Harry Turtledove?

Turtledove's Guns of the South is prolly one of the best alternate history novels and most of the other stuff he writes is top notch
davecallaway200 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:33 AM   #27
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Guns of the South was one of those books that "everybody" read when I was in grad school. Unfortunately, I was not part of that group. I remember seeing the cover, the picture of General Lee holding an AK-47 and the book just looked silly. I had a number of friends who had great taste in SF who loved it. I basically judged the book by its cover!

Have just started the third novel in Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space trilogy - Absolution Gap. I can't reccomend the second book, Redemption Ark enough. Simply one of the best SF reads in the last five years.

Old Jul 12, 2006, 05:21 PM   #28
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall

I picked up Chasm City on the fly somewhere used but I haven't read it yet. Anybody read it?

Old Jul 13, 2006, 08:20 AM   #29
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

I purchased it at the beginning of the summer. It's a non-sequential book in the Revelation Space series, that takes place some years before the events in Revelation Space and is loosely connected to that storyline. I have not read it yet but plan to start when I complete Absolution Gap.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 08:03 PM   #30
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall

I just finished Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein. Anybody read this? I thought that it was quite good. I'm only trying to remember why Mike Smith realized that humans were more interesting than Martians, and whether this has anything to do with why God (in the Bible not as fact) told his angels to bow to man. Did God see man as being superior to the angels and is Heinlein telling why he thinks that when he has Mike Smith say why he thinks humans are more interesting than Martians?

I could look it up again in the book but I don't feel like it. I was sort of hoping someone else has read the book and thought of that as well or at least remembers the part in the book.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room