Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Serenity (2005)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Serenity (2005)

Can't stop the signal.

Old Nov 6, 2005, 09:41 PM   #1
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002
Arrow You People are Insane, and Blatantly Flaunt a Double Standard

How is BTVS any different from Blade?

If not, why is it ok to discuss Buffy in the science fiction forums, but not Blade?

And dont tell me that its because it is remotely related to Joss Whedon, because, somewhere, in some Pred/Term forum, there is a thread slapping posters on the wrist for talking about "Arnold" as opposed to the "movie itself". (Or was that Charles Sheffield and Captain Kirk? You get my point.)

What's good for one should be good for all, else its all incredibly arbitrary.
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 02:19 AM   #2
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001
Re: You People are Insane, and Blatantly Flaunt a Double Standard

It had robots!
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 09:10 AM   #3
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

It SHOULD be OK to talk Blade in the forums, or at least to have a Blade thread. I'm fairly certain I was on this side of the argument the last time it occured, if not then just consider me a turn-coat

Blade had gadgets ala Bond, which we technically have a forum for, and all the science-y malarky about the blood is at least as bad as that from Hollow Man or any number of equally hokey premises.

I forget, which side of this argument am I on?
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 09:12 AM   #4
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

Yeah, maybe I'm crazy, but I sorta figured that all the science fiction in Buffy qualified it for science fiction.

I can think of at least... three different killer robots, one cyborg, B-movie fish mutants, aliens, super duper electro guns, an invisibility ray, parallel dimensions, behaviour modification chips, herds of mad scientists, body snatchers, an eight-foot preying mantis...

Although having said that, personally I would have considered Arnold a valid topic in a Predator/ Terminator forum.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 09:18 AM   #5
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

And The Initiative, as Nex pointed out in a convo once, they're very SciFi . A secret government experimental facility, complete with high-tech security and holding cells and everything??
Old Nov 7, 2005, 10:04 AM   #6
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

I still say we should have a forum for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

People complained that it's far too childish and "unserious" SF, but Ramses did give us a forum for Mac & Me, for God's sake.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 10:05 AM   #7
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman

Have you seen the poster in that forum? God, that's creepy <<shudder>>
Old Nov 7, 2005, 02:15 PM   #8
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Er, I think Blade should have a forum (check out a certain Ghostbuster thread if you don't believe), Blade II at the very least (hence the others can be talked about by association ), as should Superman - we have things like Ghostbusters which isn't majority sci-fi, it's stupid not to.

And yes Buffy/Angel = sci-fi? If you read the threads, you would see why we think they qualify.

I find it ironic actually, you're *****ing about Buffy and not Dog Soldiers - which you love? Dog Soldiers isn't sci-fi, it's supernatural/horror/fantasy, at least Buffy & Angel incorporate science fiction (let's count shall we?):

> robots (at least 3 seperate times)
> cyborg (maj season)
> chemically enhanced super soldiers (whole season + numerous episodes)
> alternate dimensions (numerous eps and the majority arise through 'scientific' methods)
>frankenstein monsters (twice I think)
>gadgets (waay too many to count, lasers, futuristic guns, stuff to make ghosts see-able, brain chips, entire labs full of analysis equipment for non-existing phenomena)
> serums & viruses
> behavior modification - chips, chemicals, experimentation etc
> Angel even has a scientist on the team (that's how often SF crops up).
> fish mutants
> aliens (there were aliens?)
> preying mantis lady
> body swapping resolved through science
> lost track of the times 'potions' were concocted s
> sentient entity wandering around the internet, then makes itself a robot avatar

Then there's the whole Joss saying that Buffy et al were actually just all characters from an alternate universe.

N.B.: I see fantasy & sci-fi so heavily related - so much of it is perspective based - I don't have a problem with Dog Soldiers being here.

IF Ramses were here, we could actually have decent pitches for forums (which he has previously posted he intended) and it would be fair, but you know pigs flying.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 02:59 PM   #9
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

You are right, we shouldn't be discussing Blade or Buffy in the SF forums.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Serenity (2005)