Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ M -- R ] > Predator (1987, 1990) [movie series]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Predator (1987, 1990) [movie series]

It came for the thrill of the hunt. It picked the wrong man to hunt. | I guideII guide

Old Jul 14, 2004, 03:52 PM   #1
JimiPred
Recruit Pilot
8 flights since Jul 2004
First Empression's?

What were your first empressions after seeing both films?

I saw Predator at an early age and I loved it. I thought the opening scenes really pulled me in to the film. I thought the music really set the tone for the movie.

I really liked Predator 2 when I saw it first and thought it was as good as the original.

Just my thougths.

JimiPred
JimiPred is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:02 AM   #2
ineedabox
Sector Marshall
972 flights since Apr 2004
Re: First Empression's?

The first one was better. Spell Impression right.
The second one stuck me as a feeble attempt to live up to the first one and still try to pull you into a world of luck and cheesyness.
ineedabox is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 06:26 PM   #3
Slash
Starfighter
137 flights since Aug 2003

^LOL The man can spell impression any which way he chooses

I don't know, obviously upon first viewing, Predator was an instant classic. Explosions, big guns, skinned bodies, Apollo Creed, I mean Action Jackson I mean Carl Weathers, the Predator itself, of course the main reason for the love of this film was Arnold Schwarzenegger. It just had the classic action formula before the mythos of the Predator had ever been created.

I guess I had the good luck of viewing Predator 2 rather young. I felt Danny Glover was an excellent choice as well as Gary Busey and Bill Paxton as characters...The formula may have been the same but certain elements were obviously changed which I enjoyed. The city setting, the fact the mythos is somewhat continued etc.

I enjoyed the film rather highly and sometimes find it easier to comeback and watch moreso than Predator. I suppose the "fans" felt this was a poor rehash and such but other than Arnold and McTiernan who has a knack for directing action films, the concept of the original could have easily soured as well.
Slash is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 10:13 PM   #4
ineedabox
Sector Marshall

I see your point. Both movies have certain elements of 'cheesyness' to them. Like Arnolds little boy scout trap in the first one, and a number of things (dont get me started) in the second one.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 10:23 PM   #5
Maddy
Pilot
49 flights since Jul 2004

I loved the first one, infact I watched it last night.
Arnold, Ventura, and Weathers as commandos, what a Great cast.

I haven't seen the second in along time but I think it is great too. It didn't have as good a cast as the first but it did open the doors to AvP which was great for comics, video games and now a movie. I give it adulation.
Maddy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 10:50 PM   #6
Slash
Starfighter
137 flights since Aug 2003

Yea Maddy, suprisingly the cast of the original Predator was quite impressive

LOL ineedabox, I'd be interested to hear some of that cheasiness in part 2...No I'm just jokin'. I totally understand where you are comin' from.

I believe because we had nothing to base the original off of, it was looked on differently than number 2, which makes sense because predecessors are always better than sequels. But alas, this time there was something in the bathroom...
Slash is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 11:03 PM   #7
ineedabox
Sector Marshall

Of course. Predator 2 was ok, but it got criticized more because it had something to live up to, and be adjacent to. But still, the first was better. Hmm...I've got a question to ask, but I think I'll just start a new thread.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ M -- R ] > Predator (1987, 1990) [movie series]