Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Upcoming Movies

Scoops, news, gossip and rumors abound...

Old Jan 25, 2010, 01:50 PM   #31
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
Re: Avatar 2009

You know, I recall thinking when I sent to see it, if the extra $3 a piece we had to shell out for the 3D glasses would be added to the total box office take. I figure it cost, on average, around $14 to see Avatar, a good $4 higher than your average non-3D movie. I wonder if the extra charge is calculated? If so, no wonder it's still #1.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 02:29 PM   #32
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

Wow!

Here, we payed 6 bucks a piece to see Avatar in digital, and... the same to see the 3D version! We didn't have to pay for the glasses.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 04:44 PM   #33
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

Didn't pay for the glasses? Figures. I wonder if the Chinese are paying for their glasses?
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 05:41 PM   #34
Camfan
Wing Commander
364 flights since Mar 2002

Ok, I've been avoiding this thread for a while because I hadn't seen the film, now that I have I shall weigh in with my two cents.

I really liked it. Honestly, I did. Now first and foremost I'm always willing to say that yes I'm going to be biased because I'm a fan of James Cameron, but I can be critical.

As for one dimensional characters and plot holes, yes there were, absolutely no question. Did they bother me? Not in the slightest. What this film is, is a fairy tale in exactly the same way that Star Wars, Lord of the Rings et al are fairy tales. I thought it was completely in keeping with style, you're not supposed to bog yourself down in the complexities of the characters, at least I didn't think so, you're supposed to see what's coming a mile off and enjoy watching the ride get there.

Dances with Wolves in space, absolutely, I really liked Dances with Wolves too. As for the 'it takes a white man to save the savages' outlook of the film, I think that's actually granting the film more intentional subtext than it deserves. The messages are very clear, relocation of indigenous peoples = bad. Nature = good etc etc. If you're searching for some kind of underlying racist superior sentiment, watch The Last Samurai, a film that tries much harder to be complex and dark (it doesn't really succeed of course)

The visuals of the film are superb, that's all I'll say because you've all seen it and know how good they are.

I'll finish with this thought, there are many many vacuous films that try to take you on an enjoyable ride and leave you with a warm and fuzzy feeling. (2012, the end of the world seen with a message of hope and frivolity? Eugh) Not many films achieve this as well as Avatar do. We all know it's a popcorn film. You're supposed to disengage your brain because the film will do the work for you, you're supposed to sit, giggle, marvel at the effects, smile embarrassed at the cheesy moments and leave feeling happy. This I feel it did with aplomb.

If you want to watch a film that challenges you, that makes you question, that makes you study the performances for every nuance, that leaves you intrigued and perhaps disturbed at what you find, then it's painfully, blatantly, mind-bogglingly obvious that Avatar is not that film. And if someone went to watch Avatar expecting that then they are either one of two things 1) Intentionally expecting something they know full well the film will not deliver in order to enjoy slating it later, or 2) F*cking stupid.

I love all different types of films and I see nothing wrong once in a while with complete suspension of disbelief and enjoying an epic popcorn movie that's done well.

There you go anyway, just my opinion.
Camfan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 08:51 PM   #35
Sharky
Cluster Admiral
1,670 flights since Nov 2001

Over here, 3D films are more expensive than 2D films, but the glasses are included in that price increase, and you get a new pair every time you see a 3D film.
Sharky is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 11:29 AM   #36
Clay
Starfighter
149 flights since Mar 2004

I enjoyed it but certainly dont think it was worthy of the hype or box off #s it produced.
Clay is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 04:22 PM   #37
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky
Over here, 3D films are more expensive than 2D films, but the glasses are included in that price increase, and you get a new pair every time you see a 3D film.
Ahem, Sharky....you're suposed to give them back, kinda like cutlery.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 04:56 PM   #38
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

My theater never said anything about giving them back.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:13 AM   #39
JACKER
The Paradisal Man
1,359 flights since Dec 2001

I didn't have to give them back. I did opt to drop them in the recycle bin though. The glasses didn't resonate as a fashion statement worth making outside the film complex.
JACKER is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 02:11 PM   #40
Sharky
Cluster Admiral

Yes, you are allowed to keep your glasses, or you can recycle them in the bins provided. I work in a cinema - I tell this to people several times a day.

If a cinema is making you give them back, complain!
Old Feb 9, 2010, 05:25 PM   #41
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

I have lifted one pair, I refuse to take more, it's just wasteful.

edit: I then tried to use them for the Channel 4 3d special, unfortuanetly the only program I caught was about the Queens Coronation, dodgy picture from a hundred million years agooooooo = headache.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 09:32 PM   #42
Sharky
Cluster Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
Actually, Sith, if we go by adjusted dollars of Domestic Gross, Avatar isn't even close to the highest grossing film of all time. That would go to Gone With The Wind, followed by Star Wars, The Sound of Music and E.T. Little Avatar is just 26th on the list of all times.
http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

It's up to 15! 'Return of the Jedi' is looking behind itself nervously....
Old Mar 4, 2010, 02:43 AM   #43
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies
1,104 flights since Jun 2004

That critter the blue guy kills with the bow is by far the funniest thing i have ever seen. Something about its growl or whatever.
Demosthemighty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 01:42 PM   #44
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Why would we go by domestic gross? Adjusted is one thing, but adjusted domestic? Avatar's making most of it's money overseas whereas Gone With The Wind only made about half of it's gross in foreign markets. You're basically comparing a quarter of Avatar's worldwide earnings to half of GWTW's. Am I missing something?

And holy ****- I didn't realize that 101 Dalmations was such a big ****ing deal. I mean good LOOOORD that's a lot of money.

Last edited by SF_not_Sci-Fi : Mar 5, 2010 at 01:52 PM.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 07:01 PM   #45
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

Common sense would tell us the real and accurate measure of a film's success would be the number of tickets sold. Any other measure is grossly subjective and inaccurate. Posted in the mess about Alice in Wonderland earning the largest domestic take ever - yet again, you take off the average 30% for 3D and it's not even close. Worse, one can see the accounting cogs in Hollywood churning - imagine if we made every move in 3D and by default jacked ticket prices up 30% and washed away much of the appeal of waiting for DVD, virtually forcing patrons back into overpriced cinemas for something you can't get at home. Doesn't take a genius to see where this is going.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies