Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ]

From "Faculty, The" to "Logan's Run"...

Old Jul 8, 2006, 05:35 PM   #1
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002
Lord of the Rings: Intervies

There are 13 threads dedicated to this trilogy, scattered through the forums in piecemeal fashion. What's new? Im not listing them here, but you can do your own search in just "titles only" and you'll come up with them.

Articles
Billy Boyd & Dominic Monaghan
http://www.cinecon.com/news.php?id=0312192

By Thomas Chau in New York City

You first saw them in the Shire two years ago. Now, Pippin and Merry complete their journey in “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.” During the first two films, the Hobbit friends have been side by side, but moviegoers will finally see how their stories divert as the two are separated for most of the movie in “The Return of the King.”

Billy Boyd (Pippin) and Dominic Monaghan (Merry) were in New York City recently to give their thoughts about the ending of the trilogy.

UGO: Can you guys talk about the sentiments going through your head, now that the trilogy has come to an end?

BILLY: Mmm, yeah, it’s sad that we won’t be working on this. It was such a special thing. We’ve all become good friends. If Tokien had written 50 books, we could have just had a career doing this!

DOMINIC: That would’ve been great!

BILLY: Except in the fourth one, it says that the Hobbits’ feet got a lot smaller. (Laughs) It’s good that there were three books, and that there were three films, and that the story makes sense. In the future, people can watch it as one story. It’s not [like] we made one movie and it was a success, and we said, “Oh, let’s make another one.” It’s just one story.

Q: It seems as if you guys have become really good friends. Did you guys know each much before this?

DOMINIC: We didn’t know each other, in any aspect, before “Lord of the Rings.”

BILLY (to Dominic): But I knew you from your magical theme. I used to watch you on TV.

DOMINIC: From my exemplary TV series…

BILLY: Yes.

DOMINIC: No, we didn’t know each other. We just met in New Zealand. We spent everyday, including our days off, with each other all the time. You just get to know someone very close.

Q: Are you guys still hanging out?

BILLY: Yeah, we still hang out.

DOMINIC: We spent a lot of time together this year. We went down to see Orlando [Bloom] in Mexico. We write together and we’re trying to get theaters involved with plays we want to do together in London and possibly New York. I think are ideal ethic would be that we go off, for three or four years and we do our own thing, and then we come back here and do something together again.

BILLY: We can do “Grumpy Old Men” together!

UGO: Have you guys played the video games as your own characters?

BILLY: The new one does have us, but as secret characters, but you have to finish the game. But I’ve never finished the game in my life. But I actually met the people from EA who make the game and they gave me the cheat code that you just put in and then we just pop out. How great is that?

DOMINIC: Brilliant.

BILLY (to Dominic): I’m going to play you.

DOMINIC: As Merry and Pippin in the game, we’re quite sarcastic. So if you have Aragorn, he’s like, “C’mon keep fighting, stay alive!” Whereas Merry and Pippin are like, “Oh, you’re rubbish! What are you doing?”

Q: Is there going to be a lot more of you guys on the extended version of “The Return of the King”?

DOMINIC: I think so. I think there probably will be a lot more. We’re aware of the footage and performances that got cut. There were probably nine scenes of mine that got cut in this movie. Some of them will be in there. It’s the nature of the beast. Stuff gets left on the cutting room floor. It has to because it necessarily doesn’t follow the story. When you’re showing stuff in the movies, the difference between showing this movie twice in a day or three times in a day is the difference between number 1 at the box office and number 4.

Q: How do you feel about fans standing outside in the cold for Trilogy Tuesday today? Tickets have gone for as high as $1000 on eBay…

BILLY: It’s madness isn’t it? I bought one but I couldn’t go because I had to talk to you guys! (Laughs) That was a thousand bucks for nothing!
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 05:36 PM   #2
mack
misanthrope
Re: Lord of the Rings: Intervies

Sean Astin
http://www.cinecon.com/news.php?id=0312182

Being the son of Academy Award-winning actress Patty Duke certainly is a fine stepping stone in the ladder that is Hollywood but ever since he was a kid, Sean Astin has shown that acting does pass on from generation to generation. Astin, fortunately, didn’t suffer the same fate as most of “The Goonies” cast, as he went on to star in pop culture favorites such as “Rudy” and “Encino Man” in the 90s. But it wasn’t until recently when Astin starred in “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy that Astin regained the spotlight. As Samwise Gamgee, the faithful sidekick and companion on Frodo Baggins’ journey, Astin shines in the third “Lord of the Rings” film as his character finds himself with many key moments and scenes. With a possible Oscar nomination in sight for him, this hobbit has every reason to stand three feet taller.

Astin was in New York a couple of days ago on the last leg of the “Lord of the Rings” press tour to speak about the film and the trilogy coming to an end.

UGO: Can you talk about sentiments going through your own head now that this four year journey is coming to a closure?

SEAN: In terms of sentiments, I think all the actors and all the crew – even the executive brass at the studio – there are a lot of complex feelings associated to the end of it. I think people are excited, I think people feel sentimental, I think people feel wistful. I think everyone also feels a sense of relief that the work is finally finished and it’s time to let go. I think today I’ve been feeling – cause a lot of positive reviews are coming in and saying some very flattering things – kind of at peace now with the talking about it. As an actor, you always wait for the other shoe to drop. I’m still waiting and it could still drop!

Q: How has this experience changed your life, if it has at all?

SEAN: I think it has pretty significantly changed my life. It’s changed my income. (Laughs) I mean, that does have an impact on the way you live and the way you relate to people. Like, I hire people now and I’ve never been able to do that before. I’ve always fantasized about it and I’m not as good as I thought I would be at it. Not to disparage my employees but their leader needs work. I think that when you’re the object of so much discussion at different levels, such as magazines, talk shows, reviews, we – by we, I mean the cast of the films – occupy so much space in the pop culture lexicon for a couple of years now. It affects the way you communicate with your family and friends. There’s sort of this ambient level of discussion that just exists and you can’t ignore it. Not that you’d want to but it definitely frames the initial part of interactions with people at different levels. I think that’s different for me than it ever has been in a way that I couldn’t have anticipated.

Q: Have you talked to your mom about possibly winning an Oscar?

SEAN: Yeah, I talk to her about it. I was actually running through Central Park and I had my cell phone with a [earpiece] and I was talking to her about that thought and idea. She’s pretty stoic about that and proud, if there’s even any discussion about it. I don’t think I can remember exactly what she said. Our conversations are a little awkward about it. I think I was just informing her that I was getting a sense that the studio was feeling positive about the movie and trying not to overstate it or get to much anticipation going about what possibilities might be. But I also wanted to enjoy the excitement of it because it doesn’t happen often.

Q: Your moment on Mount Doom with Frodo was one of the great moments of the trilogy. How did you feel when you shot that? How long ago was it?

SEAN: It was four years ago. That was one of the great moments of my professional life. [Director] Peter [Jackson] spilt into that moment. The story builds to that moment. It was an incredible acting experience, being on a side of a volcano with that language. It’s so beautiful. The language just services that thing in your instrument. When tears were streaming down Peter’s face, to see him that emotional forced me into it. It was great. I was in the parking lot at the base of the volcano just pumping my fists into the air like I had just scored a touchdown in the Superbowl. I just felt like it was that level of achievement. And it’s funny because when I see the movies now, I feel like it represents only some part of what it felt like.

Q: Talk about the juxtaposition of going from something like “Lord of the Rings” to an Adam Sandler comedy, “50 First Dates,” coming out this February…

SEAN: Yeah, I loved that I was given that opportunity by [director] Pete [Segal]. He’s so kind of outrageously comedic and I’ve never had that kind of opportunity in my life before. I know I’m capable of it and I think I started to show my chops but I think I got a little nervous around Adam and Rob Schneider. Rob Schneider is SO funny. I pulled up a little short of what I’m really capable of. But the part is good and I’ve seen the movie. It really works. Adam and Drew [Barrymore], you really care about them. You really want to see them together. It’s that “Wedding Singer” feeling. I think it will do really well.

Q: Who do you play in it?

SEAN: I play Drew’s brother, Doug. He speaks with a lisp for shameless comedic purposes. He wears workout clothes, like silly parachute pants. I’ve been saying that the tan he has in the movie makes George Harrison look like an albino. It’s all to be absurdly comedic. I’m doing splits all the time, and push-ups and jumping jacks. Dan Akroyd makes merciless fun of me in the movie. It was fun to do that and to know that audiences will be able to see that opposite [side of me.] I’m also in much better shape physically. I lost a lot of weight and I was working out but still, the character is supposed to be this incredible muscle bound guy but I’m not so it’s sort of a joke on that level too.

UGO: I got to ask you about the “Goonies” sequel. Everybody wants it! The cast, the fans…what’s the holdup?

SEAN: You’re talking to the wrong guy. Listen, I’m ready to go! Every time I see [Steven] Spielberg, he says that they’re almost ready and they got a script that they’re just about happy with. So I don’t know exactly what needs to be triggered for them to do it.

Q: You said somewhere that this trilogy is all about personal sacrifice. Was taking part in the movies, in a way, a personal sacrifice for you having to be away from your family and children?

SEAN: No, I don’t think so. My wife and daughter were with me in New Zealand and my baby had not been born yet. I suppose being away from my other family, like my mother, my brothers, and being out of America felt like a sacrifice. I don’t think it’s the same. I think there’s a lot of, somehow, opportunity is what the “Lord of the Rings “was. To be able to sacrifice so much for a part is more about the opportunity than it is about the sacrifice if you want to speak honestly about it.

UGO: Do you collect your own “Lord of the Rings” toys with your daughters?

SEAN: Basically, what happens is we’ll get a box in the mail and there will be a figure in it. My daughter will say, “Yeah, that looks more like you than the last one.” Then it goes back into the box and into the garage or something. We don’t keep them out for guests.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 05:37 PM   #3
mack
misanthrope

Elijah Wood
http://www.cinecon.com/news.php?id=0312171

Much like how Mark Hammil will forever be embedded in our memories from “Star Wars,” so will Elijah Wood be years from now whenever “Lord of the Rings” will be mentioned. Elijah’s young, innocent face as Frodo Baggins becomes the lasting image of the trilogy, especially when one thinks of his journey as the ringbearer that began in the Shire and ends at Mount Doom.

Elijah was in New York City recently to talk about the trilogy coming to an end.

UGO: Elijah, can you talk about the sentiments going through your own head now that this four year journey is coming to an end?

ELIJAH: Yeah, it’s strange. It’s strange it’s all coming to an end. I think part of it feels like it was going to continue to go on for the rest of our lives and I think we were all happy with that. I think we had our emotional end in June when we went back to do the pickups for the last film because that was really saying goodbye to the experience – the experience working with the crew and the cast. That was very difficult and emotional. Now, it’s nice to be releasing the last film. I think there’s a lot of excitement associated with this because it’s the movie, I think, we’ve most anticipated ourselves. There’s also a real sense of completion because we can look at the entirety of the trilogy and say we’ve done it. Our work is finished and there’s nothing more to be done. I think that’s a great feeling. As it comes to a close, we look to the relationships forged in New Zealand, and throughout the experience. That will carry on. The “fellowship” will carry on. That, I think, gives us great hope because we don’t have this anymore. Our lives will interweave.

Q: What kind of activities did you do in Queens Town, New Zealand? Any skydiving or bungee jumping?

ELIJAH: I didn’t do skydiving but I did paraponting. It’s AWWWsome. It’s like running off a hill with a parachute and you basically parachute over Queens Town. No bungee jumping either. I was the pussy in that.

Q: Who was the most daring?

ELIJAH: Orlando [Bloom] did everything man. He was like, ****ing Super-Elf. He did skydiving. He did bungee jumping. He went off-road motorcycle racing, which I’ve done in the past, but being the daredevil that he is – you have an instructor that takes you along these paths and Orlando’s like, “Can we go up this side?” And the instructor says, “No, you can’t go up there, you won’t be able to get down,” and what does Orlando do? He ****ing goes up there and yells down, “My bike won’t stop! I can’t get down!” Classic Orlando.

Q: How has the “Lord of the Rings” experience changed your life?

ELIJAH: Oh my God. It’s informed my life in so many ways down to the friends that I’ve made, that I will have for the rest of my life that is family to me. The effect that New Zealand had on me; that it was such an incredibly pure place and incredibly pure people. I think the experience asked so much from us to a point where we learned how much we were able to give and what we were capable of doing, which I think teaches you quite a lot as well. There has been a lot of growing through the various life experiences that the film has afforded us in the past couple of years. We’re different people now. I think we’re different people also because of the effect that we’ve had on each other. We’ve influenced each other quite a lot.

Q: Have you become spiritual at all?

ELIJAH: I’ve always been spiritual. I always acknowledged that I wouldn’t be where I am without the blessings that I have. Some people see the good things that happen to them in life as luck and I see them as blessings. My spiritual outlook has always been a relationship and acknowledgement of that presence in my life and the fact that it’s because of those blessings that I’m here today.

UGO: Do you collect your own “Lord of the Rings” toys and stuff?

ELIJAH: Totally. I call up New Line and say, “Listen: Whatever you get, send it my way. No matter what it is.”

UGO: What about the video games? Have you played them yourself?

ELIJAH: I’ve got the games, definitely. I haven’t played much of the new one. But they’re all great.

Q: Are you a video game guru? What platform do you have?

ELIJAH: I’ve got them all.

Q: How do you feel about Sean Astin possibly getting an Oscar nomination for his role?

ELIJAH: The man deserves it. It’s an incredible, tour de force performance. He’s absolutely brilliant. He deserves anything he gets. He makes me cry so many times and he’s so wonderful to work with and a dear friend. I support him, I want everything for him.

Q: Are you conscious right now, when you’re looking for roles, to find something very different from Frodo so that you aren’t typecast?

ELIJAH: It’s not too hard to do something different from Frodo because there aren’t that many roles that are similar to [him]. It’s a pretty unique opportunity and a pretty unique character. I’m just trying to find roles that are different from anything I’ve ever played before; certainly an embodiment of the human experience that I have not experienced yet.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:33 PM   #4
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005

I haven't gotten around to reading these interviews, I guess I will eventually, but I really enjoy listening to the actor's commentary while watching the movies.
toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 01:20 PM   #5
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchcoffee
I haven't gotten around to reading these interviews, I guess I will eventually, but I really enjoy listening to the actor's commentary while watching the movies.

I enjoy counting the number of time Elijah wood uses the word "fantastic" and particularly enjoy Elijah Wood and Sean Astin try to outgush each other's timeless and epic performances in The Return of the King.

Billy and Domanic are pretty funny though and of course it's cool every time Sean Bean, Bernard Hill, or Ian McKellan chime in. The best commentary, however, is the commentary by Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, and Phillipa Boyens. I actually appreciated the films more after their commentary, especially when the put the stuff the left out in context.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 02:38 PM   #6
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall

Yeah, I've listend to some of their commentary, if not all or most of it. I just remember appreciating why they made Boromir susceptible to the ring's allure as opposed totally immune as he was in the book.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 02:52 PM   #7
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Boromir? You mean Faramir? Yes, I was also very critical of the major changes they made in The Two Towers. It's one thing to cut out major sections of a book for film, another thing entirely to totally change characters (as they did Faramir) and add scenes and situations not in the text (like the entire journey of Frodo, Sam, and Gollum to Osgilioth). But, after hearing their commentary and watching some of the extras, I can at least appreciate their reasons behind doing so.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 03:01 PM   #8
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall

Faramir. That's right. I can't believe I said that. It's been too long, I guess. I read the interviews, they're pretty good. Orland Bloom sounds like he's actually pretty fun. I gotta figure out a way to try stuff like that. I guess it takes some money. I wonder how much they took home each week or whatever, during the filming. I wonder if they made a set amount or percentage of revenue.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 04:33 PM   #9
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Boromir, Faramir - all those Gondorian names sound the same!

I have not listened to any of the commentary from the effects guys. Have you? Those may be interesting.

Another thing, you notice how big a crush Miranda Otto (Eowyn) has on the very married Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn)?
Old Aug 22, 2006, 05:47 PM   #10
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall

Ah, actually, I'm not sure I picked that up, but was it she who said that Viggo was famous with all of the women? I didn't pick up on that, but I suppose I would if I thought about it.

As to the effects guys, no I didn't but maybe I will. The only effects stuff I got was from watching the documentaries.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 08:31 AM   #11
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Yeah, I really enjoyed the documentaries on the effect and CGI work. One gets the impression that the dude in charge of WETA (the one that talks like the guy off Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous) was head honcho when it came to special effects and Peter Jackson was relegated a comfy but distant back seat. Made me realize the effectiveness of having two artists in control of a film as opposed to one benevolent and omnipotent dictator calling all the shots (ahem - George Lucas).

In the end, I think WETA blew ILM away as far as effects go, at least when you compare the LOTR trilogy to the Prequels.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ]