Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Off-World Discussion Forum

Forum for science fiction related material not listed in Movies Galleria or Upcoming Movies ONLY. If you want to chit-chat, please visit the Pilot's Mess.

Old Jun 3, 2006, 11:27 PM   #1
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001
Top 10 Most IMPORTANT Sci-Fi Movies of All-Time

Ok nex, my thread was of the Top 10 BEST Sci-Fi movies of all-time. Jacker's thread was of the Top 10 FAVORITE Sci-Fi movies of all-time. This thread is of the Top 10 MOST IMPORTANT Sci-Fi movies of all-time.

Here is my list of important sci-fi movies...

1. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope- This is the king of Sci-Fi films. I like Episode 4, but its not my favorite. Never the less this is the movie that changed sci-fi forever. In good and bad ways. The good were the advances in technology, the story, and the birth of a great series. The bad was the stereotypes of sci-fi fans that grew from this and also the growing of Lucas' ego.

2. 2001: A Space Odyssey- Again, it revolutionized sci-fi films. Being considered one of the 5 greatest films of all time by most also helps its cause. The storyline and the film itself mixed with the art of Kubrick and the drama of Kubrick alike make this a legendary and landmark sci-fi film.

3. Metropolis- The "original" sci-fi film. And yet still a great sci-fi film. It put sci-fi on the map, in however big or small of a way as a genre. The story was wonderful and its really one of the movies that you just wish they DON'T remake. Which tells you how far hollywood has dropped since 1927.

4. The War of the Worlds (Original, the re-make sucked big time)- The original movie stemming from the radio show had people in panic. The movie didn't obviously. But never the less it was movies like this and Metropolis that set the stage for movies like 2001 and Star Wars to make sci-fi one of the premier box office genre draws.

5. Blade Runner- Not only the special effects. But the story as well. Scott's way of giving the film almost a gritty futuristic cop drama was marvelous. Harrison Ford gave what I believe to be one of his 2-3 best performances ever. But not only was it all of the things that stemmed from the movie that made it great, but also it was the movie itself. The effects for the time were awesome and the story was what facilitated this all.

6. The Day the Earth Stood Still- Again one of the early sci-fi movies that set the stage for the greats. The concept of a peaceful encounter with aliens today would be a new one for hollywood. Its been over 20 years since E.T. and since then we have seen 3 Aliens, 2 Predators, 4 Star Wars films, and countless other films that portrayed Aliens in a not-so-friendly-light. The message of the movie as well, live peacefully. That you need not your weapons, but your heart. Speaks volumes of todays blood loving, blood thirsty, war mongering society. Lessons can be learned from this movie by some world leaders.

7. Terminator 2: Judgment Day- No movie, perhaps ever, advanced the quality and technology of special effects that many of us now take for granted in modern sci-fi films more than Terminator 2 did. T2 set the table for Jurassic, the Matrix, etc. Not only that the story was wonderful. How a machine, a Terminator, could learn the value of human life was remarkable. Its message as well rings true. Be wary of all the super advances in technology, keep it in reins. Love one another because it can end like that.

8. The Matrix- Picking up where T2 left off as the most copied movie of its era, the special effects in the Matrix once again revolutionized cinema. Not only that it had everyone asking "What is the Matrix?" It got people thinking and trying to understand a movie in a way that no movie had gotten people to do in a long time. The action was great, the story was better, and it changed the way as the others on this list did, that we watched movies.

9. Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back- Four words..."Luke, I'm your Father."

10. Alien- The scariest movie I can ever remember seeing. So much in this movie freaked the living hell out of me when I first watched this as a small boy. The alien was fantastic. And the way Ridley Scott drew out the suspense and taut' drama was outstanding.

Last edited by Phlub : Jun 5, 2006 at 11:25 AM.
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 04:48 AM   #2
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002
Re: Top 10 Most IMPORTANT Sci-Fi Movies of All-Time

It would be useful if you could explain, for each one, WHY you think it's an IMPORTANT film for sci-fi.
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 03:51 AM   #3
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

We did do this, I'm sure we've done this, if it wasn't this is was the best sf under similar conditions (think I wound up having to list Dark City even though I don't like it).
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 02:21 AM   #4
homeworldrelic
Starfighter
104 flights since May 2004

Hey, Hey give the man a break...its not easy to come up with new irritating posts after all these years...god, you know sometimes you people can be so cruel.
homeworldrelic is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 05:55 PM   #5
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

Define "Important" as it relates to movies. Anyone? ANYONE?
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 05:57 PM   #6
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

Genre-defining, maybe..?
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 06:03 PM   #7
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

Hmm. I can see your point. I would have characterized it as "demonstrable impact on mainstream society.....etc, etc.." but characterizing it as "Genre-Defining" serves a more direct and "movie-centric" goal. Macroscopic v. Microscopic . . .

Which just goes to show he needs to define it!
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 06:05 PM   #8
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

Bottom-line, it's hard to tell.

Or in other words: who the hell knows?
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 07:24 PM   #9
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies
1,103 flights since Jun 2004

And even more honestly, this is what, the third or fourth thread about the same damned topic? Most import sci fi movies, Greatest sci fi movies, top ten greatest sci fi movies......wouldn't the greatest sci fi movie be the most important? And you can't pinpoint the greatest or most important or most cool without someone having a difference of opinion.

What a *******. That kid is a *******.
Demosthemighty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 03:14 AM   #10
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001

Quote:
Originally posted by Demosthemighty
wouldn't the greatest sci fi movie be the most important?

Yeah, that's what I said in Phlub's "greatest" thread...

According to him, they're two completely different things.
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 06:28 AM   #11
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

Although there will undoubtedly be a high degree of cross-over they can be very different....

For example:

THX-1138

This film is undeniably important - as it was Lucas' first real foray into sci-fi - and already showed he wasn't very good at directing.
The story was ok, though.

The film is, on the whole, pretty dull and certainly not the "greatest".
However, for what it gave to Lucas, and what Lucas learnt in that film makes it undeniably "important".
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 09:45 AM   #12
Demosthemighty
Father of Lies
1,103 flights since Jun 2004

True, but still, the Greatest movie will be the most important because of its recognized greatness.

But i digress......what a continued *******. That kid is still a *******.
Demosthemighty is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Off-World Discussion Forum