Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

All sci-fi movies which have too many fantasy elements/unexplained phenomenae to classify properly as science fiction.

Old Aug 10, 2006, 04:17 PM   #1
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
Unbreakable

One of the best comic book movies ever made and one of M. Night Shyamalan's best movies.

Shyamalan said he imagined this film begin the first part of a trilogy. Part one is the the hero is revealed (sometimes to his or herself) and answers the call the fight evil. The second chapter deals with the hero fighting evil. The final chapter would focus on the showdown with the ultimate villian (Mr. Glass).

No word on the second chapter but after this film got panned by critics who apparently were expecting The Sixth Sense Part II he shied away from making any more installments.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 04:31 PM   #2
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001
Re: Unbreakable

Well, it's not based on a comic book, but it is one of the best superhero movies ever made. I love Unbreakable; it's by far Shyamalan's best film, in my opinion. It has his most unpredictable twist, the most powerful soundtrack and is the most visually awesome. It's seriously underrated.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 04:39 PM   #3
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

Okay, best movie about comic books then.

How can Samuel L. Jackson be so friggin good in Unbreakable and stink so bad in the Star Wars films?
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 04:58 PM   #4
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

Because in Star Wars, he was directed by Lucas.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 03:45 AM   #5
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002

It's just a pity that M.Night seems to be on a downward spiral now, one might think he's been taking lessons in directing and story writing from uwe boll and lucas.
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 07:03 AM   #6
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

I hate this film, I hate this film, I hate this film, I hate this film, I hate this film.

There, all better now, move along move along.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 04:57 PM   #7
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

Funny, my sister watched it today, and she hates it too.

I don't see what's so bad about it. It's nice. It's interesting. it's attention-holding (mostly). It's got a great turn from Samuel L Jackson on one of the rare occasions where he's not playing Samuel L Jackson. It's no masterpiece, and it's not as consistently fun as most films, sure, but it's not hateworthy.

That's it - I'm rewatching it!
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 06:32 AM   #8
Seraph

I think it's well, we're girls and that's a lil boys dream - which is exactly how it plays, from the mind of a 4yr old, which is why it irritated me. I don't know any females that love it (may not necessarily hate it but they didn't love it), but males a plenty. Hate to play to stereotypes and course I'd have loved to be Wonder Woman as a kid but you know wouldn't make a film with pretentious aspirations about it as an adult. It gave me exactly the same "Oh for fk's sake" feelings that Donnie Darko did.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 05:48 PM   #9
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

Seraph has no soul. Nexus doesn't either. Not liking Donnie Darko.... mutter mutter...

Anybody else seen Lady in the Water yet?

Edited for confusing phrasemakedoing.

Last edited by jill_valentine : Aug 15, 2006 at 07:46 PM.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 07:01 PM   #10
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

I'm confused - Seraph has no soul because she doesn't like it, and I have no soul because I do...?
Old Aug 15, 2006, 07:41 PM   #11
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

You like Donnie Darko? I was under the impression you didn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus
much like Donnie Darko....(how I hate that "cult" film)
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 07:55 PM   #12
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

Ah, sorry, I misread - I was talking about the brilliant Unbreakable.

I actually don't hate Donnie Darko THAT much, it's a more hyperbolic hate that grew because I was getting sick of the fanboys that came out of nowhere. For a whole year, I read every single article and review of Donnie Darko I could find, it was my most anticipated movie ever...I saw it, found it "meh" and moved on. I forgot about it for a while, when all of a sudden a bunch of Emos and Pseudo Goffs started singing the dreadful "Mad World" (the worst thing about that film was the soudntrack) at the top of their loathsome lungs and claimed that Donnie Darko is the Greatest Motion Picture in the History of Universe Eva!!11!11!

Unbreakable is cool though. I liked Unbreakable. A lot. Very awesome.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 04:57 AM   #13
Seraph

Ah see I hated it the first time I watched it (still don't like it), but I do appreciate the surburban satire, beyond that...excrutiating self indulgent wankery, like watching an extended episode of that series that did what Boy Meets World did before it did it, which was in fact far more bearable. It does however get bonus points for the evilest bunny in the world - untill it takes it's head off.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 05:44 AM   #14
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph
Ah see I hated it the first time I watched it (still don't like it), but I do appreciate the surburban satire

I found that to be the most irritating thing about it - they were clearly trying to do a Blue Velvet there.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy