Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Reading Room

Your quiet and comfy lounge to pick up a great book and discuss sci-fi literature.

Old Jun 13, 2006, 11:04 AM   #16
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
Re: The Sciflicks Reading Room - Resurrection

Interesting line. I wondered, as I read the book, if Ender would have reacted differently if he had known that, in the end, he was not playing a game at all, but running live combat missions. Would it have made a difference if he knew he was sacrificing actual lives to achieve his end goal. Ender seemed to have no problem weilding power to meet his ends when dealing with school bullies or anyone who opposed him.

Another interesting aspect to the novel is the paralell plot lines dealing with Ender and Peter. Both are quite obviously intelligent beyond their years, both having to overcome or hide their childhood in order to achieve very adult goals. In the end, it's Peter, the aggressive one, who uses non-aggresive means to achieve his goals and it's Ender, the one who seems to loathe aggression, who uses it to achieve power. In the end, who is the stronger one? Ender is quite obviously under strict control and loses much while Peter seems to have achieved a type of freedom.

I am working my way through the book for the second time in three months and it's just a good this read through, probably moreso.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:01 PM   #17
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005

Quote:
Interesting line. I wondered, as I read the book, if Ender would have reacted differently if he had known that, in the end, he was not playing a game at all, but running live combat missions. Would it have made a difference if he knew he was sacrificing actual lives to achieve his end goal. Ender seemed to have no problem wielding power to meet his ends when dealing with school bullies or anyone who opposed him.

He's compassion for life appears to have been his downfall, or a possible downfall. On the other hand, he did know how to protect his own liberities as seen through how he dealt with Stilson and (the other one. Can't remember. Barnard, right?). Although, he did not know that he killed both boys. What would he have done if he knew that they were going to die?

Quote:

Another interesting aspect to the novel is the parallel plot lines dealing with Ender and Peter. Both are quite obviously intelligent beyond their years, both having to overcome or hide their childhood in order to achieve very adult goals. In the end, it's Peter, the aggressive one, who uses non-aggresive means to achieve his goals and it's Ender, the one who seems to loathe aggression, who uses it to achieve power. In the end, who is the stronger one? Ender is quite obviously under strict control and loses much while Peter seems to have achieved a type of freedom.

Maybe the difference lies in serving your self as opposed to serving the greater good:

Quote:
" 'Welcome to the human race. Nobody controls his own life, Ender. The best you can do is choose to fill the roles given you by good people, by people who love you' " (page 313, Valentine).

Also, there is emphasis on individual freedom as well:

Quote:
"Isolate him enough that he remains creative--otherwise he'll adopt the system here and we'll lose him" (page 27).

"Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be" (page 231).

"Or perhaps it's just that none of us could be happy living with no other company than ourself" (page 240 [Valentine])

Here are the other excerpts I underlined, just to have them in one place for future reference:

Quote:
"Mother was twisting her wedding band on her finger" (page 18). This happend when Ender's parents were confronted by Graff regarding Ender's beating of Stilson. It just made me wonder if she was unconsciously reacting to the shame of Ender's potentially criminal behavior and her union with her husband. I just wanted to know if that's why Card put that action in there, if he meant to show the unconscious or conscious willingness of a person to run from a commitment if that commitment should, even indirectly, result in the ruin of one's reputation.

"Ender didn't like fighting. He didn't like Peter's kind, the strong against the weak, and he didn't like his own kind either, the smart against the stupid" (page 21).

"Ender's anger was cold, and he could use it. Bonzo's was hot, and so it used him" (page 87)

"Peter had even named it once, when he said that he could always see what other people hated most about themselves, and bully them, while Val could always see what other people liked best about themselves, and flatter them" (page 127)

"Everybody thinks Hitler got to power because of his armies, because they were willing to kill, and that's partly true, because in the real world power is always built on the threat of death and dishonor" (page 131).

"No he isn't, thought Ender. Small, yes. But Bean has been through a battle with a whole army depending on him and on the soldiers that he led, and heperformed splendidly, and they won. There's no youth in that. No childhood" (page 220).

" 'Maybe he and Peter and I are all the same, and have been all along. Maybe we only thought we were different from each other out of jealousy.' " (page 236).

" 'In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him' " (page 238)

" 'But it's so easy, when you never meet people, when you never know the Earth itself, when you live with metal walls keeping out the cold of space, it's easy to forget why Earth is worth saving. Why the world of people might be worth the price you pay.' " (page 243 [Graff])

" 'If the other fellow can't tell you his story, you can never be sure he isn't trying to kill you.' " (page 253 [Graff]).

"There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do' " (page 263, Rackham).

" 'Just because they didn't know they were killing human beings doesn't mean they weren't killing human beings' " (page 270 [Graff]).

" 'Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliamt on its behalf' " (page 277, Rackham).

"Ender took part in the work, as much as they would let him; it did not occur to them that this twelve-year-old boy might be as gifted at peace as he was at war" (page 309).

Last edited by toomuchcoffee : Jun 13, 2006 at 12:27 PM.
toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:06 PM   #18
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005

I took and break a read something else, but now I've started Ender's Shadow. This one is a great "three-day" read, too, and every bit as good, if I'm allowed to say this only 46 pages in, as Ender's Game.

Last edited by toomuchcoffee : Jun 15, 2006 at 11:19 PM.
toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room