Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

We are not alone. | guide

Old Nov 11, 2001, 09:40 PM   #1
schmak
Apprentice
1 flights since Nov 2001
Re: the famous 5 notes...please read

my dad used to own a couple of tapes from a japanese composer named tomeka, or tometa or something like that. he used all electric sounds and far out stuff to make music. i think that's the guy who came up with the 5 notes in the movie. am i right? does anyone own his material? i've lost those tapes and want to try getting them back.

1000 thanks
schmak is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2001, 04:38 PM   #2
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Smile Re: the famous 5 notes...please read

it is Iso Tomita and the notes are on the album the bermuda Traiangel and in a track called close encounters. it begins with the conversation. very moving piece. i have not seen the album on cd yet but have the mp3's from a conversion i did from the album piped thru my puter. one draw back is that the conversion to mp3 will not allow for a sonic prymid that optimizes the sound broadcast. i amd a few others are working on this deliemma to correct this problem.

a sonic pryimid is created with 5 speakers 4 on the floor and one above in the center of the room. the tracking on the lp is set up to aloow thios and with the way the music was layered creates an effect of being in the middle of a ocean and thunder and lightning above you. could have been a for runner of THX. Email me at amanda_stcloud33@hotmail.com if you have any ideas or wish to obtain a cd i have made of the mp3s.

just for the sake of continuity i have not divided the tracks and plays out as one long track so do not expect to be able to switch tracks i do include a timeing list if one wishes to remake the cd with tracks but i will be honest to do a tracked cd will lose the purity of the way it was ment to play aka like pink floyd the dark side of the moon and other cds's
Old Nov 15, 2001, 07:12 AM   #3
Unregistered
n/a flights since

In the documentary on the Collector's Edition DVD - John Williams explains that he was instructed by Steve Spielberg to come up with a sequence of notes to be used in the film.

JW wanted to use 7 notes - but SS wanted to stick with 5 (to make it less like a real tune). They calculated that there were gazillions (well lots) of possible combinations and started putting some together. Eventually, SS just decided he liked the sound of the sequence used in the movie.

That's how SS/JW tell it anyway. I'm guessing this Japanese composer took inspiration from the film for his own work - which sounds interesting.
Old Apr 26, 2002, 05:31 AM   #4
ThinWLady
Mrs. Tony Harrison
1,295 flights since Feb 2002

I'm just listening the main theme. It's... Very interesting... Now I first time started to really listen it and I'll hope I'll not hear it again very soon. I mean, that's disturbing.
ThinWLady is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 11:48 PM   #5
lunadude
Starfighter
54 flights since Oct 2003
Chicken or the Egg?

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

Isao Tomita's Bermuda triangle album (1978 in Japan, 1979 in the US)

I'd take John Williams' word on the origin.
lunadude is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)