Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Administrative Nexus > Suggestions and problems

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Old Oct 2, 2001, 07:11 AM   #1
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001
Talking Re: SPAM Prevention: Ramses, bright idea...

Howdy, Almighty Administrator of this Thrice-Holy Site.

Ivanhoe and I came up with an idea to prevent spaming due to rank-lust. How about only counting as posted those posts that go over a determined number of words? That would prevent spamming in a way.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2001, 02:08 PM   #2
Xeno
Sector Marshall
751 flights since Mar 2001
Re: SPAM Prevention: Ramses, bright idea...

that doesn't mean anything. For example you set it at what? 30 characters atleast right? Well, the guy can ramble on about something totally unrelated. or they can just put smilies and "lol"s everywhere. SPAM is something all forums have to live with man hehe.
Xeno is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2001, 10:34 PM   #3
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000

he he ... I t wasn't MY idea . I just said that it was interesting and that it deserves to be in the suggestion thread. Anyway .. I think that the efficent BAN policy is something that will be the most efficent action.

PS: I know forums that are Extremly efficent and and don't think thwice when someone spams .

One Warning and the second time your User name is Deletet and thrown out. Radical but effective.
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2001, 02:03 AM   #4
WhiteRabbit
Wing Commander
335 flights since Jan 2001

Yeah.. there's no way of really filtering out the SPAM with an algorithm. Quantity of words isn't really a decent way to dictate what qualifies as a 'good post'. I mean.. look at something like this. And some perfectly valid posts can just be one or to words too (eg. answering a simple question). Banning is probably a good idea... but I still think we need some moderators.

Last edited by WhiteRabbit : Oct 3, 2001 at 02:13 AM.
WhiteRabbit is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2001, 12:18 PM   #5
Xeno
Sector Marshall
751 flights since Mar 2001

Quote:
Originally posted by Ivanhoe
PS: I know forums that are Extremly efficent and and don't think thwice when someone spams .

One Warning and the second time your User name is Deletet and thrown out. Radical but effective.

lol, 1 warning??? I say atleast 3! jeez, seriously the person needs some chances, and 3 is pretty good...

gotta agree on needing mods. we need quite a few and the mods must have reliable knowledge on the films they are modding. Not much need for modding Pilot's Mess though insults and flaming might occur...I think the squad can stop it before it gets too out of hand.

PS. I was sooooo tempted on putting "Yeh!" in the 12 Monkey's thread hehe.
Xeno is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2001, 10:53 PM   #6
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000

Off course that I didn't mean one warning I was just saying that I'm a member of one hardware benchmark forum wich has that policy .... yes three warnings are enough ...
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2001, 01:03 PM   #7
Bayleaf48
Hero Of Time
1,316 flights since Jun 2001
Smile Re: SPAM Prevention: Ramses, bright idea...

Three warnings is the traditional number to give before you lose your job, get deleted etc., but there will have to be a way of making that the people who comit the offence are told of the warning, what irt's for & how many they have had, but saying that unless it's done by people in charge (top brass), then other people could very cruely send a warning to some one & they wouldn't have deserved it.

Bayleaf48 is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Administrative Nexus > Suggestions and problems