Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Administrative Nexus > Suggestions and problems

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Old Aug 8, 2001, 05:16 AM   #1
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000
Question Re: To all Admin. about the TOP 25

When I first discovered this site I was hooked on making the best posible rating for my favorite flics . And I keept on giving my votes each time a loged on but then I realised that you guys ( admins) kept on reseting the top 25 . So I gave up on the Idea. Anyway it occured to me that having a Fair and unique TOP 25 is a good thing. It would be like a general opinion of the users on this site.

But how could we have a fair TOP 25 list when someone could: Log on , give votes, log off, log on, give votes again etc......?
It's simple. How about if each of the registred users had an extra parameter in his profile : A TOP 10 List of his movies. So each of the movies would get points for the position the user assigned to them. (for ex . 10 pt for first , 9 for second etc)

THis would sum up with all the points from other users into a unique and fair TOP 25. Users could edit their top 10 list when they thought they changed their mind and so on their points would be uppdated. But if want to vote You'll have to be registred... How about it?

Last edited by Ivan : Jun 3, 2003 at 08:56 AM.
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2001, 06:18 PM   #2
Bayleaf48
Hero Of Time
1,316 flights since Jun 2001
Smile Re: To all Admin. about the TOP 25

Good idead Ivanhoe, let's hope that your idea will become reality very soon because I will definitely vote for it being used!
Bayleaf48 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2001, 12:15 AM   #3
Ivan
Re: To all Admin. about the TOP 25

So... Ramses where are you ? Do you actualy read these suggestions?
Old Aug 17, 2001, 12:59 AM   #4
Ramses
Administrator
209 flights since Jul 2000

[yup, I read this indeed, but I don't always reply... I read, analyze and classify all suggestions, but I'm not a good communicator enough to reply to all the mesages/email I get. One of my many flaws... ]

Good idea indeed Ivanhoe! The old top 25 list was nice, but it was easy indeed to influence a vote. Furthermore, current movies tended to be overly ranked and were given higher marks than classics because, well, I figure that whenever someone just came out of the theater he's all happy and hyper and joyfully gives that movie a perfect 10. No gray zone, not an 8, just a olympian 10.

I like you're idea of having a personal list that influences on the ranking of movies in a top list. Cool stuff! I'm actually working with my buddies on a new, flexible software (a content management system) that will be used to make and dynamically run other sites like SciFlicks.com (well, on other topics than sci-fi... ). We've implemented a basic system that actually and intelligently identifies (un)registered voters and prevents them from abusing the system. Well, it's not perfect nor foolproof, but it does the job and prevents "vote, logoff, logon, vote again" situations without relying exclusively on cookies. It could easily be expanded to include your idea. Why am I talking about this? Well, because we'll transfer SciFlicks.com in a few (undetermined number of) weeks to this new software. The move may not be all smooth (some lost features, many added ones), but it'll be for the better in the long run. And we'll have a good rating system in place!

Cheers!
Ramses is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2001, 12:01 AM   #5
Ivan

Well I'm happy to hear that you're still working on improving these forums. I'm looking foward to seeing the new version.

PS: I just hope that there will be no sevrver problems again, like the last time. So good luck!!!
Old Aug 21, 2001, 06:09 PM   #6
Bayleaf48
Hero Of Time
1,316 flights since Jun 2001
Smile Re: To all Admin. about the TOP 25

Should something like this come into use, then it will most definitely have my 100% support behind it!
Bayleaf48 is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Administrative Nexus > Suggestions and problems