Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Reading Room

Your quiet and comfy lounge to pick up a great book and discuss sci-fi literature.

Old Sep 30, 2006, 08:00 PM   #16
mightymem
Recruit Pilot
14 flights since Sep 2006
Re: Graphic novels

Ha ha I just going to say comic books so we can stay on topic !
mightymem is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 04:38 AM   #17
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

I've got "Sandman" vols 1-6 and have read the first 3 - top stuff indeedy.

I've also got "Ghost in the Shell" - which is a collection of stories on which the first film was based. Great stuff as well - all that "What is a human" philosophy.

What else....

Oh yes - "Watchmen" - very good.

I want to get that book about the Spartans... Frank Miller's "300". That's meant to be good.
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 05:17 PM   #18
merlin
Sector Marshall
685 flights since Apr 2004

Frank Millers 300 is well worth the money.

As with the likes of Sandman, Preacher and rank Millers series, can you class them as Graphic Novels? as they're just the monthly stories collected in a volume.

I would rate GNs as complete one off stories like I Am Legend, Punisher Return to Big Nothing etc.
merlin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 04:23 AM   #19
Jove
Sector Marshall

Things like the Sandman are graphic novels - each volume is one complete story - or at least the ones I've got are.
Whether they were serialised in other magazines first or not is irrelevant - each volume is a standalone story - albeit in graphic format.

And things like "Ghost in the Shell", where they appear to be just a collection of monthly stories - as long as the collection tells a whole then it is no different to a novel that deals with different issues in each chapter... the main arc through the stories is what matters.

True - a large number are just a collection of stories unconnected other than through characters (e.g. a US tv serial - such as ST:TNG) - but when there is a genuine arc through the stories in the collection (e.g. Babylon 5) then that is sufficient.

Anyhoo - just purchased "300" on Amazon - along with "Ronin", "Watchmen" (realised it was a friend's copy I had read previously) and "V for Vendetta" (which I really liked the film, and understand that the GN is far superior!!)
Old Oct 3, 2006, 06:09 PM   #20
merlin
Sector Marshall

Watchmen was the first ever GN I bought and it was about 20 years ago It's funny I'm looking up at the cover now.

Another Moore classic is V for Vendetta but remember it was written during Thatchers britain.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 03:45 AM   #21
Jove
Sector Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Another Moore classic is V for Vendetta but remember it was written during Thatchers britain.
Yeah - and yet today's government is seemingly far more corrupt and incompetent than anything in Maggie's era (except near the end, when one marble escaped). She reformed much that needed reforming. I know it is easy to extrapolate from such a capatilistic position into the V-for-Vendetta society - but today's Labour government is actually much closer - especially with the terrorist threat.

There was a great episode of Spooks recently on about a group in the government effectively wanting to seize power through a Bill on Terror type thing. Very scary stuff - in a thought-provoking way.

As I said, I loved the film and if the GN is better then should be well worth the purchase.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 12:44 PM   #22
merlin
Sector Marshall

Went to a comic convention the other weekend and met Bryan Talbot and was pretty miffed as I have a signed copy of Batman Masks framed on my wall with the other issue that went with it, I would have liked to get it sined too.

Anyway he did a cool Merlin pic for Pilgrimine and I got a signed dedicated copy of Luther Arkwright.

Has anyone else read this story? The art detail is "Wow"

Old Nov 15, 2006, 09:18 PM   #23
Sleeper
Wing Commander
318 flights since Mar 2003

Did any one else pick up the ABSOLUTE SANDMAN volume 1 collection? I think I might be liable to break my own arms if I was to read that off a table and might be close to crushing my legs if on the lap. Truly one mega monster beast.

First GN I've ever bought was THE PRO by Palmiotti and Conner. Then again, I do think it was originally released as a three-part series.
Sleeper is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 04:29 AM   #24
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

I'd like Absolute Sandman, but I think it's a tad out of my price range.

Also, good to see you back, Sleeper, don't think you've been around for a while, have you?
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 07:14 AM   #25
Sleeper
Wing Commander
318 flights since Mar 2003

I was on the hunt for a cheap place to pick up AB-SANDMAN. Managed to score it fairly cheap with a discount card. That is if you can call $130 cheap - though they did throw in a 10th anniversary Sandman statue along. And now there's only three more to collect out the volume run.

And yeah, I think the last time I was here was about 9 months ago? So glad my account wasn't deleted.
Sleeper is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 07:24 AM   #26
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

Hurrah! Nice Graphic-Novelly themed avatar too.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 02:10 PM   #27
merlin
Sector Marshall

I got the V mask too. I'm trying to get a head mount and a black bob wig so It can join the other movie stuff in the room. At the moment it's just hanging off the wall.

Got 30 Days of Night at last.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:59 AM   #28
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

As far as graphic novels go, "300" is, to me, a masterpiece. I'm so excited about the movie I can hardly wait. I'll likely be seeing it in New Zealand which will only make that all the more exciting!
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 07:20 PM   #29
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

Madonna Versus the Lizardmen!

Naw, it's from the forthcoming Buffy S8 comic.

Brian K Vaughan - The Runaways guy I've been babbling about - is to write a Faith arc. Hur, and indeed, Rah!!!
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 12:12 AM   #30
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

There's no part of that post I didn't like Even the bit that refers to a comic I've never read
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room