Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Terminator (1984, 1991, 2003, 2006) [movie series] > Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)

He said "I'll be back!"... and he meant it! | guide

Old Jan 9, 2002, 08:49 AM   #1
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
Re: Movie Trailers

I was watching the movie trailers on my Judgement Day special edition DVD yesterday. It is kind of interesting to watch. They made a teaser and two trailers. The teaser, released about a year before the film came out, simply established the fact that The Terminator was back. Trialer 1, about four months before the film was released established that there would be two terminators this time. Trailer 2 released a month before release established the fact that Arnold's T-800 would be the good guy this time and that the other terminator was a shape shifter.

I then watched the film (discovered a THIRD version of the film in an easter egg - the Extended Special Edition!!!) and realized that the entire first 25 minutes were a setup for a plot twist-shocker that occured when John Connor is running from the arcade. I get the idea that we were supposed to go "HEY, Not only is Arnie the good guy, but that other guy is a terminator too, and a cool one at that."

Consider these facts:
1. When we first see Robert Patrick's character he is in human form. He doesn't kill the police officer, or at least doesn't appear to. It looks like he knocks him out and steals his clothes and his car.
2. We know Arnold is a terminator and assume, like the first one, he is there to find and kill John Connor. The whole biker bar scene establishes him as one bad dude.
3. We don't see the T-1000's shape shifting ability until after we find out that the T-800 is protecting John.
4. The mall scene is played very much like the T-1000 is trying to find and protect John and the T-800 is there to kill him.
5. The scene where John is caught between the two terminators it is set up to look like the T-800 is aiming his shotgun at Connor and the T-1000 is aiming for the T-800...and then, in a stunning revelation we are to realize that things are not what they appeared to be.
6. The shots that Arnie plugs into the T-100 rip these huge metal holes in him and seem to kill him. Then, in another revealing scene, we see the holes disappear and the T-1000 get up.

All these considered, why did they spoil all of this with the trailers? I saw the trailers and knew, before I saw T2 that Arnold was the good guy, Patrick was the bad guy, and that Patrick's terminator was some advanced shape shifter. It makes no sense to do such a great job of setting up these plot twists only to ruin them with trailers that reveal too much.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2002, 10:53 AM   #2
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000

I never saw the trailers so the illusion was complete.

PS: The moral of this story is : "kids, never wach trailers!"
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2002, 11:37 AM   #3
La_Lune
Starfighter
168 flights since Jan 2002
Cool I Agree...

Never watch the trailers because, in my opinion, it kinda ruins the movie. I like to be surprised when I go to a movie. Usually I only know what the movie's about.... Not anything that's gonna happen in it.
La_Lune is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2002, 05:44 PM   #4
zombie84
Wing Commander
376 flights since Mar 2001

yes, the original publicity was set up so that you wouldnt think Arnold would be a good guy. They always said that there was two terminators and that one was good and the other bad and people would assume that the policeman was good and arnie was bad. The teasers and promo items all set this up but they apparantly abandoned the twist a month or so before the films release. I guess that they thought it would be too difficult to keep under wraps or too difficult to talk about the film without spoiling it. I think they had some security leaks as well. i remember everyone knew who was good and who was bad long before the film opened.
zombie84 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2002, 05:55 PM   #5
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

wow... that sucks. T2 would have been twice as good if the plot twist had remained undisclosed...
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2002, 09:10 PM   #6
linksys
Starfighter
97 flights since Dec 2001

i also have the dvd that high wired has, i also watched the trailers, i think it totally ruined it for the people who actually saw it in the movies, i havent, i was just thinking
linksys is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2002, 06:09 PM   #7
thegreenknight
Sector Marshall
986 flights since Jan 2002

i think they decided to spoil it because they wanted people to know that arnold was the good guy, i'm sure that the producers thought, "if they know that arnold is the good guy, then they might want to see it more"

keep in mind that arnold was supposed to be the good guy in terminator 1 until he discussed it with james cameron.

maybe the producers felt that a greater interest to see the movie would be established if people knew more about the movie.
thegreenknight is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Terminator (1984, 1991, 2003, 2006) [movie series] > Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)