Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Off-World Discussion Forum

Forum for science fiction related material not listed in Movies Galleria or Upcoming Movies ONLY. If you want to chit-chat, please visit the Pilot's Mess.

Old May 29, 2001, 12:03 AM   #1
Taylor1960
Pilot
18 flights since Jan 2001
Thumbs up Re: Novels I'd like to see made into Movies...

I love SF. I admit it freely. I read it, I write it (not published yet, but trying), I watch it. But I am invariably disappointed, time and again by Hollywoods inability to do anything new. There are hundreds of great SF novels out there, yet few ever reach the screen. Here are some I'd like to see get made into films:

Starship Troopers. I'd like to see this done the way it was written. Powered suits, skinnies, nova bombs, Bald female pilots, the works. The movie was OK, but it wasn't really Starship Troopers.

The Forever War - Haldeman's anti-Heinlein Starship Troopers is one of my favorite novels of all time. I've read it about fifty times and always find something new I like. Hey SF channel, how about this one?

Enders Game/Enders Shadow/Shadow of the Hegemon - would make a whack trilogy or miniseries. Buggers, Enders, Combat School... This is another series I'll continue to read for years to come.

Legacy of Heorot - Niven/Pournelle/Barnes give us an Earth colony (sponsored by National Geographic!) that lands on a planet with a unique ecology. An ecology that the humans unwittingly screw up. If you haven't read this, then why the hell are you sitting there? Go read the damn thing!

Footfall - Niven/Pournelle. Aliens that look like little Elephants conquer Earth, or do they? This is one great read. No mistake about it. A favorite.

Lucifers Hammer - Niven/Pournelle strike again! A comet smashes into Earth ruining our civilization which has to climb back from the primordial muck. OK, it deals with a prepared people against an uncivilized bunch of louts, but it's a great book that can be read again and again.

Childhoods End - A.C. Clarke! This book is way better than 2001 and would make one hell of a movie. Hell V and ID4 already ripped off the opening scene, so why not do the granddaddy film and get it over with? Aliens that look like the Devil? You can't go wrong with this one!

Tunnel in the Sky - the Master, Robert Heinlein, tells a tale of a future without spaceships, instead interdimensional travel is used. To graduate High School, a class has to spend time on a wilderness planet. Usually nothing goes wrong...

That's all for now. How about some suggestions, folks? I'll be adding to this as I think of things...
Taylor1960 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2001, 02:25 PM   #2
Bending Unit
Pilot
24 flights since Apr 2001
Angry Re: Novels I'd like to see made into Movies...

About a year ago I read a book called "Dragon's Egg". Despite what the title infers this was not about dragons but about life on a neutron star. If I can find it again I'll give more details but it was a spellbinding book that would have to be about 99% cgi if it were made.
Bending Unit is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2001, 04:06 PM   #3
Thulsa Doom
Starfighter
68 flights since Apr 2001
Re: Novels I'd like to see made into Movies...

I think The Stars My Destination by Bester could make a really cool movie, plus for a long time I thought Anne McCaffrey's Crystal Singer would be pretty good on film too. On a more obscure note, Alan Dean Foster's Slipt would make a good movie, even a TV miniseries would be acceptable.
Thulsa Doom is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2001, 07:22 AM   #4
Xeno
Sector Marshall
751 flights since Mar 2001

sorry bout this reminder, but some novels are too good to be movies; Battlefield Earth. I hate the movie. Loved the book. I saw 'Dragon's Egg' in the fantasy section of my local WH Smith...or was it The Dragon's Egg...i forgot. Blue side with the name in wavery writing and 3 slashes on bottom (i only saw the side)
Xeno is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2001, 02:58 PM   #5
zombie84
Wing Commander
376 flights since Mar 2001

Enders Game and all of the follow ups (Speaker for the Dead, etc.) would make a GREAT miniseries or even a movie series. One of the best books i have read.
zombie84 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2001, 10:38 PM   #6
Bending Unit
Pilot
24 flights since Apr 2001
Thumbs up Re: Novels I'd like to see made into Movies...

Dragon's Egg
By Robert L. Forward

[Review posted at Amazon.com]

"Forward's book is a knockout. In Science Fiction there is only a handful of books that stretch the mind - and this is one of them." - Arthur C. Clarke
Bending Unit is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2001, 07:25 AM   #7
Xeno
Sector Marshall
751 flights since Mar 2001

yikes, even Authur C. Clark gave it a good review. It must be good. How far are the 'theories' cos L. Ron Hubbard ones were great cus i understood them (molecular bonding, space and time displacement etc...) Cant wait for Rendevous With Rama to be made into a movie though, love the Rama books.
Xeno is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2001, 02:42 AM   #8
flombaye
Pilot
22 flights since May 2001
stop bugging me

i suppose metamorphosis, if done tastefully, would make a simply delightful feature film, or perhaps could be formatted to produce a wildly popular saturday morn cartoon.
for that matter, i am enchanted by the prospect of a fresh line of beanie babies, representing the roster from the "garden of earthly delights" paintings by heironymous bosch.
flombaye is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2001, 12:32 PM   #9
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001
hmm...

Sci fi books and grahpic novels that I think should be made into movies are

all of the Predator, Alien, Alien .vs. Predator amd Terminator books and graphic novels. Every single one gets out of 5 stars with five being the best 3 1/2 or higher so I think they would all be great movies and editions to 3 of the most popular sci fi series's ever!
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2001, 10:57 AM   #10
Bayleaf48
Hero Of Time
1,316 flights since Jun 2001
Smile Novels That Should Be Made Into Movies

I think that the 'Discworld' series by Terry Pratchett should be made into several movies by combining the different books together to make a film about certain character(s) that feature within the different books.
Bayleaf48 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2001, 02:47 PM   #11
NitroTab
Pilot
40 flights since Jul 2001

I agree with You on footfall taylor,was a top book to read
NitroTab is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2001, 06:11 PM   #12
Bayleaf48
Hero Of Time
Smile Another Good Book That Should Be Made Into A Movie ....

I infact have read two really, really, really good books that should be made into one movie & they are: 'Jordan, A Formula 1 Racing Team' & 'Against The Odds: Jordan's Drive To Win' as if you read them both, you'll hopefully get to undestand all the different emotions that this particular F1 Grand Prix team went through right from first starting out if Formula 1 way back in 1991 & right up to their first win at Spa-Franchorchamps (Belgium) in 1998, which was also their first 1-2, with Damon Hill winning & Ralf Schumacher very closely behind him & I must admit that after the race, I was crying tears of joy!
Old Jul 31, 2001, 09:39 AM   #13
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

I think Battlefield Earth would make a great movie. Unfortunately, the movie that was made was absolutely horrible. I think a petition should be started to re-make Battlefield Earth on one condition: John Travolta and everyone who had anything to do with last years farce be banned from it.

I think Asimov's Robots and Empire would make a great film as would any of the later Foundation novels (Foundation's Edge, Foundation and Earth, Forward the Foundation ).

It's not a book, but a movie based on the real time strategy game StarCraft would be cool.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2001, 06:00 PM   #14
Bayleaf48
Hero Of Time
Smile Re: Novels I'd like to see made into Movies...

I have yet another idea for a book to be amde into a novel & this one is 'London: A History' by Edward Rutherford, as it's a really, really, really, really good book using fictional characters set in London & telling the city's history right from the beginning to when the book was published.
Old Aug 5, 2001, 02:16 AM   #15
NebuchadnezzaR
Wing Commander
162 flights since Jan 2001
Post Re: Novels I'd like to see made into Movies...

Childs End. A.C.C. rules.

I want to see The Time Machine also.
NebuchadnezzaR is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum