Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

All sci-fi movies which have too many fantasy elements/unexplained phenomenae to classify properly as science fiction.

Old Aug 27, 2009, 04:23 PM   #1
Camfan
Wing Commander
364 flights since Mar 2002
Big Trouble In Little China

I hadn't seen this film in years and I watched it this afternoon before going in to work, I have to say I really enjoyed it! It probably stands out, for me, as my favourite John Carpenter film. Now I know all you 'Thing' fans will choke on these words but I can't help it, I love it! It probably stems from the fact that I watched it a lot as a kid, it was one of my favourite movies then so that's always going to skew on'e appreciation when it impacts upon childhood memories.

Don't get me wrong, I think the thing is a great movie, and as for John Carpenter's oeuvre it's probably his best piece of work (I know we all love escape from L.A. ) but Big trouble in little China is just my favourite. I love Kurt Russell playing the comedy role as the useless hero. He plays it to perfection, a much underestimated comic talent I think. I love the ridiculous nature of the story, the over the top characters (especailly James Hong, he rules!) and the three storms are badass. Not to mention the fact that I've always had a crush on Kim Catrall ever since watching Mannequin as a kid. I'm fairly sure she was probably my first awakening to immature sexual thoughts! (She still looks good now I think, if she offered I don't think I'd have the strength to say no!)

Anyway, I figured it deserved a little mention so there we are.
Camfan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 08:07 PM   #2
DarthJohn
Wing Commander
274 flights since Dec 2005
Re: Big Trouble In Little China

This was an awesome fantasy-action-comedy movie that is just perfect at it's best even the special effects which kicks the crap out of CGI.

Did you think Thunder looked like a Garbage Pail Kid when he was inflating and was that Salad he blew out of his body when he exploded? it looked like it, maybe he had some for lunch or he's a vegetarian.
DarthJohn is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy