Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Upcoming Movies

Scoops, news, gossip and rumors abound...

Old Jan 26, 2010, 01:21 AM   #1
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002
The Book of Eli

mmmm.....i love it when a fine looking man gets scruffy. looks pretty awesome for us post-apocalyptic genre lovers out here. and Denzel, too? my my. he proved himself a great anti-hero in Man on Fire, so my bet is this is gonna be a great film....for me, at least. nice to see J. Beals getting back on the big screen as well. all around INTERESTING looking!

and since no one posted it, here is the official site. pretty intriguing...

http://thebookofeli.warnerbros.com/

y'know, I have to add that I'm really glad to see that Denzel can finally go off the grid and do some of the risque things he's probably always wanted to do. age does bring about some benefits, i suppose.
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 05:47 AM   #2
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001
Re: The Book of Eli

I absolutely love post-apocalyptic movies, but everything I've read about "Book of Eli" so far points in one direction: "The Road" for dummies.

As for Denzel, he's done risqué before, and it always does pay off. You already pointed out "Man on Fire", but who could also forget his awesome role in "Training Day"?
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 07:54 PM   #3
Sharky
Cluster Admiral
1,670 flights since Nov 2001

Seen it. Production Design is fantastic (I really wish Terminator Salvation's post-apocalyptic world looked like this), but the plot is shoddy, religious nonsense with a twist that you can spot a mile off and I'm not quite sure actually makes sense.

And then Dumbledore appears at the end. Seriously.
Sharky is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:16 PM   #4
Camfan
Wing Commander
364 flights since Mar 2002

Surely all post apocalyptic films should just be called 'apocalyptic'? Considering that apocalypse means ultimate doom, the end of everything, including life, therefore they can't be post, cos there'd be no-one around.
Camfan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:39 AM   #5
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

The term comes from the fact that it takes place after, not during the event which ultimately destroys human civilization. No matter how horrid the world becomes in the aftermath, it's simply the fallout of that one event.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:33 AM   #6
mack
misanthrope

i thought it was pretty self explanatory....
Old Feb 3, 2010, 04:16 PM   #7
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

(I actually agree with Camfan)

Have to see the Road, but I think (given that stupid stupid article spoiled the ending for me) might be a tad depressing for a cinema jaunt.

So I found out more about Book of Eli and figured it might be a modern day faith led hybrid of Mad Max & Zatoichi, plus Densel does add weight. But Sharky panned it, Sharky....I think I might have to await dvd.

(Someone else go quick and tell us if he's a loon or not)
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:40 PM   #8
mack
misanthrope

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/apocalypse

Quote:
Etymology: Middle English, revelation, Revelation, from Anglo-French apocalipse, from Late Latin apocalypsis, from Greek apokalypsis, from apokalyptein to uncover, from apo- + kalyptein to cover — more at hell
Date: 13th century

1 a : one of the Jewish and Christian writings of 200 b.c. to a.d. 150 marked by pseudonymity, symbolic imagery, and the expectation of an imminent cosmic cataclysm in which God destroys the ruling powers of evil and raises the righteous to life in a messianic kingdom b capitalized : revelation 3
2 a : something viewed as a prophetic revelation b : armageddon
3 : a great disaster <an environmental apocalypse>

understanding is so subjective.

On subject though, planned on seeing The Road, but to me it doesnt look the same, as it seemed like more of a slow post-apocalyptic flick (a la Carrier) and Father/son movie, as opposed to hard-hitting action like BOE seems to be. Both are def worth a look though, but neither worth going to theatre!

Last edited by mack : Feb 4, 2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 05:52 PM   #9
mack
misanthrope

this is one FUNNY article chronicling the similarities (or differences?) b/t The Road and BOE.

http://www.moviesmackdown.com/2010/01/eli-road.html

interestingly enough, the writer actually addresses the difference between the movies as being which movie believes God is a alive or dead. The Road, he says, argues God is dead, while BOE argues God is alive.

cannon fodder, I think, for the whole apocalypse argument e.g. there can be no "end" if god is dead. a reason why, I think anyway, im so attracted to post-apocalytpic movies. regardless of how they sell it, they ALL deal in some way with the idea that because such and such happened, god does not exist.

on the whole, though - I'm not really looking for apocalypse movies that are boringly slow. this is why I hated Carrier - great point, dull movie. and finally, while some people get "turned on" by all things occult (clearly, a lot of Sciflickers are in that "the occult gets me hot" number), films with heavy normal religious content intrigue me. BOE is prolly actually blasphemous to what I truly believe, but that's the fun of it. with so many religions in the world, its interesting to see what other people think.

Last edited by mack : Feb 4, 2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 01:33 PM   #10
Sharky
Cluster Admiral

I was just insulted at religion suckering me into a film with the promise of post-apocalyptic action! The BBFC should have a warning for this kind of thing:

Contains religious pandering
Old Feb 10, 2010, 01:48 AM   #11
mack
misanthrope

i guess i can relate. that's how i felt about Carrier - i truly wanted my money back. here's hoping The Road isnt the same letdown, though with those names, i'd imagine not.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 01:15 PM   #12
Sharky
Cluster Admiral

Still haven't seen The Road. Might wait till DVD as I really want to read the book first.

B.O.E is better than Carriers, but a lot of it is down to Washington as an actor.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Upcoming Movies