Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Spider-Man (2002, 2004) [movie series]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Spider-Man (2002, 2004) [movie series]

With great power comes great responsibility. | I guide

Old Nov 18, 2002, 02:24 PM   #31
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001
Re: What makes Spiderman so good?

Hmmm Praise from HWS, I might just have to see this now. I'm calling my mom and telling her to pick it up.
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 02:37 PM   #32
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

I am a little Spidey biased. I was a loyal follower of the Spiderman adventures via the comicbook spectrum. But as a Spiderman fan, I couldn't have asked for more from the first film. It did a great job of establishing and telling the Spiderman story without selling out the villian (like Batman did). The sequels will be less backstory and more action, which should bode well for the series.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2002, 11:27 AM   #33
Ender
Wing Commander
305 flights since Apr 2002

hmmmm. i did enjoy it. but agree with ivanhoe that the cgi was ridiculess. it would have been btr to do it the old superman way with bluescreens than with cgi.

i always liked spiderman, mostly because he was human, and as a kid you dream you really CAN be a superhero, therfore Spdrmn struck a chord.

so i summary, the movie was good, though after seeing the DVD i bought, i felt a bit like the guy who thinks he got a real good deal on something. only to find out that it was only ok. i.e. not really disapointed, but it could have been beter.
Ender is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2002, 01:16 PM   #34
La_Lune
Starfighter
168 flights since Jan 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by MasterYautja
Do you mean you never got the comics as in, you never BOUGHT them? Or that you never understood them? Because I don't see how you can respect the movie and not respect the comics.

I think the only comic-to-movie movie that ever really succeeded was 1989's Batman. I love this movie, and I think it is much better than Spider-Man. And I like Spider comics better than BM comics! I think it just takes the right director and screen writers to make the movie good.

I never BOUGHT them. My parents would'nt allow me to "waste my money" on comic books...

I WISH I could have bought them...
La_Lune is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2002, 01:28 PM   #35
NinjaMonkey
Wing Commander
233 flights since Aug 2002

This movie was mediocre in my opinion. Not so much because of the story, but because of the effects, some of the dialog writing, and the fact that it was directed by Sam Raimi (sp?). This movie was better than Batman Forever and Batman and Robin but not as good as X-Men or the Tim Burton directed Batman.

I thought the effects were, for the most part, atrocious. Some of them did look cool, but they had so much refectivity that it ruined the atmosphere. At times, the effects moved the scenes along without allowing the viewer to follow. Batman Forever did this in places too. It's cool to have fast action, but it also has to be slow enough that the viewer can visually see what is happening. Not being able to follow the logic of what is happening, and where the characters are going ruins the excitement.

This movie had way too many elements of Sam Raimi, because....it was directed by Sam Raimi. I liked Army of Darkness and thought most of his cheese worked well in that setting, but I hated all of his series that evolved from that dreadful "Action" mess. (The only show I was interested in ending up sucking too: TekWar). The discussion between Willen Defoe and himself in the mirror reminded me way too much of something that would happen on Xena. Some of the other action scenes also reminded me of Xena and Hercules.

It's too bad the movie was so blah in the later scenes, because I really like the first 30 minutes or so, and I like many of the story elements. Once the movie gets going, there's just too much cheese, and the ending was rather anti-climatic. It wasn't a particularly bad movie, I just wish it had been better.
NinjaMonkey is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2002, 10:20 AM   #36
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001

I never had any problem with the F-X. IMHO I thought they were good. No Predator, SW, Terminator or Matrix effects, but still good. And I don't know whats with this DVD thing, I thought this is a good DVD.
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 12:50 PM   #37
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

Well I finaly watched it and It wasn't that bad. The story line was predictable but what would you expect. Definetly sets up for a sequel. The fx wern't bad. The slinging though the city were cool. watching him at first was pretty funny though.

7/10 on the Tack-omoter
Tack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 04:14 AM   #38
yautjatraker
Pilot
23 flights since Nov 2002

I thought it was a great film, full of action, great special effects, and a standard plot (better than no plot at all)

ender have you even looked at the old superman, how bad are the special effects, at least with cgi they can have very fast movement, which is why they we nt with it.

i used to watch the cartoon as a kid, and now have gotten into the (old) comics, and i think the movie may not have captured the characters exactly, but they did keep parts of them in.

kirsten dunst character mary jane is nothing like the comics, but still a likeable character. the reason for this may be because they set the movie in modern day, and thought the character would just look over the top, i dunno, just a theory.

as for the green goblin, yes he may look like an extra from power rangers, but his armour makes more sense than a simple costume, which is what he had in the comics (far as i can tell)

and the action scenes may be short, but they are sweet.

all in all, a mauusively entertaining movie.

9.1 / 10.0
yautjatraker is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2002, 09:57 PM   #39
Phlub
The Head Hunter

Well to answer the thread titles question...

I don't know what makes Spiderman so good. I mean there is just something about the whole movie.

But for me I thinkt the main reason is that, Pete Parker (Spiderman) is just your everyday guy and that kind of is cool if your just one of those "normal old joes".
Old Dec 26, 2002, 10:04 AM   #40
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Spider-Man greatly benefited from superb casting of the main characters, better than average writing, and a director who clearly loved the material in its original form and was bent on bringing it to the screen as pure and unmeddled with as possible. Both the Batman films and X-Men offered wide variations from their comic book origins, relfecting more of the director's vision of what the superhero's world might be like than a true screen adaptation of the comicbook. Superman was close and was a better film, but one could argue that a comicbook written in the 1930's was difficult at best to translate into a non-cheesy film. The sequels suffered terribly from poor writing and directing.

It's the material that made this film. Peter Parker was no alien, he was no mutant, and he was no mentally tortured adult with some serious childhood inner demon issues. He was goofy, uncool kid with acne who hit the superhero lottery and had a great time. Of all the superhero comics I read, Spiderman was the only superhero that really seemed to have fun being a superhero. And I mean, seriously, who wouldn't?

We are in for a barrage of superhero films over the next couple of years and I predict few of them will out-do Spider-Man simply because these films have so much to work with. Daredevil is out in less than two months so I can quickly put my theory to the test!
Old Dec 26, 2002, 01:16 PM   #41
Ender
Wing Commander
305 flights since Apr 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by yautjatraker
I

ender have you even looked at the old superman, how bad are the special effects, at least with cgi they can have very fast movement, which is why they we nt with it. all in all, a mauusively entertaining movie.

9.1 / 10.0

probably before you were born

i actually did resee them a couple of years ago, and i think that they still look pretty good. A bit outdated - sure, but still good taking into acount the period. Of course i dont really think modern movies should be done with wires, but the other extream, when one actually laughs seeing this rubber looking figure flip floping around is also not very good.
regarding sith's post - the charachters were casted well i'll admit, but the writing took some of the magic out, and made it too comical. (like the first time he discovered webbing shooting out of his hands. didnt he MAKE them in the comics?)
Ender is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2002, 01:41 PM   #42
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Quote:
Originally posted by Ender
(like the first time he discovered webbing shooting out of his hands. didnt he MAKE them in the comics?)

Yes, he did, but I think that change was needed and worked well. It would be difficult to believe, in this day and age, that an 18 year old kid could invent a superadhesive, superstrong, tensile, liquid binder/rope, that would allow him to swing from buildings and hold up cable cars yet be concentrated enough to be stored in a capsule the size of a multivitamin on his wrist. If he did, I would think he could sell the patent and make millions. Plus, as someone has mentioned, it made sense that, along with his other spider abilities, he also had the ability to shoot webbing.
Old Dec 26, 2002, 05:27 PM   #43
Kiatsu
Wing Commander
157 flights since Apr 2002
Thumbs up Ahhh yes spiderman

Spiderman was an excellent movie. I actually liked the movie so much that i bought the dvd. now that ive seen the movie about 300 times i do see a few flaws in the movie. I think the casting sucked and the acting could have been a little better. does anyone else think that well damn it i forgot his name but you know neo from the matrix. well i think he would have made a better spiderman. and i think one of the golden girls would have made an excellent aunt mae. Kirsten dunst was a perfect mj though. and uncle ben could have been replaced also i just dont know by whom. and the web slinging was great just a little too short. all and all this was a great movie.
Kiatsu is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2002, 12:22 AM   #44
Phlub
The Head Hunter

I have to go with Sith on this one, when I saw Toby Maguire cast as Spiderman I was skeptical. But now I think he was the man. And there was really no way to screw the script up. And like Sith said the main character casting was excellent.

7.5-8/10
Old Dec 29, 2002, 03:32 PM   #45
Rook
Starfighter
90 flights since Dec 2002
Thumbs up Re: What makes Spiderman so good?

I loved Spider-Man!

As a long time fan of both the comics and the cartoons, I was not disappointed by the film. I'd even go so far as to say that it's my favorite superhero film (Batman and Superman coming in a close second). I thought they pulled off the CGI fairly well (and I am NO fan of most CGI in live-action films), even if there were a few places where it was a bit obvious. I didn't mind the storyline, and the actors were cast well--especially Tobey Maguire, whom I will confess having my doubts about early on.

Well, ok, maybe the idea that there are 15 of these genetically altered spiders, rather than one unintentionally created radioactive one, bugged me a little. The original concept made Spider-Man's condition a bit more exclusive. What are the chances that one of those 15 spiders is never going to bite someone else--especially since the one that bit Peter Parker escaped and is presently at large in the city of New York?

All in all, though, I thought it was a great film. Think I'll go watch it now.

Of course, if they ever make a Spider-Girl film, I'll kill myself...
Rook is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Spider-Man (2002, 2004) [movie series]