Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Andromeda Strain, The (1971)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Andromeda Strain, The (1971)

Rated G... But may be too intense for younger children. | guide

Old Aug 13, 2001, 11:06 PM   #1
Bobnose
Apprentice
1 flights since Aug 2001
Re: Rated 'G'????

Was this movie really supossed to be rated 'G'? I mean there was lots of nudity, swearing, and disturbing images. Any Opinions?
Bobnose is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2001, 12:52 PM   #2
Doppleganger
Apprentice
1 flights since Sep 2001
Nudity-yes!

When I saw the film upon it's original release, there was a shot of a topless woman lying on a bed during the town search scene in Piedmont. Also, during the decontamination sequence at "Wildfire", there were quick "butt shots" of the actors. In the video versions I have seen since, these have been edited out. Is there an un-edited version out there?
Doppleganger is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2001, 10:29 PM   #3
Unregistered
n/a flights since

Yes, I have seen and rented the unedited version. Butts and boobs and all. Hard to believe it was G.
Old Nov 6, 2001, 04:43 PM   #4
Unregistered
n/a flights since
yeah

I watched this in *school* on video-- it was comepletely unedited. Due to time constraints I only saw the movie throuhg the part where they discover its size, however, from what I saw, even more disturbing than the nudity was the dying. The dead bodies in the town were creepy enough, then the lab animals! :*( I'm gonna have some nightmares tonight...
Old Mar 11, 2002, 08:18 PM   #5
floyd
Libertarian
1,140 flights since Feb 2002

wow, i though at least it was rated pg, and that was without the nudity! - I think that if the movie was released today, it would most certainly be a pg-13 movie. I guess they REALLY wanted little kids to be interested in science rather than weed, so they gave it a g rating.
(also, chrighton hit this one out of the park, really great book, really great movie.)
floyd is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2002, 08:35 PM   #6
BalrogTim
X
1,044 flights since Mar 2002

Hmmmm....when I saw it, everything was there. Complete nudity and the such. I wonder......only "g", but then you have to think, the ratings were different back then.
BalrogTim is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2002, 12:08 AM   #7
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001

Yes and Caddyshack was "R". The ratings back then were stricter. Maybe the studio that made it just decided to rate it "G" and were drunk at the time.
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2002, 08:58 PM   #8
cabalcomb
Knight of Honor
309 flights since Jan 2001

I have seen the movie many many times, including in the theater when it was originally released. I never saw any "visible" nudity in the film. All the nudity was defused behind medical screens. I agree it probably could have been rated PG. However, the ratings standard had not been in exsistance very long at that time. Films were rated differently in the early 1970s.
PG-13 did not become part of the ratings system until the early 1980s when "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" was released.
cabalcomb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2002, 06:13 AM   #9
Charlie
Wing Commander
342 flights since Mar 2002
Smile Re: Rated 'G'????

I agree with you Cabalcomb-- At the time the film had an authoritive feel to it--as if based on actual events.
It was a disturbing an exciting film and it's "serious" approach- dictated it's certifcate.
Charlie
Charlie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2002, 10:19 PM   #10
DaughterRogue
Wing Commander
214 flights since Sep 2002

Whoever rated this movie probaly was DRUNK!!!!!!
DaughterRogue is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2002, 10:30 PM   #11
Phlub
The Head Hunter

This movie gets a PG-13 at least from me because of the intensity of the movie and brief nudity.
Old Oct 11, 2002, 07:14 AM   #12
floyd
Libertarian

whoever rated it, propobly decided that all nudity was justified, for scientific reasons.

And because the film was based around (almost exclusively) scientific jargan... they didn't want to discourage kinder-folk from watching it, and absorbing the new knowledge.
Old Oct 11, 2002, 02:17 PM   #13
Phlub
The Head Hunter

Well still PG-13 would get a lot of people. I mean come on there is nudity and it was kinda looked "down upon" by people back then....

The science, it was intense and ALMOST scary how they did it, but it still is not PG or G.
Old Oct 12, 2002, 08:49 PM   #14
DaughterRogue
Wing Commander
214 flights since Sep 2002

RE-RATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DaughterRogue is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2002, 09:23 PM   #15
floyd
Libertarian

propobly changed the rating on it...

you know... the graduate was rated r when it was released, not it's rated pg-13 --

a clockwork orange was rated x, now it's r...

so you never can tell what a movie is ACTUALLY rated!

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Andromeda Strain, The (1971)