Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > 2001-2010 [movie series] > 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

The Ultimate Trip. | guide

Old May 26, 2001, 07:37 PM   #1
jack
Apprentice
1 flights since May 2001
Thumbs up Re: 2001 space odyssey

it may be very nieve of me , but i saw 2001 a Space Odysee yesterday and am left a little confused. Are those black monoliths transports?
jack is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2001, 08:24 PM   #2
Hell Spawn
Wing Commander
277 flights since Mar 2001
Re: 2001 space odyssey

Oh the theories the theories, well the most educated guess would be "yes" it was a transport to the alien planet, but again, i dont believe that. When the little monkey heard the sounds from the monulith, he was transported anywhere, instead ibelieve that they inittiate some brain wave pattern and some how transport information to a brain, or increase brain activity. I think that whole thing was just Bowman being shale we say "alivated" to a higher realm of thought. But his primative body couldnt handel the tranformation. So his physical body died, and he can only be seen in multiple forms, a fetus, old man, and space man.
Hell Spawn is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2001, 05:47 AM   #3
Eowyn
Wing Commander
162 flights since Jan 2001

I believe the monoliths were devices(alien?) for giving higher conciousness. When the apes first find the monolith they suddenly become more intelligent and started using bones as weapons. In fact you could interpret this as the start of the evolution to man.

Then again the next step of evolution for man is when we develpoped enough to reach the moon (the second monolith). Then finally the final monolith when he becomes the star child. Not entirely sure what this is all about. But one idea i have is that he becomes the child of a new generation of enlightened humans.

But I haven't read the book, so this is my interpretation of the film.
Eowyn is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2001, 04:16 PM   #4
Thulsa Doom
Starfighter
68 flights since Apr 2001

The monoliths clearly have multiple functions. For example, when the monolith on the moon is first touched by the light of day (an event which could only happen when the monolith was unearthed by intelligent beings), it sends an intense radio signal out toward Jupiter (or Saturn, depending if you go by the novel or the film). In the sequel 2010, the monoliths reproduce and ...

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
...and cause Jupiter to ignite into a temporary sun to encourage the development of life on Io.

So I interpret the monoliths as versatile tools, capable of performing a variety of tasks for their masters.

Also, according the novel, Bowman really is physicially transported to an orbit around a white dwarf (I think) millions of light years distant. When he returns as the star child, he is a spiritual being (or something equivalent). The movie really makes a lot more sense if you've read the book and it's sequels.
Thulsa Doom is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2001, 12:15 AM   #5
Unregistered
n/a flights since
What the Monoliths Represent

You ask whether the monoliths are transports. No, they are not. Each of the four monoliths has four identities--one for the surface story and one for each of three allegories. (The allegories are hidden stories told by the surface story, the story seen on the screen.) That's 4 x 4 = 16 identities. The allegorical identities are explained in the new (2000) book "Kubrick's 2001: A Triple Allegory," page 92; additional detail is scattered throughout the book. The surface story identities of the four monoliths are explained in chapter 2, pages 31-33. Everything else in the movie is explained too.
Old Apr 20, 2002, 12:48 PM   #6
BalrogTim
X
1,044 flights since Mar 2002

I still think that they are transports. The book and movie confirm this in a logical way. The transformation of Dave Bowman intot he star-child makes perfect sense, evolution changes things.
BalrogTim is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2002, 11:24 PM   #7
floyd
Libertarian
1,141 flights since Feb 2002

in the book, it vaugly touches on this subject. It's said that moonwatcher, the main charecter monkey, is presented with pictures of the rival apes eating the animals and getting fat. He then experienced envy. He wanted to eat and be fat, so he killed the other monkey with the femur bone. I don't know if this was an expansion of actual thought capacity, or just an introduction of new ideas, both would make sense.
floyd is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 11:11 PM   #8
gawd4
Recruit Pilot
7 flights since Aug 2002

I believe the monoliths to be many things under the general heading of "multipurpose tool".

They are used to give inspiration, to transport, to send simple or complex messages of any kind that might suit the user(s). There are more uses for it than we can imagine. (An alien "Leatherman" maybe ?)

I just read Arthur Clarke's "The Lost Worlds of 2001" (after reading the novel) and there's a lot of great explanation in the novel plus a lot of wonderful extrapolation in the Lost Worlds, which is mostly Clarke's ideas that didn't make the final cut of book or film. The last part of Lost Worlds describes some amazing places that would be wonderful material for a film.
gawd4 is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > 2001-2010 [movie series] > 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)