Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Off-World Discussion Forum

Forum for science fiction related material not listed in Movies Galleria or Upcoming Movies ONLY. If you want to chit-chat, please visit the Pilot's Mess.

Old Aug 30, 2008, 02:19 PM   #1
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001
Wall-E

Is there a thread for this yet? There must be, but I'm too damned lazy to check.
Who else saw this one? Am I alone in thinking that this is the best piece of feature-length computer animation ever produced? Perhaps the best thing PERIOD ever released by a major American animation studio. It seems like they had kept the studio executives tied up in a dank cellar while they were making the brilliant, beautiful and sublime first half, and that when they chewed through their bonds and made their way into the studio to supervise the production of the second half they were too weakened by their months-long ordeal to derail the movie completely.

For years I had thought that the technology had not yet caught up to the artists' conceptions in this new medium. Now I see that the technology has far outpaced most of them. Pixar has finally shown us that great art can now be made in this medium. What was done here has it's analogs in early film-making in the moment when the early directors realized that the camera could be MOVED and that a film can be more then a recoded stage play.

Last edited by SF_not_Sci-Fi : Aug 30, 2008 at 03:55 PM.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 02:57 PM   #2
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001
Re: Wall-E

Hmmm. It was all right. Different from what I was expecting though. It might improve with repeated viewings.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 06:17 PM   #3
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

It does.

I saw it today for the second time, and it only gets better. I'm still placing "Lilo & Stitch" as the pinnacle of animation entertainment, but "Wall-E" is a really close second.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 01:38 PM   #4
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000

WAlle was really nice. Not that good as the hype but good nevertheless.

Btw it is silly how they tried to give robots genders. And since Walle acts like a 10 year old school girl you can even say that this movie is pro-lesbian .

I can't belive I just said that
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 04:16 PM   #5
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan
Not that good as the hype
Bah! You only say that because you've been spoiled by a steady diet of superior Soviet animation
Old Sep 27, 2008, 02:04 AM   #6
floyd
Libertarian
1,141 flights since Feb 2002

I really liked Wall-E. I thought it's messages about consumerism were interesting, but I'm a Wal-Mart believer. I also really dig science, and what happens to Earth in the movie couldn't possibly happen even if we caused nuclear winter. So I loved the circumstances as a fictional--not cautionary--background for a really touching cartoon about a robot that I had a lot in common with.
floyd is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 04:27 AM   #7
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

What about sound in space and a plant magically surviving unscathed in the cold cold vacuum?
Old Sep 27, 2008, 04:38 AM   #8
floyd
Libertarian

Makes sense to me.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 04:39 AM   #9
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

Sure it does, you're a 'Libertarian.'
Old Sep 27, 2008, 04:42 AM   #10
floyd
Libertarian

Well, you're a Satyr.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 04:15 PM   #11
ThinWLady
Mrs. Tony Harrison
1,295 flights since Feb 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan
WAlle was really nice. Not that good as the hype but good nevertheless.

Btw it is silly how they tried to give robots genders. And since Walle acts like a 10 year old school girl you can even say that this movie is pro-lesbian .

I can't belive I just said that
Whaaaaaat?

WALL-E - oh, I totally loved it. Just when I thought it would be nothing else but a bunch of stupid jokes and badly done animation (like 'Space Chimps'), it was all the opposite. Yes, the message about consuming or the story of the human characters were a bit... too American... but otherwise - it's a great movie!
ThinWLady is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2009, 02:22 PM   #12
launchcruiser
Pilot
24 flights since Apr 2004

wwaallie rocks
launchcruiser is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2009, 02:54 PM   #13
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

I've come to admit, the first 35 minutes of so of Wall*E is brilliant cinema and I honestly believe that in 100 years future animators will be holding those sequences up as some of the greatest animated storytelling ever conceived. It's really a beautiful sequence, devoid almost entirely of dialogue, yet so rich with emotion of almost every kind. Anti-consumerist messages aside (I can forgive Pixar, after all, they've given us one of the greatest pieces of conservative cinema ever with The Incredibles) I love it and can watch it over and over.

The second half of the film would have probably been great in the context of any other movie, including any other Pixar movie, but what a letdown when compared to the first half.

Saw Monsters Versus Aliens last weekend and though I found it enjoyable, funny (with some huge laugh out loud moments - Stephen Cobert's president doing Axle F...Lord that was funny) - I realized how infinitely far apart the Pixar moves are from anything else out there in animation. In a day when cinema has devolved into a wasteland of remakes, reboots, ripoffs, and any other degrading R word you can think of, Pixar is truly carrying the artistic banner for the rest of Hollywood...truly.

BTW - Up looks absolutely amazing. The 3D trailer on the big screen was nearly worth the price of admission.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:25 AM   #14
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighWiredSith
they've given us one of the greatest pieces of conservative cinema ever with The Incredibles) I love it and can watch it over and over.
I wouldn't call The Incredibles "conservative." More fascist really. There is a difference, you know. Good movie though.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum