Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Reading Room

Your quiet and comfy lounge to pick up a great book and discuss sci-fi literature.

Old Dec 6, 2006, 10:42 AM   #46
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
Re: New Reading Suggestions

Okay, the spam is pissing me off.

New reading suggestion:

That said, just finished reading this book to my kids. Have seen the ho-hum of a movie The Secret of NIMH a couple of times over the years but never ventured to discover the text from which the movie sprang.

Let me say that the Newberry Award winning novel was far and away superior to the film in almost every way. It's also SciFi (using chemical DNA injections to alter the genetic makeup of lab rats making them more intelligent than humans and greatly expanding their lifespans).

The basic story follows the troubles of Mrs. Frisby, a widowed field mouse with four children, one of whom is very sickly and nearly dies. When an early frost prompts a premature move from their winter home, a concrete block in the garden of the farm they inhabit, she realizes the move will very likely kill Timothy, her sickly son. They stay, the tactor will kill all of them. They move, Timothy will die.

After seeking the wisdom of an ancient owl she is sent to beg assistance from a group of mysterious rats inhabiting a rosebush on the same farm. This is where the story evolves from your basic talking animal childrens story to one of the best pieces of adolescent fantasy lit I've ever read. It seems that Mrs. Frisby's late husband had a connection with these mysterioius rats and a secret that will not only save her son but change her live and the lives of her family forever.

The book is deep and thoughtful on many levels, exploring a number of relevant issues ranging from scientific ethics to basic morality. Add to this a handful of amazing characters and an ending that will leave you both breathless and heartbroken and you've got an amazing read.

Took me about three 1.5 hour sessions to get through the entire book reading it out loud. I highly recommend this book for anyone looking for a quick, meaningful read.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:31 AM   #47
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighWiredSith
That said, just finished reading this book to my kids. Have seen the ho-hum of a movie The Secret of NIMH a couple of times over the years but never ventured to discover the text from which the movie sprang.

Let me say that the Newberry Award winning novel was far and away superior to the film in almost every way. It's also SciFi (using chemical DNA injections to alter the genetic makeup of lab rats making them more intelligent than humans and greatly expanding their lifespans).
I was intrigued up to this point.
It sounds from this like a reasonable premise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWS
The basic story follows the troubles of Mrs. Frisby, a widowed field mouse with four children....
Wha??

At this point I have to confess to having been utterly gob-smacked - and laughed soooo hard.

HWS, I don't think I can ever take you seriously again.

p.s. I'm sure it's a great book - but just the idea of you reading a book about "Mrs. Frisby, a widowed field mouse with four children...." has me chuckling - almost with a tear!
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 12:09 PM   #48
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

Beast fables are some of the most celebrated of literary forms? Have you not heard of Chaucer?

This is, of course, a book intended for children and/or young adults, hence the talking animals. Yet, like truly great children's books, this one transcends its intended audience and is a very deep and moving book.

And if you've seen the animated film, beware. It alters much of the book and adds layers of silly misticism that are fitting for the Disney mentality but are no part of the book itself.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 04:07 AM   #49
Lt_Johnny_Rico
380 flights since Aug 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwata
Ya know, from the review I read of Armor, it's hard not to think it's simply a copy of Heinlein's Starship Troopers.

My first thoughts, upon picking it up, were like yours. I pretty much imagined it as a SST rip-off. I ended up reading it anyway, and I don't regret it. Granted, it is very similar in the basic premise (i.e. war between humans and insect-like race, the use of powered armors), but I enjoyed it immensely. There is a lot more combat, if you enjoy that sort of thing, which, knowing you, I'm sure you do. Armor is far more story-driven. (There are actually two storylines that are sort of interconnected.) Lastly, I found the characters to be more fleshed out, especially when it comes to the protagonist. More than just being a more action-packed rip-off of SST, Armor actually explores the psychology of the main character and how he reacts to the war and everything around him, and gives a lot more in terms of characterization. To tell you the truth, and this may sound like blasphemy to some, I liked Armor a lot more than SST. I don't know if you'd enjoy it or not, but I do recommend it highly. Just pretend that you've never even heard of Starship Troopers and pick up a copy of Armor. If you don't like it, you can always blame it on me.
Lt_Johnny_Rico is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room