Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Upcoming Movies

Scoops, news, gossip and rumors abound...

Old Aug 13, 2007, 09:11 AM   #1
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
The Hobbit

First Hobbit news in about nine months.

Quote:
The Los Angeles Times reports that New Line's Bob Shaye is in talks with filmmaker Peter Jackson's representatives to potentially work something out in regards to his involvement in the "Lord of the Rings" prequel adaptation of "The Hobbit".

Shaye says "Yes, that's a fair statement. Notwithstanding our personal quarrels, I really respect and admire Peter and would love for him to be creatively involved in some way with THE HOBBIT."

The result is one of the juiciest rumours in a while. IESB reports that although Jackson won’t be back to direct, a source of theirs is telling them that Sam Raimi is looking to direct with Peter Jackson attached to produce.

Raimi has previously said he would not take on the project without Jackson’s blessing and is apparently leaning towards it as his next project rather than the "Clash of the Titans" remake.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 09:40 PM   #2
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,026 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
Re: The Hobbit

Well, I suppose that's a point in Raimi's favor, wanting Jackson's blessing first. So which New Line bigwig said he would never work with Jackson again?

Does it really matter? The movie rights will be returning to Zaentz and Co. soon anyway.
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 01:59 AM   #3
Sharky
Cluster Admiral
1,670 flights since Nov 2001

Raimi and Jackson?......That could work
Sharky is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 08:34 AM   #4
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Kinda reminds me of Lucas/Spielberg - One hugely successful, kinda plump and bearded director with three enormously successful fantasy films on his resume teaming up with a short, Jewish every-mans director whose films are not quite as grand but far more accessible to the masses and just as successful.

Okay, Rami might not be Jewish.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 05:03 AM   #5
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

The Evil Dead films are more accessible to the masses than the Lord of the Rings films?
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 07:05 AM   #6
Sonny
Wing Commander
444 flights since May 2006

In a better world I would've preferred Jacko to have directed. New Line are being a bunch of rear orifices by not letting him do what he wants.

As for Raimi, I just don't know: yeah he's done some good stuff in the past but I don't know whether he has the same attention for detail that PJ had with LOTR
Sonny is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 10:42 AM   #7
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

Well, if Jackson really were to produce it and pull WETA with him, I'm sure Raimi wouldn't have much choice. I'm sure Jackson would be hovering nearby during the entire process LOL
Old Aug 15, 2007, 11:09 AM   #8
Sharky
Cluster Admiral
1,670 flights since Nov 2001

I've just had a mental image of Jackson playing that father character in The Fast Show - always hanging around saying "No you don't wanna do it like that, you wanna do it like this!"
Sharky is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:58 PM   #9
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Good news - finally - does appear that PJ is going to help the prequels ***spits nasty taste out of mouth*** after all...

Quote:
Jackson and studios agree to make Hobbit films

Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:25pm EST
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - After months of bitter legal wrangling, Peter Jackson, New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc have agreed to make two movies based on the book "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien.
In a statement Tuesday, the companies said Jackson, the director of the smash hit "Lord of the Rings" movies, and producer Fran Walsh will executive produce both a "Hobbit" movie and a sequel, but Jackson was not named as the director.
"We don't have a director yet," said a New Line spokeswoman.
The movies will be made simultaneously starting in 2009, and a tentative release date has been set for 2010 for the first film and 2011 for the second.
MGM and New Line, a unit of Time Warner Inc, will co-finance the films, with New Line distributing them in the United States and MGM internationally.
MGM is a closely held company owned by several private equity firms and media divisions of Sony Corp and Comcast Corp.
Science fiction fantasy "The Hobbit" tells of a world inhabited by wizards, dwarfs, elves and little people called hobbits, who include the central character, Bilbo Baggins.
"The Hobbit" preceded Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" books, which were made into smash hit movies by New Line, starting with 2001's "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring."
Combined with two sequels -- "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" and "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" -- the three took in roughly $3 billion at global box offices.
The final movie, "Return of the King," won Oscars for best movie and best director for Jackson. But the director later sued New Line, claiming the studio had improperly accounted for the movie's profits and owed Jackson money.
That suit has now been settled, allowing movies based on "The Hobbit" to go into development, with Jackson attached and with MGM, which owned film rights to "The Hobbit," as part of the team.
"I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line," Jackson said in a statement.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:48 AM   #10
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

It looks like Peter Jackson is only executive producing (sounds an awful lot like what George Lucas did after Star Wars - although PJ is still directing other films) and yes, Sam Rami is actually directing. Not sure how to take this to be honest. Rami is an excellent director but his style is considerably tounge in cheek. The single greatest thing that Peter Jackson did for LOTR (and fantasy films in general) is to take a fantasy epic and treat is as an historical epic. He took the genre and the material seriously, something that hadn't been attempted since the mediocre Arthur epic Excalibur. I just wonder if Rami can or will do the same.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:04 AM   #11
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

I'm sorry but what does jackson have on his plate thats better than the hobbit?
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 03:12 PM   #12
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

My thought's exactly. Personally, I think the whole deal with New Line really turned him off to it.

And BTW - they are planning two films. According to an interview with Elijah Wood, the first film will be The Hobbit and the second film will take place in the 60 years between The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring. I can hear the low rumble from hard core purist fandom already...
Old May 15, 2008, 02:45 PM   #13
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Benico Del Toro has been officially announced as the director of the two new films and both Ian McKellan (Gandalf) and Andy Serkis (Gollum) have been locked into their roles.

Del Toro is a solid director and I am excited. I remain suspicious, however, of this so-called "bridge" movie. Early word is that nearly the entire cast of LOTR will be back (just rumor). It wasn't enough for Peter Jackson and company to add stuff to the LOTR and piss off thousands of fans, now they're adding an entire book/story! It's either bold and daring or just plain stupid - won't know till we see it I guess.
Old May 16, 2008, 02:10 AM   #14
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander

Hey as long as Peter Jackson and McKellan/Serkis are on board for it, I'm happy. I love the books as much as anyone. But can you imagine trying to film it just like the way it is in the books?? Insanity all around.
Old May 16, 2008, 08:55 AM   #15
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

The essential problem is that The Hobbit is stylistically a completely different book. The tone is lighter, the story is fairly linear not to mention quite simplistic. Another major issue is possibly that there are no human characters save Gandalf (yes, I know Gandalf isn't human, but he looks human and it does matter) - there's no Aaragorn, no guy played by Val Kilmer in Willow - you know, the dashing young male character.

In the book, Tolkien makes references to contemporary objects like post offices and the game of golf and addresses the reader quite directly. In short, it's a children's book. I suspect that PJ and GDT are planning to make a film very simlar to LOTR. I'm not sure if this is gonna work or not.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies