Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Off-World Discussion Forum

Forum for science fiction related material not listed in Movies Galleria or Upcoming Movies ONLY. If you want to chit-chat, please visit the Pilot's Mess.

View Poll Results: Vote Your Choice For Winner of This Category
The Day the Earth Stood Still 1 25.00%
Eagle Eye 0 0%
Iron Man 2 50.00%
The Incredible Hulk 0 0%
Jumper 0 0%
Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 5, 2009, 08:04 AM   #1
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002
2009 Saturn Award Nominees: Best Science Fiction Film

well people, its that time of year again, where the geeks and freaks in Hollywood and across the old US of A polish off their wire rims and vote for the Best in .....well, everything Science Fiction. Kind of like a nerdy Oscars, if you will. What's your vote? seen em? What do you think of said films? Vote and discuss!

mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001
Re: 2009 Saturn Award Nominees: Best Science Fiction Film

Iron Man, I guess, but none of them are great.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Wachesaw
Wing Commander
428 flights since Mar 2003

I haven't seen either of said films. Are any of them science fiction at all? TDTES Still, maybe. Once I went to mass in a catholic church in Bangkok and the preacher talked about TDDEarthSS, and something about hope, so I guess it's good somewhere.

If I could anti-vote instead of voting, I'd anti-vote for the Hulk. Why did they make that? It almost makes me cry to think about it. The old Hulk movie is possibly the best superhero movie since... Spiderman. Or maybe spiderman came first. Who cares. It was good, anyway. And they shouldn't force poor old Eddie Norton to do movies like that. It's atrocious.
Wachesaw is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 03:44 AM   #4
mack
misanthrope

Hm.. Id classify them all as solidly SCIFI, save maybe Indy 4. With EE, you got the omnimind computer that's running the world. With Iron Man, you have the comic aspect plus the idea that he's built a futuristic war machine suit ..... with science....fiction, because how he powered the suit is still fictional, so far as I know. With Hulk, you have another comic, plus the fact that the Govt science experiments created a mutated human - science enough for me. With Jumper - its obvious - even the novel (which is far better than the movie) is in the Science Fiction section of the library and bookstore - it's Heroe's-esque, with people with "abilities."

Indy isnt SCIFI.

Havent seen TDTESS yet so I've yet to vote.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 08:36 AM   #5
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Who are the schmucks in charge of the apparently piss-poor nominating process for this award?
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2009, 02:32 PM   #6
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Iron Man really shouldn't win, but lack of competition...
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2009, 07:49 PM   #7
mack
misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_not_Sci-Fi
Who are the schmucks in charge of the apparently piss-poor nominating process for this award?

ok. humor us. What film do you think should win this category?

(this reminds me that I need to add an "other" category next time I do a poll )
Old Apr 14, 2009, 01:14 PM   #8
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 07:17 AM   #9
mack
misanthrope

you just think he's cute.

on another note: TDTESS - It was utter, utter TRASH!!! Just as predicted. Keanu Reeves, of Wayne's World fame, strikes again with his boring monotone. Oh Jennifer Connolley - how we wanted you to shine through the soot and grime of this plot and poor dialogue/script! How you didnt! How far that means youve fallen!

On a brighter note, it was very reminiscent of the older time "scary movies," and as I watched this one with my mom (who also agreed it was utter tripe), we spent many a moment literally rolling on the floor laughing at the sheer comedy of the old school terror plot line .... (yknow the one. pod people-esque. complete with the deadpan.) This was only because both she and I had just spent hours the previous week attempting to explain to someone else how the older "scary movies" were all the same thematically and pure cheese.

Then we watched TDTESS, and we like "LOOK! SEE! PERFECT EXAMPLE!!!" (I may have even smacked my forehead and said "d'uh!")

On a final note: totally TOTALLY hated the whole tree-hugging, preachy environmentalist "science is our religion" message they tried to cram down our throats. What are we? 12?

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum