Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ M -- R ] > Predator (1987, 1990) [movie series]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Predator (1987, 1990) [movie series]

It came for the thrill of the hunt. It picked the wrong man to hunt. | I guideII guide

Old Dec 22, 2002, 01:59 PM   #1
thegreenknight
Sector Marshall
986 flights since Jan 2002
Unhappy What has happened to the good ol' fashion predator talk???

it seems like there have been less and less threads dealing with the actual movies, and more and more threads dealing with the mythology of the predator as a species...i.e. 'do yautjas like to sing?, do yautjas play sports?' etc.

don't worry i'll delete this after a week; i just hope people here will see this and remember the days (if you were here then) when almost every thread was about something interesting and thought provoking ABOUT the movies, and not what has been created by the comic books...
thegreenknight is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2002, 05:45 PM   #2
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001
Re: What has happened to the good ol' fashion predator talk???

Yes please we as the Predator Moderating Team, wish that there be more Predator film disscussion, because this is after all "SciFlicks" not "SciBooks" or "SciComics"!
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 07:12 AM   #3
gumps
Apprentice
2 flights since Jun 2002

Well said!!!!!!!

My views on the whole Predator/Yautja are well known.

I think the word Yautja should be banned on this forum.

Sorry to all those whose username contains Yautja this and Yautja that, but its been creeping in like a cancer more and more over the last few months.
gumps is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 03:02 PM   #4
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

look, have you seen tgk's latest 'movie' thread?

http://forums.sciflicks.com/showthre...8001#post78001

The mods on the other forums don't seem to mind tie-in discussions so much. And why not add action figures to that 'no' list? Maybe this all comes from the emnity between the comic/novel fans and the 'cannon' fundementalists in the Alein/Pred fan culture. And the mods seem to be squarely on one side. In a movie as superficial as this, there is only so much that you can say. But of course fans wanted to say more... so they created the whole Yajuta thing. It is an extention of the film, and unless you want to disect the script letter by letter in search of a deeper mystical significance, I don't see how this transition could be avoided. I am just surprised that it has taken this long.

There are two choices before you really. Either ailianate the fans and let the forum die, or try the best you can to talk about the movie a bit as well as the rest of it. A discussion on wether the Yujinuni have a military and what its likely structure is is a notch above certain 'cheesy' threads that I will be so kind as not to mention.

Last edited by SF_not_Sci-Fi : Dec 23, 2002 at 03:09 PM.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 06:01 PM   #5
thegreenknight
Sector Marshall
986 flights since Jan 2002

no pun intended right?

anyways i never said that this forum HAD to be a certain way. i came here for the first time in a while to find that almost all threads were dominated by things that were created after the movie, and things that are totally irrelevant to the film, which is not what this place is about. things like 'predator holidays' and stuff like that lead me to this. it would be like 'do terminators take dance lessons in the future?' etc. the cheese thread was an attempt to ressurect some more discussion that was directly related to the film and not to something created after it. the cheese was just an example, i can see it was also an easy thing to exploit for those of you who are gona go that route
thegreenknight is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 06:03 PM   #6
Phlub
The Head Hunter

Well I hope that we could discuss the movie a bit more. But really if you look back on my career, talking about this great film has really been my calling card. And I feel that more discussion about the films themselves would be nice. But as far as I can see there isnt one aspect of Predator or Predator 2 I haven't discussed with past and present members. But I do take back my comics of bashing Books, Comics and such.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 09:31 PM   #7
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally posted by Predalien

Your career eh? Tell me, do you get paid for this?
No, its a labour of love, as the British spell it.
Old Dec 24, 2002, 12:45 PM   #8
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

Its 'labor' stateside.
Old Dec 24, 2002, 02:48 PM   #9
Unregistered
n/a flights since

Hasn't everything already been discussed?
Old Dec 25, 2002, 12:30 PM   #10
YautjaKShai
Starfighter
98 flights since Oct 2001
Lightbulb Re: What has happened to the good ol' fashion predator talk???

I personally don't see what the problem is with discussing things like Yautja culture. We're all here for one reason ~ we love Predator. Some of us like Predator a little more than others, and some of us are interested in voicing our thoughts, ideas, and opinions about what the Yautja are like as a people. There's no problem with that, and it's very fun to discuss these thoughts. I like voicing my thoughts about the Yautja, and I love to hypothesize about what they do within their society and how their culture dictates their social structure, etc. I also love to delve deeper into the more emotional side of the Yautja people.

There's nothing wrong with any of this, and I thought that that is what this forum is for ~ not only to discuss the films in general, but everything related to Predator.

The problem is all the arguing and childish behaviours and spam that ends up taking place in every single forum anytime anyone decides to start a thread that even remotely agrees with the comics or books.

Maybe, if you don't have anyting positive to add to a discussion, then DON'T add anything.

There are way to many people here who ridicule others for agreeing with something in a comic or book that you don't agree with. There is no "Yautja God" here that decides what is right and what is to believe and to be disregarded.

Start keeping an open mind, and STOP spamming and throwing insults around every single time someone starts talking about Yautja culture. Maybe we'd all get a long a little more then.

It's OK to not agree with something, but let's try to be more polite and less idiotic about our responses. Then maybe the forum would stay alive a bit better.

With AvP in the works, you can expect a lot more newbies here with questions, ideas, and opinions of their own. Start learning how to reply to posts and answer questions with throwing out insults.

~K'Shai
YautjaKShai is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2002, 02:54 PM   #11
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
Unhappy The road to predation

Well Phlub &co do have a point. Ramses did decree that this was to be exclusively a MOVIE forum. Makes sense too. I mean, it is sorta weird to link from his "Pradetor" page on Sciflicks Proper (as opposed to the SQUAD) and to come upon discussion kinda well... completely unrelated to the movies. The whole original idea behind the board becomes lost. Phlub would rather you all take these tie-in discussions to Off-World, but then I am afraid that forum would be flooded with damn Predator talk... this would annoy me and most others, who quite frankly dont care...

Oy... PLEASE! DON'T SET THIS PLAGUE LOOSE ON OFFWORLD! CONTAIN IT HERE! THE SQUAD IS DEPENDING ON YOU!

Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

Oh, and one more thing: TGK is gone and won't be moving this discussion to the Mess anytime soon, so why don't you do it now, phlub? Leave a redirect in he Pred forum if you please.

Last edited by SF_not_Sci-Fi : Dec 25, 2002 at 03:16 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2002, 09:46 PM   #12
Phlub
The Head Hunter

Well I am sorry if you misunderstood me SF.

But what I meant was that this is meant for movies. But I do love to talk about everything Predator. So please Predator forum participants please talk about Predator film, literature, comics, action figures, music and what not else.

But please do not get out of hand and telling people not to say Yautja. People can say whatever they damn well please, as long as it is kind and unhurtful towards other SQUAD! members.

And I will move this with a redirect to the mess as SF has requested.

And yes Green Knight dug himself a hole the rest of the moderators and I will not let him get out of.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 04:03 PM   #13
JACKER
The Paradisal Man
1,359 flights since Dec 2001

And this is NOTEWORTHY because...?
JACKER is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 07:45 AM   #14
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer

so it doesn't sink to the bottom of course!
Old Feb 12, 2003, 08:18 AM   #15
JACKER
The Paradisal Man
1,359 flights since Dec 2001

Oh, OK.
JACKER is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ M -- R ] > Predator (1987, 1990) [movie series]