Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Serenity (2005)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Serenity (2005)

Can't stop the signal.

Old Nov 3, 2007, 03:37 AM   #1
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001
Whedon's New Show

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...ures/800026169

Quote:
Short of a Buffy the Vampire Slayer reunion movie, this is just about the best news you could ask for: Eliza Dushku and Joss Whedon are reteaming for a new series! (Told ya it would be worth tearing yourself away from the candy corn to drop by The Ausiello Report.) Here are the five things you have to know about the show, and I mean now:

1. It's a one-hour drama produced by 20th Century Fox to air on Fox. The first of the seven episodes to which the network has committed could premiere as early as spring.

2. It's called Dollhouse because that's the nickname of the high-tech lab where a group of human chalkboards are kept between assignments.

3. Human chalkboards?! Yes! What else would you call characters like Dushku's Echo who can be given new memories, skills and even personalities, then stripped of them just as quickly, leaving them virtual children.

4. Whedon is the creator, head writer and executive producer, and perhaps in part because Dushku convinced him to do the show, she's getting a producer credit. (Fellow Buffyverse alum Tim Minear is also on board.)

5. I just got off the phone with both of them!

First things first: How in the hellmouth did Dushku get her Buffy and Angel boss to do it? In a word, food. Shortly after she signed a development deal with Fox in August, "I called the one man that I knew I wanted to do [a series] with and had to have to have the best show possible" and invited him to lunch, she says. "And he was seduced!"

Actually, hypnotized, Whedon counters. "Eliza was wearing a hat with a big spiraling wheel on it, and she kept saying, 'Look into the wheel. You want to make television. You want it to be about me… ' It sounds hokey, but it really worked."

And how. Not only did Dushku get Whedon to agree to work on the project, but what she calls their "contagious, freaky, awesome energy" at that very get-together inspired him to create it. "I came up with [the concept] at lunch completely spontaneously, based on my conversation with Eliza," he insists. "It wasn't [an idea] that I was nurturing or that I tailored or I tried to retro-fit to her."

So what is the concept, exactly? Explains Whedon: "Dollhouse is a suspense drama about a girl who can have any personality except her own." So it's part Alias and part Quantum Leap, "because Echo is literally changing who she is," he continues. "She gets into people's lives a little bit."

Even Dushku's. "I relate so much to this character," she marvels. "Echo is essentially the story of my life. I've lived a crazy life the past 16 years, traveling around the world and then tripping and falling into this business. Everyone wants you to transform and be a different person every week."

Great chemistry and intriguing premise notwithstanding, you'd think that after Fox snuffed Whedon's Firefly and hung up on Dushku's Tru Calling, one or both of them would have been more than a little hesitant to get back into bed with the network. "Honestly? Walking back into that building was pretty damn strange," Whedon admits. But "I always had a good relationship with [20th Century Fox], and on the network end, it's a completely new bunch of people, and from what I’ve seen, a fairly impressive bunch."

Dushku seconds that emotion. "I really get the sense that they're committed to [this show]… It feels right."

Besides, as Whedon notes, "I told them I was interested in writing a pilot, and they gave me seven episodes. They’ve already shown more support for it than I have."

Now it's your turn to show the comeback kids some love. And, like Dushku, I don't think you'll let them down. "We have the best fans in the business [in the] the Buffy and Whedon universe," she says. "It’s going to be pandemonium when this [news] hits." And it's only just begun
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 03:38 AM   #2
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
Re: Whedon's New Show

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/071102i.php

Quote:
Joss Whedon is coming back to television reports E! Online.

The creator of the brilliant "Buffy," "Angel" and "Firefly" is returning to the small screen with a new FOX series entitled "Dollhouse."

Even cooler, Faith herself Eliza Dushku will play the lead role and the network has already commissioned seven full episodes.

The story follows Echo (Eliza Dushku), one of a group of men and women who can be imprinted with personality packages, including memories, skills, language--even muscle memory--for different assignments. The assignments can be romantic, adventurous, outlandish, uplifting, sexual and/or very illegal.

When not imprinted with a personality package, Echo and the others are basically mind-wiped, living like children in a futuristic dorm/lab dubbed the Dollhouse, with no memory of their assignments--or of much else.

The show revolves around the childlike Echo's burgeoning self-awareness, and her desire to know who she was before, a desire that begins to seep into her various imprinted personalities and puts her in danger both in the field and in the closely monitored confines of the Dollhouse.

Whedon confirms that deals are in place with the show, himself and Dushku committed. The scripts have been pitched but not yet written, thus next week's writer's strike will delay it but they're presently aiming for a February start of shooting.

Finally writer/producer Tim Minear ("Angel," "Wonderfalls," "Firefly," "Drive") will also be involved.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 06:40 AM   #3
Splendiferous
Old One Pikeman
3,132 flights since Mar 2002

Hooray for the return of Whedon and Minear (and, to a lesser extent, Dushku )!

It may not be the series I want (season two of Firefly, damnit! ), but hey, we'll take pretty much anything at this point

I hope I have some sort of Sky TV by the time this hits the UK.
Splendiferous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 05:54 PM   #4
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

From what I've heard so far, it sounds vaguely similar to Dark Angel, only, y'know, before the break out. With a touch of Bourne Identity. Hooray for out of the blue Whedon news, and extra hooray for out-of-the-blue Dushku news.
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 09:37 PM   #5
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Dark Angel come Alias?

(and Jill should 'techinically' be having wet dreams round about now)

<< I don't know. He is still genius (despite everything post ff/angel), she is still interesting (despite Tru), but lots of not so great in between. Will be interesting to see how this is comitted to screen
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 09:42 PM   #6
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

Only that I'm too tired to rant, I am actually crazy giddy over this concept. All they need is a blonde Australian soap heroine, and they have gold, right there.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 11:30 AM   #7
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage

It's Fox, though, so they cancel it after one season.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 10:29 AM   #8
Camfan
Wing Commander
364 flights since Mar 2002

All sounds good, and who doesn't want to stare at Eliza Dushku for an hour every week? I still think Whedon should've written her into firefly, but never mind.... (Inara's younger sister perhaps? Scratch that.. bad idea)
Camfan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 05:24 PM   #9
Seraph
2,121 flights since Feb 2003

Olivia Williams is in (British actress, she was Moira in X3) as the woman who runs the Dollhouse where drones (Dushku) are programmed for missions then have their brains wiped clean.

Does sound DAish, but er...it also sounds kinda up my street.

scifi.com

Hmmm apparently the "Dolls" are also known as "Actives", they are illegal, but all volunteered for it and perform 'jobs', 'crimes', 'fantasies' and the occasional 'good deed'. Unusually the show's tension is supposed to be from a Federal Agent trying to shut the Dollhouse down and a rogue Doll. More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollhouse_(TV_series)
Seraph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 07:55 PM   #10
jill_valentine
Us kids know.

I'm kind of intrigued, 'cause it's not really sounding like anything Joss has done before. But on the other hand, I just don't know if I can ever forgive Eliza Dushku for being in that Nickelback. I mean, I love Eliza Dushku, you guys know that, but my Dushku-love is not enough to overcome my rabid, and entirely justified, hatred of Nickelback.

Nickelback, I absolutely hate you all personally.

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ S -- Z ] > Serenity (2005)