Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy

All sci-fi movies which have too many fantasy elements/unexplained phenomenae to classify properly as science fiction.

Old Jul 30, 2008, 02:46 AM   #1
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002
Harry Potter & The Half-Blood Prince

trailer (in quicktime format): http://www.moviefone.com/movie/harry...ce-2181231.qtl

mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:22 AM   #2
DarthJohn
Wing Commander
274 flights since Dec 2005
Re: Harry Potter & The Half-Blood Prince

Can't wait until July, this will be a winner. every installment keeps getting better.
DarthJohn is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:02 PM   #3
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,027 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

Eh, the books yes have been better, the movies have not gotten better in the same way. Especially the fact that they leave more and more out of the films.
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 07:14 PM   #4
DarthJohn
Wing Commander
274 flights since Dec 2005

Well that's why they have deleted scenes on the DVDs and Blu-Rays of each movie.
DarthJohn is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 05:47 PM   #5
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

I. Hate. Harry. Potter.

Ok feel better now. (Not my fault, it came up on the new threads page).

And HOW dodgy is that tagline?
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 06:43 PM   #6
mack
misanthrope

its sad that I havent even read the last book, thats how "meh" HP has become to me. I doubt I'll even watch this film, because I always liked the books better than the movies, and the books are now "meh" to me.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 05:43 AM   #7
Camfan
Wing Commander
364 flights since Mar 2002

Well, the movies are ok, I think they generally capture the spirit of the books. Of course the books are better, books always are.

My main issue has and always will be Daniel Radcliffe, the boy can't act. He makes me cringe every time I see him on screen. And that whiney f.ucking voice! Argh! He deserves to die in a car fire.
Camfan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2009, 08:44 AM   #8
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

Is it just me or do the plots seem to be getting more and more contrived as the story moves along. I have not read the books, will not read the books (at least I don't intend to), and only see the films upon their DVD release. I find myself needing to go back and watch the previous movie or movies just to keep up and figure out what's going on. Maybe I'll wait till all the movies are done and on DVD and then watch them all at once over a week or so.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 08:26 AM   #9
mack
misanthrope

the movie dont really do the books justice Sith - they cut approx 3/4th of the book story and basically amp up the dramatic interactions to drag the story out. This is why I stopped watching the movies, because I think they suck compared to the books, and frankly.....lets be honest here: the books are written on a child's level.

we cant get beyond that. there it is, out in the open. Harry Potter is, at base, juvenile fiction. Entertaining, mostly - but still youngish. And once it devolved into your basic juvenile archetypal storyline, I stopped reading the books, because anyone who's ever read any juvenile scifi or horror knows exactly where we are headed; where EVERY juvenile hero story is headed.

you got the family angst / ostracization / hero-leader loneliness? check!
you got the burden of being the leader / responsibility? check!
you got the having a target painted on your back? check!
you got the EVIL-(STRONGER?)-ADULT-BAD-PERSON-THATS-AFTER the young hero? check!
you got the nobody believes you because youre a kid? check!
you got the fear of being wooed by the dark side / I-could-be-the-bad-person? check!

I mean - boring! the same old coming of age story we all know and lived. been there. done that. got the t-shirt, and frankly read better versions of the story years ago.

furthermore, somebody said somewhere (here?) that they are going to split the last book(s) into several movies in order to capture more of the storyline. Father, no!!
Old Jan 27, 2009, 03:58 AM   #10
Darth Bob
The Eld
1,279 flights since Sep 2002

Harry potter be one dimensional trash, the films highlight this more than the books do, because while the characters themselves are cardboard, the world they live in isn't, and is rather wonderfully described.

But what gets me, is this, everyone in the "Magic" world seems completly incapable of living without magic, now while it's not exactly cliché, it's common, any society/race/cult that relys on magic for everything tends to end up dying rather nastily, yet in the potter world of magic, locking doors, unlocking doors, killing people, writing, food, lighting, all done by magic with no consequences, EVER.

Ok, so back to the actual point, while you could give Ron some leaveway here, you'd expect Harry or Hermoine to suggest something like automatic weaponry to kill Voldermort, or hell even a good old fashioned Iron sword , No it's not a magic automatic rifle, no not a magic sword, it's a normal mortal weapon with no magic at all, it's deadly and it'll kill, especially against a villain that has only bothered to protect himself against magic attacks.

and also can someone please explain what the hell IS voldermorts motivation? he had a bad child hood and has psychotic tendacies? really, desire to hurt people = must take over the world?
Darth Bob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 04:16 AM   #11
mack
misanthrope

i.....i've never knew i'd find a subject other than Resident Evil that I agreed with you on, DB. wow.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Borderline Sci-Fi/Fantasy