Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > They Live (1988)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

They Live (1988)

Who are they? And what do they want? | guide

Old Mar 3, 2006, 06:22 PM   #1
Wolf
Pilot
4,294,967,289 flights since Feb 2006
Tacky Sci-Fi or yet another 'I hate the media' filum?

I saw They Live a couple of years back when I did Media because my teacher insisted that it was a good film to show the reality of the media. When we saw it we thought it to be a tacky film which was more hilarious than scary, but it does make you think. Once the lenses of the sunglasses take away the first filter of the 'too good to be true' posters, you get the manipulation of 'eat me', 'buy me' and 'drink me'. This film is obviously a eye-opener as to how the media is taking over our lives and how normal-looking people are actually aliens trying to manipulate society. It doesn't have to be Sci-Fi, it's another one of those filums telling us that if we don't open our eyes we will be consumed. Of course society only takes notice of these things when it's too late. The other problem is that the protest film has become a farce so they are just seen as entertainment. It kinda begs the question, should we take this seriously or is it art for art's sake? And in this case, should they have really bothered (like Soul Man) because it was too blunt and wooden?

Last edited by Wolf : Feb 20, 2011 at 07:46 PM.
Wolf is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > They Live (1988)