Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Serenity (2005)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Serenity (2005)

Can't stop the signal.

Old Jul 17, 2006, 03:44 PM   #1
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001
Will Mal and Inara Ever Get It On?

Is it ridiculous to get frustrated over an incomplete romance in a cancelled television and film series. The whole little Inara wanting to leave after Mal slept with her friend was just...hypocritical! There was a moment there, and then it was gone with I'm leaving.

Unconfessed romances that drag on for years get on my nerves.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 04:09 AM   #2
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002
Re: Will Mal and Inara Ever Get It On?

Particularly when there's no sign of any possibility of it being resolved due to almost absolutely nothing being done with the story

I think they could have gotten another season's worth of romantic tension before having to settle it once and for all. I doubt it would have dragged for too long.
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 06:56 PM   #3
mack
misanthrope
1,988 flights since Dec 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighWiredSith
The whole little Inara wanting to leave after Mal slept with her friend was just...hypocritical!

Women are like that HWS - you should KNOW this by now, Mr. Married Man! Even though she "did her work" she still thought of him as "hers" and knew he liked her. Their age-old argument was his dislike of her "work."

Take it to another level, all of a sudden you have the jealousy thing going on. Since he was never really "hers," how can she be sad about losing something she never had? This is the question she has to ask herself, then unpack her feelings are admit that it does matter to her who Mal sleeps with, and so perhaps she has to admit that even though she is so sophisticated and cosmopolitan, perhaps he is right and it does matter who SHE sleeps with.

IF they want to try and have something together. That's the big question. Trust me, this is a necessary progression down the line of "admitting youre in love."

Step 1: Coming out of denial. Complete, with crying uncontrollably on the floor.

EDIT: The only person who I had sympathy on in that episode was the friend who Mal slept with - chicks like that are "doorway" chicks (works the same way with guys): people who are used in order to "open your eyes" to how you feel about someone else. She was actually really cool, and its a shame she was not only used, but about what ultimately happened to her. Best not to be that person.
mack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 06:15 AM   #4
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Given Whedon's track record I doubt it would have ever been settled to the fans satisfaction - he doesn't do happy endings (he's quite from the jump the shark point of view), they would have been seperated, one died, one drawn away by duty or some such etc etc.
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 05:33 AM   #5
Jove
Sector Marshall
743 flights since Nov 2002

Yeah - Whedon doesn't do "happy married couple ride off into sunset" - unless the sunset is actually a star that's going supernova - and only one of the couple is riding off into it... and I mean INTO it... with no chance of getting out... leaving the other to start moping about and giving him/her the "get out" clause for any future potential one-episode romances.
Jove is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 09:18 AM   #6
HighWiredSith
More Than Just Okay
3,854 flights since Jul 2001

I think the Kaylee/Simon thing worked out in pretty typical fashion.
HighWiredSith is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Serenity (2005)