Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Serenity (2005)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Serenity (2005)

Can't stop the signal.

Old Jun 27, 2004, 04:27 PM   #1
benito
Recruit Pilot
7 flights since Jun 2004
Lightbulb Serenity movie, sequel to the 'Firefly' tv show NEWS ! Trailer now available !

Hello all, newbie here and serious fan of 'Firefly', a short-lived sci-fi Fox TV show that deserved better.

Fortunately, the movie 'Serenity' based on the Joss Whedon series started shooting in june, and an official site is already up and running (details below). The release is scheduled in April 2005.

I just wanted this crowd to know about 'Serenity', hoping that a lot of you will appreciate it, and support it. This is my small effort to spread the word.

The series aired in the fall 2002 but was too quickly cancelled after 11 or 12 episodes, mostly due to an unforgiving time slot and by the fact that the episodes were not aired in the order intended by the creator of the show.

The 'Firefly' series came out on DVD in December 2003 ( with 3 un-aired episodes) and was a real success. All the while, a huge fan base had developped on the net and is still growing strong, a good indication of the appeal and quality of the show.

The official movie site was in fact overrun in the first few days, and has managed to attract over 5000 registered members in only 4 days.

So... check out the DVD and see for yourself, and go on the net to see what all the fuss is about. I am personnaly convinced that this will be one of the blockbusters next year.

Here is a few links to the sites :
( I have to unashamedly admit that I'll get referal points when you click on the following links)

Serenity: The Official Movie Website

FireFlyFans.net

http://forums.prospero.com/foxfirefly/start (Firefly official board)

Last edited by benito : Apr 29, 2005 at 06:45 PM.
benito is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 07:17 AM   #2
ThinWLady
Mrs. Tony Harrison
1,295 flights since Feb 2002
Re: Serenity movie, sequel to the 'Firefly' tv show

I kind of liked the serie (or the little I saw from it). But it had the same problem that many other science fiction series seems to have: there's really nothing new... Anyway, it will be interesting to see what's happened to the serie and its fans after the next 1-2 decades... If somebody can even recall them after such a long time...
ThinWLady is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 06:41 PM   #3
benito
Recruit Pilot
7 flights since Jun 2004

While the premise of the show is not something new ( a band of rebels/independants trying to resist against the Empire/Alliance ...) the plots were imaginative, and there also was some interesting directions still to explore : the Blue Sun corporation, the Reavers, Book, River ... check the sites to get a feel of the underlying plot lines that never got to be fully explored.

I liked the fact that there was such a technological difference between the Alliance & and core planets, in contrast with the border moons where the isolation and need to survive made sense for a proven but less evolved technology. The 'wild west' meets sci-fi genre was successfully portayed IMHO.

Just a great show, again, go see for yourselves....

The DVD climbed to the 20th spot on Amazon.com this week-end, thanks to the new site for the Movie. It is currently in the 42 spot on the 100 DVD best seller list.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 08:23 AM   #4
ThinWLady
Mrs. Tony Harrison
1,295 flights since Feb 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by benito

I liked the fact that there was such a technological difference between the Alliance & and core planets, in contrast with the border moons where the isolation and need to survive made sense for a proven but less evolved technology. The 'wild west' meets sci-fi genre was successfully portayed IMHO.
I sort of liked it too. But the characters... Is it really so hard to make new kind of characters!? (...Although the "crazy" girl was ok.)
ThinWLady is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 12:37 PM   #5
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

I have one question: WHERE in the universe, were the ALIENS??

and I love the way Joss made each epidose stand alone (other than the last 2 I suspect)
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 08:54 PM   #6
benito
Recruit Pilot
7 flights since Jun 2004

... No aliens were harmed in the making of this TV show.....

No aliens, just plain old Sci-fi where we explore our backyard. The show relies on the oh! so human tendencies to prey on one another... no need of aliens as stand in for the evil bad guy, we can do that on our own. I think thats another way of portraying the future, plenty of other shows haved used, explored the Alien interaction with the human race.

ALIENS... we don't need no stinking ALIENS.

On another note, and to get you hooked on the great movie that will be Serenity, check out this pic of the ship :

theres plenty of other pics of the tv show at http://Firefly.deadly-nightshade.net

Ben
Old Jul 11, 2004, 09:01 PM   #7
mack
misanthrope

ARe they going to use the same ship prop for the movie that they used in the TV show?

This movie is going to be good. Hopefully, it will answer the questions that the series did not get around to answering due to the cancellation. woohoo!

nice pic, btw.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 09:14 PM   #8
benito
Recruit Pilot
7 flights since Jun 2004

Same ship.

On the boards on the movie site, they say they had to rebuild the set, but with minor changes to better fit the feature film genre vs. tv show.

I sincerly hope it will be a great movie. The fans are sold on it already, being the follow-up of to a familiar setting, but if the general public gets hooked as well, they might do more than one film, so more answers to the questions left hanging by the tv show.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 11:38 PM   #9
mack
misanthrope
Arrgh!

I am really getting into this show! Its out of control. I now only have the unaired episodes left to watch.

Benito (or anyone), do you have any idea who they are casting for the movie roles, or are they using the same actors?

Me and my sister were talking about it and she doesnt think that any of the actors, barring JAYNE, could properly play it on the Big Screen.

I am reeeeeeeally starting to like Jayne. It is really bad! He is REALLY bad! I mean, he is so good at being BAD, that both my sister and I think that he should get to play Jayne in the movie. No one that I can think of could play his irritating, annoying, selfish, mouthy, horny character quite the way he does. . . .

The man is predictable to a T.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 07:29 AM   #10
benito
Recruit Pilot
7 flights since Jun 2004

Glad to see you enjoy the show as much as I do

All the actors from the series have signed on for the show, so plenty of Jayne's antics in the future.

Talking about Jayne, and since I guess you have the dvd set, you should check out the actor singing 'Hero of Canton' from the JaynesTown episode, it's hi-larious.
That one is an easter egg, fourth dvd, second page of the special feature, select one of the entries (can't remember the one right now), then push the left arrow on your remote. That should hilight the sign in the background, hit enter and enjoy.

....I'll be in my bunk

Last edited by benito : Jul 13, 2004 at 06:31 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 06:59 AM   #11
mack
misanthrope

For some strange odd reason, I cant access it. Cant even FIND it. But I did enjoy watching the deleted scenes from the pilot. I think they should've left the second scene in--where Zoe explains to the doctor why Mal is so ruthless--- (yeah right!) that man isnt ruthless.

Why did they never air the last 3 eps? Were they not suitable for regular TV or something. . . . ? I figure in one you have the bordello (and all that went with that), and in the Trash ep, Mal was in the buff or a good long time! (whoaaaaaa---nice tattoo buddy. . . .)
Old Apr 29, 2005, 06:39 PM   #12
benito
Recruit Pilot
7 flights since Jun 2004
Serenity Trailer now available !! check it out

The trailer for Serenity hase just been released.

It is so cool !, go see it Here

If the movie is anything like the Firefly TV series, this will be BIG believe me.

Ther's already a strong following for Firefly. Check it out at these links :

Serenity: The Official Movie Website

FireFlyFans.net

http://forums.prospero.com/foxfirefly/start (Firefly official board)
Old May 7, 2005, 09:03 AM   #13
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

I kinda liked the series initially, though it did have a dull flatness to it which is what I suspect put a lot of people off as they're used to being spoon fed snappy sparkly Andromeda esque uck fests. Kept watching just cos I wanted to know what the hell River was and what she could do.

So is this going to be a big budget thing or a straight to DVD? Whats the plot? (I would go looking but I'm on dial up and I'd be looking for the next millenium)

EDIT: Grrrr I can't even get the trailer to load.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 04:19 PM   #14
mack
misanthrope

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
I wanted to know what the hell River was and what she could do.

You and the rest of the world.

She really is the true hook in the show--everyone else is transparent, but they hide the ball with her origins (though they be manufactured by the blue hand men?). Although one person who started watching my dvds mentioned that the show seems too sporadic and disconnected, with too many different storylines, as if Joss couldnt decide which way he wanted to go with the show.

I suppose that's a way of looking at it.
Old May 8, 2005, 04:27 PM   #15
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

More than River's, I want to know the Preacher's secret.

How the hell did he get a Federal Cruiser to do whatever he wanted just by flashing his ID card at the captain?! He told Mal he'd explain someday...

Well, it's now or never!

EDIT: Oh, and I'm still hoping to see more the Reavers.

Last edited by Iwata : May 8, 2005 at 04:36 PM.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Serenity (2005)