Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Dune (1984)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Dune (1984)

A world beyond your experience, beyond your imagination. | guide

Old Nov 10, 2010, 04:09 AM   #1
DarthJohn
Wing Commander
274 flights since Dec 2005
David Lynch's movie was such a turd.

I mean i wish the studios never hired David Lynch for he doesn't know jack**** of the books as he read the book for 2 months then wrote the script. It turned out to become a large 47 million dollar clunker that deserved to bomb at the box-office with audiences and critics even fans.

I am a fan of the Dune books since i was 12 in the early 90's then in the late 90's i rented this movie and felt sad inside as i cried at the end when it rained for the film was so bad i wish it could be thrown into a black hole. Bad acting, muddled scripting, confusion, laughable special effects and it's just one big mess that Lynch disowned.
DarthJohn is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 04:25 PM   #2
Camfan
Wing Commander
364 flights since Mar 2002
Re: David Lynch's movie was such a turd.

Well don't blame Lynch for it, as you say Lynch disowned the movie, he rightly saw all the problems with it, all the interference from the studio etc etc and therefore took his name off it as it was no longer his movie. I'm a big fan of Dune myself, and as I've said before in various other threads, I still think it's an unfilmable novel. There's just no way of doing it true justice on screen.
Camfan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:40 AM   #3
DarthJohn
Wing Commander

Well the upcoming new movie which should be 4 parts will do Dune justice unlike Lynch's mistake.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:11 PM   #4
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

Don't bet on it, DJ.
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Wachesaw
Wing Commander
428 flights since Mar 2003

Haven't there been a few attempts at making a "faithful" or whatever adaption of this story already? And weren't they all awful, way worse than the (ridiculous, confusing, funny, awkward, lovely) Lynch movie? I haven't read the books or anything, but I think this is one of those things that you have to leave up to people's imaginations. The imaginations of people with incredible attention spans and a srious dedication. Maybe there's just too much stuff.
Wachesaw is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

Having read all the Dune novels and even the ones continuing the story by his son, Brian and Kevin Anderson, I can honestly say I thought that SciFi's version was quite good, especially after they released the extended edition on DVD.

The follow-up, Children of Dune, however, was pretty bad, especially considering they mashed two books together to make it, rather than keep them as seperate stories and flesh them out better.
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 12:40 PM   #7
DarthJohn
Wing Commander

We have plenty of Dune-inspired movies already over the years such as:

Star Wars.
The Fifth Element.
The Matrix Trilogy.
Stargate.
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds (a.k.a. Warriors of the Wind).
The Dark Crystal.

All these movies share elements and themes to Frank Herbert's Sci-fi/fantasy masterpiece. Who agrees that these movies share themes as the novel? even The Matrix?

Let's see Paul Artedis battle Neo and Jake Sully and which is more unique? Unorbtanium or Melenge.

The problem with Lynch's Dune is that it was a F ***** Lynch movie, not a Dune movie. He was the wrong man! just because someone was impressed by Elephant Man doesn't mean they have to have him. Lynch made a digusting abortion with his usual grossness added in the movie, he made the Baron a zit-faced disgusting joker instead of a clean faced serious politician, his nephews were clowns, he added some stuff like raining on Arrakis and that sort of thing that insults the novels.

Say OptimusPrime75 since your an 80's kid, did you ever see this movie in theaters and remembered those pamphlets they gave out to audiences as cheatsheets on characters, languages and worlds? I'm glad i didn't because born in 1982 was something for i was only 2 that year but my 2 big brothers did saw it in theaters. I do admit the Toto soundtrack was very cool and better than the film itself.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Dune (1984)