Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Reading Room

Your quiet and comfy lounge to pick up a great book and discuss sci-fi literature.

Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:31 PM   #1
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002
Your Current Library?

What's in your scifi/fantasy library at the mo?

Some of my authors are:

Fantasy:
Christopher Stasheff
Roger Zelazny
Robin Hobb
Carol Berg (new, and good - much like Robin Hobbs style)
Terry Brooks
Rachel Caine (new)
David Eddings
Holly Lisle
Charlaine Harris
Steven Gould (scifi/fantasy)
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Anne McCaffrey (scifi/fantasy)
Deborah Chester
Mary Herbert
George Lucas/Chris Claremont
Elizabeth Moon
Jennifer Roberson
Laurell K. Hamilton (entire series given to a friend)
P. N. Elrod
Anne Bishop
Barbara Hambly
Donald Kingsbury
Wendy Robertson
S.M. Stirling
Jennifer Fallon
S.D. Tower
Kristen Britain
Marian Hughes
Steven Harper
Elizabeth Lynn
Don Callander

Science Fiction
Frank Herbert
Brian Herbert
David Weber
Elizabeth Moon (mix)
Steven Gould
Tara K. Harper (mix)
Jack McDevitt
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 02:07 PM   #2
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,026 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
Re: Your Current Library?

My book collection would frighten all that would attempt to visualize it I'll give you a list as soon as I get my internet back at my home LOL
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 08:52 AM   #3
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

I could spend all day and not even come up with half of what resides in my bookshelves (and in boxes in my attic, and my mother's basement).
Here are some of my on-hand books that are lying around the house becuase I have recently read them and haven't found them a home on my bookshelf or are in the process of reading them:

SF
> Alastair Reynolds: just finished his Revelation Space trilogy, have started Chasm City but have not gotten far.
> MM Buckner: War Surf
> Charles Stross: Accelerando
> Orson Scott Card: Enderís Game just read again, and have Speaker for the Dead in the bullpen.
> Frank Hebert: Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, still trying to get through the series.
> John Scalzi: Old Manís War and The Ghost Brigades, purchased, not read yet.
> Ursula K. LeGuin: The Dispossessed, purchased but not read
> Ted Dekker: Black, was recommended by a church friend as being Christian SciFi, read about half of it and was unimpressed, the first book of a series, kind of a cross between Tom Clancy and The Matrix, just not very well written imo.

Fantasy
> Mervyn Peake: Still reading through Titus Groan
> Robert Jordan: Reading The Fires of Heaven, completed Shadow Rising last Spring and The Dragon Reborn before it. I am determined to work my way through Jordanís series before the final book is published around 2008.
> R.A. Salvatore: Icewind Dale trilogy and Hunterís Blade trilogy, reading off and on.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 08:03 PM   #4
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

I wanna see your library Sith! And OP is scaring me, cuz I've seen his DVD library. Hey, Prime - you could lend me some book, were I in your neighborhood, eh?
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 08:14 AM   #5
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack
I wanna see your library Sith!

Well, I was a literature major in college and an English Literature and Drama teacher for several years so the greater bulk of my collection is not Science Fiction or Fantasy, in fact, it's only about half fiction. I enjoy reading biographies and historical texts and, of course, political and religious books. One day, when I get my dream home built, I will have a proper library, something with one of those ladders that you can roll around the room. Have yet to decide how I will organize my books, by author or subject or perhaps in alphabetical order.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 05:24 AM   #6
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

What's in my current SF library? Not bloody enough. I don't go shopping round 2nd hand bookshops as often as I used to. I ought to pick that habit up again.

My pride and joy of the few SF books in my collection is The Collected Short Stories of Arthur C. Clarke. All of them, or at least all the ones he could find up till about 2000ish, I think. Great stuff
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room