Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies > Projected - Red Dwarf: The Movie

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Old Jan 14, 2009, 11:42 AM   #1
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
Finally Some Red Dwarf News

This news is about six months old (guess I missed it) but I assume this means the movie which never happened is officially dead forever.

Quote:
New Red Dwarf Specials Confirmed

Announced by Dave, detailed here.
19 September, 2008
New specials? Proper information? After all the rumours? Oh smeg yes.
reddwarf.co.uk has the facts. As announced by Robert Llewellyn for Grant Naylor Productions this week at the UKTV seasonal press launch, the project is a short series of brand new specials to celebrate the 21st birthday of Red Dwarf.

Doug Naylor will be masterminding the four half-hour instalments, and the regular cast will all be reprising their iconic roles. They are being made by GNP for UKTV's free-to-air channel, Dave - our new best friends!
Red Dwarf repeats on Dave - including an anniversary weekend run - have picked up remarkable numbers since the channel was reborn on Freeview, and it's becoming clear to all concerned that the show is picking a new, third generation audience. With the usual involvement from Red Dwarf partners BBC Worldwide, you can also expect international broadcasts to follow (and, we'd imagine, a top-quality DVD release in the fullness of time).
It's very new news to me - I really only fully heard the details yesterday, Robert told comedian/host Michael McIntyre. We're doing four new shows with the original cast. Two of them are going to be, like, proper episodes of Red Dwarf. One of them is so exciting I've been asked not to say anything about that because other people will steal the idea - and it is a great idea, quite challenging for us as performers. And the other one is a kind of behind-the-scenes-y... the truth. There's been so many rumours and gossip about Red Dwarf, about whether there's going to be a movie and whether we all get on, all those things... The downside for me, which is just dawning on me now, is I've got to do the 'rubber' thing again, which I haven't done for ten years.
For the record, and direct from the makers, the details of the four shows right now - while wholly subject to change - are:
Show One - The Making Of The Specials A highly entertaining look at what goes on behind the scenes on a Red Dwarf production. Show Two - Red Dwarf Special: Part One The cast get back into character, and costume, a decade on... Show Three - Red Dwarf Special: Part Two The adventure continues... Show Four - A Clip Show With a Serious Difference The cast do it their way. Red Dwarf as you have never, ever seen it before! The shows will broadcast sometime in 2009 and, if successful, could pave the way for further Red Dwarf TV projects. Thanks to movie and broadcaster wrangles, Grant Naylor haven't been in a position to produce new Red Dwarf since Series VIII went out to audiences of over eight million in 1999. This exciting development suggests a new and shiny future for everyone's favourite sci-fi comedy.
To be kept in the loop as we cover the new production, register your email address with reddwarf.co.uk in the box at the bottom of the page.
The Boys from the Dwarf are back!
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 01:23 AM   #2
Camfan
Wing Commander
364 flights since Mar 2002
Re: Finally Some Red Dwarf News

I'm glad it's officially dead, not because I dislike the show, but I always thought they should've left it at the end of series 6. It was all canned laughter and bad jokes after that.
Camfan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 07:32 AM   #3
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
Re: Finally Some Red Dwarf News

Well, it appears we've come to the end at last - the movie that was then never was, was and never was again, drug addictions, outrageous salary requests, and of course, tons of rumors that were nothing but - the great and anticipated Red Dwarf The Movie finally emerges as Red Dwarf The Two Part Easter Weekend Television Special. At least it's something.

Quote:
The BBC reported that the cult sci-fi comedy Red Dwarf will return to TV, 21 years after its initial launch, and will appear on the digital channel Dave in the United Kingdom for a two-part Easter-weekend special.
In the special, the cast finally return to Earth. Written and directed by Red Dwarf co-creator Doug Naylor, the new show reunites the original cast, including Coronation Street's Craig Charles.

It's unclear when or where the special would air in North America.

The hit show ran for eight series on BBC Two between 1988 and 1999. Set 3 million years in the future, the show followed the exploits of Dave Lister, slovenly crew member of the mining ship Red Dwarf—and the last man in the universe.

He was joined in his weekly attempts to make it back to Earth by a cast of oddballs including human hologram Arnold Rimmer, mechanoid servant Kryten and Cat—a preening half-man, half-animal who evolved from the ship's cat.
The new two-part series Red Dwarf: Back to Earth will be followed by a "no holds barred" episode without sets or special effects. The weekend will climax with Red Dwarf: The Making of Back to Earth, a behind-the-scenes special from the new episodes.

For some reason this reminds me of the Gilligan's Island reunion show that came out when I was a wee lad in the early 80's (possibly late 70's). A long anticipated return and possible finale to a once beloved television series.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies > Projected - Red Dwarf: The Movie