Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Reading Room

Your quiet and comfy lounge to pick up a great book and discuss sci-fi literature.

Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:26 AM   #1
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
The Robert Jordan Thread

Okay, he's a fantasy writer - but he is one of the best out there still writing. His writing style is much more akin to some of your more classic fanatasy writers like T.H White or Tolkien and less like your Dungeon&Dragons players-turned-writers (And Uther Northmubrand, weilding his arcane sword of carnage +1 dealt a decisive 5roll+2+2 hit upon his foe...).

Anyway, here's some news about RJ's condition"
Quote:
Jordan's Condition Good, But Mixed

Best-selling fantasy author Robert Jordan (The Wheel of Time) is back home after a visit to the Mayo Clinic, where he was treated for a rare blood disorder, "with mostly good, but certainly mixed results," Jordan's official blog reported.

Jordan, whose real name is Jim Rigney, has been undergoing treatment for a condition known as amyloidosis since April. Amyloidosis is a rare blood disease, affecting only eight people out of a million each year, which causes an abnormal protein buildup in various organs that can permanently damage them. Jordan's condition was first reported in a March 23rd letter to Locus Magazine.

Though amyloidosis is a serious and potentially fatal disease, Jordan said in his Locus letter that he has "30 more years worth of books to write," and added that he doesn't intend to "let this thing get in [his] way."

Jordan, who is perhaps best known for the Wheel of Time series, said on his blog that if "worse comes to worst," he will finish A Memory of Light, the final book in the main sequence of The Wheel of Time, so that the main story arc, at the very least, will be completed. Jordan added that A Memory of Light isn't intended to be the last Wheel of Time novel; he has plans to write two short prequel novels and possibly three "outrigger" novels set in the Wheel of Time universe. Jordan also has plans to write two Infinity of Heaven trilogies, a series set in "quite another universe." John Joseph Adams
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 03:22 PM   #2
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005
Re: The Robert Jordan Thread

He sounds pretty cool. I'll have to start thinking about reading him soon. I have a few books that I'm trying to finish off, but I think I'm ready to get into a series.
toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 12:02 PM   #3
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

I must admit that at times I struggle with his prose. If Jordan has a weakness in his writing it's his scope. The world he has created is every bit as robust and filled out as Tolkien's Middle Earth and moreso, but Tolkien was smart enough not to saturate his prose with overwhelming historical contextualizations. The bad part is, it's extremely interesting stuff, the multi-layered levels of history inherent in Jordan's world, the layers of myth, legend, and history. I suspect that it accounts for a large portion of his exposition and may be the root cause of why his books are so hefty, most coming in at around 650 pages.

His world is also, in many ways, a conglomeration of fantasy works, myth, and actual history with a little bit of Science Fiction thrown in. There is a race of men in his world that live the harsh desert environment that are very similar to the Fremen in Dune. There are smatterings of the Arhtur Legend, some Middle Earth tossed in, even hints that Jordan has read Terry Brooks and T.H. White and, oddly enough, a little Mervyn Peake.

I say all that to say this: stick with it once you start. The series has lost me on several occassions but every time I pick back up (and after I backtrack to try to get my footings again in the text) I get past a particularly tedious section and discover some really good storytelling just beyond the bend, some of the best I've read in Fantasy literature.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 09:57 AM   #4
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Great article in Forbes:

Quote:
My Author, My Life
Hannah Clark, 12.01.06, 12:00 PM ET

There are readers, and then there are fans. Readers offer condolences when a favorite author falls ill. Fans offer bone marrow.

Robert Jordan, author of the best-selling Wheel of Time series, has fans. And if you want to understand them, take a look at his blog. Since last spring, when he announced he had a rare blood disease called amyloidosis, Jordan, 58, has been chronicling his life-and-death struggle online. Whenever he's well enough to write, he thanks the fans who sent care packages, and those who donated to the Mayo Clinic, in Rochester, Minn., where he is being treated. Then there's this: "For Jaime Platt and her sister, your offer touches me deeply. They were able to harvest enough of my own bone marrow stem cells that I don't need marrow donation from elsewhere, but thank you very much. That was a kind and generous offer."
And you thought Harry Potter fans were enthusiastic?

Jordan's readers are offering help because they've developed a close connection with him through his books. They're also desperately hoping he lives to finish the series. Wheel of Time is like Lord of the Rings on steroids. Since Jordan launched the series in 1990, he's added another ten books, and more than 14 million copies have sold. Fans are patiently waiting for book No. 12, A Memory of Light, which Jordan promises will be the last, even if it reaches 2,000 pages. "I've told people you might need a forklift to get it out the door," says Jordan, speaking by phone from his home in South Carolina.

But there is, of course, an elephant in the room. Amyloidosis has no cure. Untreated, the average patient lives only 12 months after diagnosis, says Dennis Krysmalski, founder and CEO of the Amyloidosis Support Network. With treatment, patients survive an average of four years.

Jordan's fans are full of sympathy, but also fright of a more personal and perhaps selfish kind. His readers have been following the lives of Rand, Egwene, Elayne, Mat, Nynaeve and Perrin for more than 16 years. Fans have shared their concerns on Web sites like Dragonmount, Theoryland and WOTmania. "Of course you wouldn't ever wish a possibly terminal disease on anyone," wrote one poster, codman25. "But what happens if he doesn't finish the book?"

It's a dangerous question. Most fans avoid posting such sentiments for fear of appearing tactless. Posters like codman25 are often chastised as insensitive by others who claim to care only for the well-being of Jordan and his family. Jordan himself chuckles at these exchanges. He doesn't mind if fans worry about his ability to finish the series. "I hope I finish the books too," he says.

In the Internet age, fans can engage with a book long after they've finished it. They go online, meet other fans and participate in role-playing games. There's even a Web site profiling couples who have met and married because of the series. (One happy couple, Amber and Markku of Espoo, Finland, met in a "clan" devoted to the Wheel of Time board game.) Rabid Jordan fans know all about Harriet, his wife and editor, and they even sent her care packages when they learned he was ill.

Jordan's connection with his fans has grown even stronger since he began blogging about his illness. He has commented on his flat "behind" and opined on the virtues of Tabasco sauce. When readers asked his thoughts on death, however, Jordan, a Vietnam veteran and former atomic engineer, became more philosophical. "You deal with death the way you deal with breathing, or with air," he wrote. "Death is a natural and inevitable end." In other words, as he has written in all 11 books, "The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass."

Jordan plans to live another 30 years--long enough, he says to finish all the books that are in his head right now. That will require a large dose of luck, and so far, his luck has been mixed. The new drug he's taking seems to be working well. Still, he can write for two hours a day at most, compared with eight or nine hours in healthier times. At this rate, he'll submit the final book in 2008 for publication in 2009, says Tom Doherty, president of Tor Books, Jordan's publisher.

If he gets better, he'll write faster. No one wants to talk about the alternative. If he dies, could someone else finish the series? Authors like V.C. Andrews and Mario Puzo have posthumously passed along their series to other writers. Still, some fans worry that another author, even Harriet, wouldn't be true to Jordan's voice. Jordan, however, is open to the idea. "I'm getting out notes, so if the worst actually happens, someone could finish A Memory of Light and have it end the way I want it to end," he says. "But I hope to be around to actually finish it myself."

The decision, Jordan says, will be left to Harriet and Doherty, who has been a close friend and colleague for years. But Doherty isn't ready to address that possibility. "I'm not prepared to concede that that's going to happen," Doherty says. "I'm working on the belief that he's going to beat this thing. Who else can tell this story?"
Old Dec 10, 2006, 10:11 AM   #5
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Im staying away from his stuff. I hear that reading the Wheel of Time cycle is much like having an old crack habit. Time-consuming, impossible to quit, and ultimatly unsatisfying.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 04:00 PM   #6
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Wouldn't go quite that far - several of the books have very satisfying endings, particularly The Great Hunt and The Dragon Reborn - but yes, they are quite time consuming and very, very hard to quit. I've already quit on the series three or four times only to pick it back up again, once after having to backtrack nearly to the beginning and re-read two of the books (more like skim, but skimming 750 pages is like reading a normal sized book). I am now determined to complete the series, which stands at 11 hefty volumes with one more mega-volume promised. Then, I may check myself into rehab.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 04:16 PM   #7
ThinWLady
Mrs. Tony Harrison
1,295 flights since Feb 2002

Wheel of Time - I tried that "ages ago". At first it seemed to me almost nice (I had read Eddings and DragonLance before). But then... There was nothing new, Jordan's text started to feel to me boring. He uses too many words (I'll must admit, I was reading translated versions of his books) and he has difficulties to end a good story when it's time for it (just when you think the adventure has ended... there's another book! Perhaps the fans of LOTR movies like it that way?).
ThinWLady is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 02:21 PM   #8
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
Robert Jordan Has Died

The rumors were finally laid to rest this morning - Robert Jordan, real name James Oliver Rigney, Jr., died yesterday at the age of 58.

His last blog entry was less than two weeks ago, prognosis was good (he suffered from some rare blood disease the name of which requires far more typing than I care to do right now) and he was hopeful he could finish the final volume of his Wheel of Time series. I've little doubt he made arrangements to have the work completed by someone he trusted with his materpiece.

Man this is tough - he was a great guy and a solid writer - two tours of duty in Vietnam, numerous military decorations. I had high hopes of meeting him one day.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 02:25 PM   #9
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Some additional info:
Quote:
James Rigney, pen name Robert Jordan, has died.

Posted by: Sela Narian on 9/16/2007 6:22:58 PM (CST)
James Rigney passed today, September 16, at 2:45 pm. The following was posted on his blog by his cousin:
It is with great sadness that I tell you that the Dragon is gone. RJ left us today at 2:45 PM. He fought a valiant fight against this most horrid disease. In the end, he left peacefully and in no pain. In the years he had fought this, he taught me much about living and about facing death. He never waivered in his faith, nor questioned our God’s timing. I could not possibly be more proud of anyone. I am eternally grateful for the time that I had with him on this earth and look forward to our reunion, though as I told him this afternoon, not yet. I love you bubba.
Our beloved Harriet was at his side through the entire fight and to the end. The last words from his mouth were to tell her that he loved her.
Thank each and everyone of you for your prayers and support through this ordeal. He knew you were there. Harriet reminded him today that she was very proud of the many lives he had touched through his work. We’ve all felt the love that you’ve been sending my brother/cousin. Please keep it coming as our Harriet could use the support.
Jason will be posting funeral arrangements.
My sincerest thanks.
Peace and Light be with each of you,
Wilson
Brother/Cousin
4th of 3

To Catalyst: Never, never loose faith. RJ did not. Harriet hasn’t. I haven’t. Going through what we have, our faith is only strengthened. Besides, if God didn’t exist, we would have never had Jim. We did. God does. Remember my Brother/Cousin, my friend, think of him fondly and glorify God’s name.
Melissa Craib, Amyrlin of TarValon.Net, posted the following in the newly-created Robert Jordan Memorial Forum:
TarValon.Net will be doing the following to officially commemorate the father of this community:
- Creating a memorial forum
- Featured Obituary in the News and Information Site
- Special Edition Tar Valon Times about RJ, his life, death, and how is work affected us all.
- The Servant of All Scholarship will now officially be known as "The Robert Jordan Memorial Servent of All Scholarship."
- There will be several redesigns on the site, including a memorial video in place of our current video
- We will be sending flowers from us to the Funeral Wednesday Night, 5pm PST - We will meet in #wheel to have a toast together in IRC, share stories, and remember our friend.

If you would like to donate, we suggest either sending in a donation to the Mayo Clinic (which was RJ's favorite charity), or to the Scholarship Fund which has been renamed in his honor.
Flowers will come from our general fund and will be "From your friends at TarValon.Net."
Also, be aware, we might have some server issues in the coming days if we get too much traffic. Just an FYI.
As for the memorial wake and toast in IRC, we will plan to all take a drink (whatever it is you happen to drink) at 5:15 PST sharp on Wednesday. RJ's favorite drink was cognac, if anyone is interested.
Thank you all.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 09:18 AM   #10
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Sounds like The Wheel of Time might be coming to the big screen.

Quote:

Wheel Of Time Optioned

Universal Pictures has acquired film rights to the late Robert Jordan's best-selling Wheel of Time series of fantasy novels in a seven-figure deal, Variety reported.

Big-screen adaptations of the books will begin with the first book in the cycle, The Eye of the World.

Rick Selvage and Larry Mondragon will produce for Red Eagle Entertainment, which published graphic-novel adaptations of Jordan's books.

The Wheel of Time follows, among its dozens of characters, Rand al'Thor, the latest incarnation of a force for good called "The Dragon." Rand is born to fight an evil character called Shai'tan.

The Wheel of Time books have sold 44 million copies worldwide and have spawned computer, trading-card and role-playing games; a soundtrack; comic books; and numerous fan sites. The four most recent installments have reached number one on the New York Times best-seller list.

Jordan died last year at 58, but the final book in the series is still set for publication in fall 2009, with fellow fantasy scribe Brandon Sanderson writing the novel's conclusion from Jordan's notes and tapes. (Universal is owned by NBC Universal, which also owns SCIFI.COM.)

Personal opinion - terrible idea. The narrative is far too intensive for film, too many characters, too many minor nuances and story arcs that all work together across the 12 book series but seem painfully out of place in single novels. A good film will have to water down the story so much it should be all but unrecognizable to fans.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Reading Room