Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

This is the forum to get to know your fellow pilots and the ONLY place to talk about everything else not really relevant to sci-fi movies, including your personal loves and interests. A true pilot doesn't discuss these issues while on duty.

Old Apr 4, 2008, 01:46 AM   #1
Lt_Johnny_Rico
380 flights since Aug 2002
Thumbs up Burn the Heretic! Kill the Mutant! Purge the Unclean! Or I <3 WH40K: Dawn of War

I am way too late in getting in on this, but I've recently started playing Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War and the Winter Assault expansion pack. I am pretty much in love. I love being able to upgrade/customize my fighting force. I love the option of being able to zoom in and out and watch the battles from different angles. I have never seen carnage like this in all of my gaming experiences. I swear, this might be one of the most beautiful games ever. Too bad I only have the demos, and as my computer kind of sucks, and I'm pretty sure that my parents are not going to upgrade or get me a new one just so I can build armies and crush my, er, I mean, the Imperium's enemies, no matter how überfun it is, I doubt I'll be getting the full versions anytime soon...

Then again, it's probably for the best. Ever since downloading the games, the academic portion of my college life has never felt so threatened. Once I'm better at self-discipline... maybe...
Lt_Johnny_Rico is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 06:38 PM   #2
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001
Re: Burn the Heretic! Kill the Mutant! Purge the Unclean! Or I <3 WH40K: Dawn of War

Welcome.

Dawn of War is a favourite in our household. Both me and Kat have the entire series, and play the game both solo and with each other. Also, Dawn of War is still the favourite game in our LAN's at a friend's house, since we're all avid 40K fans.

The original game is good, and so is Winter Assault, since it adds the Imperial Guard. At some stage, you should consider getting the pack that has those two, plus Dark Crusade (adds Necrons and the Tau Empire) and the recently-released Soulstorm (adds Dark Eldar and the Sisters of Battle). You get the original game and the expansions, for the price of a single game.

How deep into Dawn of War am I? Well, I've been playing it literally since the day it was released (I had it on pre-order on Amazon), and as soon as I start playing, I have an entire build queue, rally points and strategy all on my head, sometimes from instinct.

Any time you get those games, and feel like taking on my Blood Angels online, let me know.

Edit: That said, if you like Dawn of War, you should try Company of Heroes and the expansion, Opposing Fronts. Relic and THQ took Dawn of War, improved the graphics engine, added a few gameplay tweaks (like a "Retreat" button for squads about to get wiped out) and voilá: the spiritual successor to Dawn of War. Granted, it feels a bit more "generic", since it's yet another WWII-themed RTS, but it is a damn good game. Not as good as Dawn of War, but that's simply because it lacks the distinct Warhammer flavour.

Last edited by Iwata : Apr 4, 2008 at 06:44 PM.
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 09:09 PM   #3
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002
Re: Burn the Heretic! Kill the Mutant! Purge the Unclean! Or I <3 WH40K: Dawn of War

jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 09:17 AM   #4
Iwata
Autarch

Eh! Funny you should post that, Jill, that's my current wallpaper (that Kat found)!
Old Apr 12, 2008, 08:21 PM   #5
jill_valentine
Us kids know.
1,805 flights since Dec 2002

The cover story on PC Gameplay is Dawn of War 2. Curse their wiley sealed-in-plastic-baggie ways!
jill_valentine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 08:16 AM   #6
Iwata
Autarch

Looks pretty sweet. I've only seen three screenshots so far, but they're using the "Company of Heroes" engine, which is what I'd hoped they'd do for the next "Dawn of War" in the first place.

Company of Heroes

Dawn of War II
Old Apr 13, 2008, 06:35 PM   #7
Lt_Johnny_Rico
380 flights since Aug 2002

ORGASM ORGASM ORGASM
Praise the Emperor, that is beautiful...
Lt_Johnny_Rico is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]