Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Star Wars (1977-2005) [movie series]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Star Wars (1977-2005) [movie series]

Every generation has a legend. Every journey has a first step. Every saga has a beginning. | Episode I guide

Old May 17, 2006, 07:12 PM   #1
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall
848 flights since Feb 2005
Star Wars Deleted Scene (Luke & Biggs)

This is the first time I've seen this and it's too bad it's not in the movie, though maybe it breaks up the flow of the movie too much.

Deleted Scene

Last edited by toomuchcoffee : May 17, 2006 at 07:18 PM.
toomuchcoffee is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 08:33 AM   #2
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
Re: Star Wars Deleted Scene (Luke & Biggs)

Pretty cool. That's the first time I've seen those scenes put together with the dialogue (and even music added in). I used to own the "Behind the Magic" CD-ROM and it had a sort of cut and paste video montage featuring pieces of all the infamous deleted scenes from the original trilogy, including these scenes with Biggs and Luke in the famous hat and goggles.

Despite some rather juvenile dialogue early on this is a very well written scene. Makes one marvel at how decent a screen writer George Lucas was at one time and what happened between then and the prequels. According to the CD-ROM, Lucas felt it was important to make Luke's first scene dramatic and as late in the film as possible. I don't necessarily agree. There is a lot of information in that brief scene that you have to figure out on your own (if you ever do). It also does a good job of introducing (for the first an only time) this idea that the Rebellion was an idealistic movement, something very attractive to young cadets looking for action, for a cause to rally to and it also helped establish The Empire as something more than some monstorous force going around and blowing up planets.

Conclusion: it was well written, decently acted, contained a lot of relevant and revealing information...no wonder Lucas left it out...needed more room for special effects!
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 11:07 AM   #3
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,025 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

I remember reading that whole interplay in the novelization. The editing for this was well done. Too bad Lucas has this thing for keeping all the decent deleted scenes out permanantly.
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 11:17 AM   #4
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

You can also hear the girl calling Luke "Wormie." Another hint at Frank Herbert's Dune influence perhaps?

When I was a kid I had the Star Wars Picture Book and it contained a picture of Luke standing next to Biggs on Tatooine. At the time (being only about 9 years old), it drove me crazy. I had seen the movie twice that summer and could not figure out who the guy in the cape with the french tickler was! I think it was this book that started the whole urban legend about an "uncut" version of Star Wars being broadcasted during the first television broadcast in 1980. Of course, these scenes have never been completed or edited into the film in any form.

Other scenes I wouldn't mind seeing are the wompa attack on Hoth in TESB and the sandstorm scene in ROTJ. There is apparently about 45 minutes worth of additional Hoth footage that was cut when TESB was clocking in at around 3.5 hours. Today, 3+ hours is no biggie, back then they considered it movie death to go on that long.
Old May 18, 2006, 05:50 PM   #5
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall

That really is too bad. Why not put it back in? I hadn't heard about the sand storm. I wonder if that was cool. Even if they don't add it back in, it should be in the deleted scenes section. Damn it.
Old May 19, 2006, 08:39 PM   #6
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall

I just watched it again and I think they should at least put that scene back in where Biggs tells Luke he's joining the Rebellion. It would really strengthen the scene where Biggs dies, I think.

Sith already said that, I guess, but, darn it, it would just seem like a new, fresh movie if they did.
Old May 20, 2006, 09:00 AM   #7
Optimus Prime
Autobot Commander
2,025 flights since Dec 2003
Location: Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

We all know how Lucas is, he doesn't have the vision that Peter Jackson had by adding the extra 45 minutes to each of the LOTR films.

I think in many cases adding the deleted scenes helps fill in the gaps that so many films leave storywise.
Optimus Prime is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 08:34 AM   #8
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Peter Jackson's Extended Cuts should definately stand as the definitive, final editions of his films. More than that, the Extended Editions should have been the only editions. In all three films that additional footage rounds out the story and actually helps the pace of the film even though it extends the length.

I recently watched the theatrical cut of The Two Towers on cable, or most of it, and the film seemed watered down.

So far, Lucas's additions to his original trilogy has proven that his talent in final editing far outweighs his directing talents. There's not a lot, but what he did put in is out of place and totally breaks the flow of the film. Is there anyone on this planet who said to themselves the first time they watched Return of the Jedi "Man, I wish that alien musical number in Jabba's palace was about ten minutes longer...that's good stuff!"
Old May 30, 2006, 11:03 AM   #9
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall

I guess you don't think much of George Lucas's directing talents, then.

I agree with the extended LotR being the definitive version. (My goal right now, or at least in the future, when I have time to spend reading the books, is to develop a personal, conclusive opinion on their worth as literature. It seems that people intellectually capable of knowing good literature when they see it either love the books or are not impressed by them for whatever reason. Salmon Rushdie has said that he loves the books, though he doesn't like them for the writing. I started and almost completed a vocab guide for the books with photos of the plants [I noticed that a lot of the plants in the book are in the movie, though I don't think the Rowan trees were used at the end of FotR.] and various other things that I'm not familiar with. So, when I'm done with that, I'd like to read the books again, though this time able to understand what I am reading with regard to the passages with archaic or obscure words. Anyway the movies might be experienced differently or more appreciated with a greater understanding of the books. Wow, I went off topic there, didn't I?).
Old May 30, 2006, 11:21 AM   #10
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Quote:
Originally posted by toomuchcoffee
I guess you don't think much of George Lucas's directing talents, then.

Unless I am mistaken and George Lucas actually didn't direct The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Return of the Jedi - then yes, I don't...or no I don't...
Old May 30, 2006, 11:48 AM   #11
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall

I just thought it was a clever insult to bash his editing and then to say that his editing abilities far outweigh his directing abilities.
Old May 30, 2006, 11:54 AM   #12
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Actually, pure directing style, he's probably a decent director, even good within his genre. It's his writing that, most especially in the prequels, that's really wretched. I can't help but think that an outside director would read some of that crap and tell him how bad it was.

As for editing, he's often admited that it was money, time, and technology restraints the prevented him from adding to the original films. Who knows, had he had the cash, time, and know-how back then longer versions of the films might have turned out okay. But 25 years of political correctness and living with his own inflated ego most definately had an effect on him.
Old May 30, 2006, 12:06 PM   #13
toomuchcoffee
Sector Marshall

Political correctness will get you every time. I mean, cultural/ethnic awareness is one thing, but it seems like it can sometimes poison an understanding of what actually exists in reality.

I hadn't actually thought of political correctness with regard to Star Wars before, but I suppose I can imagine it being there as the movies, at least TPM and aspects of thers, seem to be more inspired by the imagination of someone who has had a safe life and not really in touch with the reality of human nature, not on a deep level anyway.

I haven't thought about it extensively, but that might be the problem with the movies, just going off intuition without looking carefully at the movies to know if that's the correct diagnosis.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 12:15 AM   #14
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,284 flights since Mar 2001

Wow that should have been included! It really adds depth to both Luke and Biggs (especially Biggs) as people and would serve well to humanize them in a great way.

Leave it up to Lucas to leave substantive material out of the movies...
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 03:46 PM   #15
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchcoffee
Political correctness will get you every time. I mean, cultural/ethnic awareness is one thing, but it seems like it can sometimes poison an understanding of what actually exists in reality.

I hadn't actually thought of political correctness with regard to Star Wars before, but I suppose I can imagine it being there as the movies, at least TPM and aspects of thers, seem to be more inspired by the imagination of someone who has had a safe life and not really in touch with the reality of human nature, not on a deep level anyway.

I haven't thought about it extensively, but that might be the problem with the movies, just going off intuition without looking carefully at the movies to know if that's the correct diagnosis.

I caught some doco on the history channel a while back - forget the name - The Myth Revealed or something like that. It was basically an hour long gush fest conerning the overinflated signficance of the Star Wars films. I found the whole exercise a little weird to be honest. Here were legitimate historians and film makers discussing at length how important the Star Wars films are for being a harsh refelctions of the reality of our times. The usual comparisons were there - Empire to Nazi Germany - rebellion war to Vietnam - etc. etc. Is Star Wars a true allegory? These gushers seemed to think so yet their allegorical connections were assinine! How can the same film be an allegory of Nazi Germany and an allegory of the Vietnam War at the same time unless on some very high, very general, very simplistic "all war is bad" level???

It really was very silly and strange and though I did not see Lucas or Rick McCallum anywhere near it, it was obvious their vain attempts at adding signficance to a set of films already laughed into the dust bin of filmdom were at work!

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Star Wars (1977-2005) [movie series]