Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ M -- R ] > Planet of the Apes (1968, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 2001) [movie series and re-adaptation]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Planet of the Apes (1968, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 2001) [movie series and re-adaptation]

Somewhere in the Universe, there must be something better than man! | remake guide

View Poll Results: What Did You Think Of The Remake?
I loved it! 4 12.12%
I liked it but didnt love it. 4 12.12%
Okay. 6 18.18%
Bad. 10 30.30%
Worst POTA ever! 9 27.27%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 13, 2003, 12:51 PM   #16
Wachesaw
Wing Commander
428 flights since Mar 2003
Re: The Remake

Hey! It's a great movie! It contains APES! You can't complain about a movie containing apes! (perhaps except that one with the fourteen year old kid that steals a female gorilla and takes her around the USA and he whines and whines and then hides her in the trunk of their car... right.) The old movies are classic, yes, but the remake is one of the best movies I've seen! All characters are great, except a few humans (for examle another Whiny Kid) I almost start to cry everytime i see the transmission from Oberon

Tim Burton says it the best: "... you know, and, ummm... then again, i mean... talking apes." quote taken from the Audio Comment, Planet of the Apes DVD

Or perhaps the chimps say it the best: "Hoo hoo hee hoo oop chee hooooo..." quote also taken from the Audio Comment, Planet of the Apes DVD
Wachesaw is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2003, 08:37 PM   #17
Master21
Apprentice
1 flights since Jul 2003
Thumbs down How can anyone call the remake good?

Yes that is a yawn... I saw the remake soon after it came out. I had never seen any of the originals but I had a real interest in seeing the new movie since I thought it looked cool. I didn't realize at the time how completely the originals are scrambled in this stupid remake.
I've just seen the first two of the originals, Planet of the Apes & Beneath The Planet of the Apes. I must say they do look dated in parts but they are so good. I have to admit BTPOTA seems to be a completely outrageous movie and quite creepy in my eyes but it along with the first POTA was not a sci-fi movie. It was so much more. Just listen to the dialogue and watch many of the scenes. They are a major source of political issues from the era they were made and that still should be talked about today. The 'new improved' version if i may dare to call it that just mixes bits and pieces of the better movies into a mess that absolutely is a sci-fi movie. The political issues are still there, but only as a background to the story which is nothing like the real POTA.
If they were to remake the remake using modern effects and actually make a series like it should be then I might see it. If not I'm going to stick to the old movies. They may not be the greatest but at least they try to be more than they are. I'd rather see that then a sci-fi movie anytime.

Long live 2001: A Space Odyssey, 2010: The Year We Make Contact, and the Planet of the Apes series for trying to excel. Great yet maybe hokey movies but classics.
Master21 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 01:02 PM   #18
Sith MOB
Recruit Pilot
11 flights since Jun 2005

Just watched it again, I still think it's average at best. I can't explain the ending but the rest of the movie was okay. I still perfer the original but the new one is watchable, atleast for me.

I heard that, back in 1999-2000, James Cameron was working on a script for his version of Planet of the Apes but I guess Burton did if faster.
Sith MOB is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 01:47 AM   #19
phantomstranger
Recruit Pilot
7 flights since Jun 2005

Very,very dissappointing. Tim Burtons worst film to date. It just can't hold up to the original classic
phantomstranger is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 03:41 PM   #20
inca
Starfighter
57 flights since Jun 2006
comparison

What is cool is in the original one the viewer -as Heston- is deceived to the last minute thinking he (and us) were on a planet near Orion constellation and the fact is it was a trip on time but on the same planet. The composition elevates the level of suspense as we see Heston on his knees as seen from above perspective through something not quite identified at first glance and twisted metal. Then we see the crown of the Statue of Liberty but not the statue immediately. We think "that looks like Statue of Liberty" but we are not quite sure. It was fine the desert location at the beginning of the movie that seemed quite odd and because of the lightning and thunders but no rain and that strange luminosity and yet no moon we were forced to believe that was no earth. Then we understand the prohibition of the forbidden zone was because the ancient ape Bible scrolls were saying the truth...it was a paradise once centuries before the human holocaust. So, the stupidity of men and simian intelligence was explained by mutation. The irony Heston left the earth thinking there should be something better than mankind and faces INVOLUTION where everything is upside down and the religious apes and museums with stuffed men and zoos and cages was awsome.
Now, we know mutations are almost 99% freak monstruosities and not something really adding to the evolution as Darwin thought. Hence Burton was adapting the things with better understanding giving the explanation this was caused by genetic engineering performed on chimps. As a matter of fact whoever knows something about primates knows the smart chimps have to be set away from the experiences after their adolescence because they become too violent.
Since the final scene of the Statue of Liberty is too known, Burton had to use something original that surprises the audience. Couldn't use the same thing and he did quite well because we were surprised. Why so? Because the ship of the astronaut goes back to past as we read the clocks and yet he goes to the future! So, or was it a defect on the device or ALTERNATIVE earth or distorsion of space-time vortex. Burton in fact was putting together elements of the previous sequels. He respected the film and for good reason hired Heston to be general's chimp dad. The apes here were not so advanced and had no rifles so they kept the human gun as archeological evidence of the past technology.
inca is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 10:03 PM   #21
scifi_lover
Trust No One
1,049 flights since Jan 2004

I hated the remake. I enjoyed the original, but saw the remake before I saw the original. When I was asked to watch the original, I was extremely adament, but liked it a lot more.
scifi_lover is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ M -- R ] > Planet of the Apes (1968, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 2001) [movie series and re-adaptation]