Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Andromeda Strain, The (1971)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Andromeda Strain, The (1971)

Rated G... But may be too intense for younger children. | guide

Old Dec 10, 2000, 03:29 AM   #1
Roxx
n/a flights since
Angry Re: Did they kill those innocent monkeys and rats??????

Although I loved the movie, I was ABSOLUTLEY horrified by the "lab animals" sequence where they exposed rats and beautiful rhesus (sp?) monkeys to the Andromeda crystal.

Those animals were not acting.

Does anyone know if they were really killed?

If so... then that is pathetic.

They could have accomplished the same effect by cutting away from the cages... then cutting back to show the animals "dead" (when they only would have been tranquilized).

Its so shocking to be reminded of the days before the "prevention of cruelty to animals" in film.

Any information that could be provided on this matter would be appreciated.

thanx

roxx
Old Dec 21, 2000, 07:34 PM   #2
shine2000
n/a flights since
Unhappy Re: Did they kill those innocent monkeys and rats??????

oh my goodness! thats exactly what i was thinking!!!! i saw the movie today because i did that book for an english project and at that scene i was horrified!!!!!! i don't think that the rhesus or the rat were acting

i don't know, maybe they used sleeping gas or something that wouldn't have any lasting effects. i hope anyways.

i was so upset after i saw that scene. that poor monkey!
Old Jan 6, 2001, 08:18 PM   #3
ROXX
n/a flights since
Sleeping gas...... hmmm, doubtful

Hi there SHINE2000,

I don't know if they used sleeping gas. Would exposure to sleeping gas have produced that twitching in the rhesus monkey?

It seemed like the monkey was in the throes of death with all that twitching. If I'm not mistaken, sleeping gas gradually makes you drowzy and you slump over and sleep.

The rhesus monkey was going into spasm... remember? Like he was in pain. Poor thing.

I'd like to believe that it was sleeping gas... but it doesn't seem to fit the bill.

Hopefully I will find some information on that scene somewhere and I will know for certain what happened.

Take care... and happy new year!

ROXX
Old Feb 14, 2001, 11:03 AM   #4
marty
Apprentice
2 flights since Feb 2001
Re: Did they kill those innocent monkeys and rats??????

In watching this movie the other day I noticed that there is a note in the front titles saying that animal scenes were supervised by the SPCA (or something similar). This jumped out at me because having seen the movie before I knew the animal scenes were very intense and I'd wondered if animals were killed. So hopefully the disclaimer means that they weren't - or it may mean they were put to death humanely (very upsetting to some people).

They are powerful scenes in a movie full of strong images.
marty is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2001, 03:54 AM   #5
flombaye
Pilot
22 flights since May 2001

it would not be necessary to chemically compromise the animals beyond simple hypoxia. the spasms were consistent with sudden and acute discontinuation of an adequate oxygen level in the air.
flombaye is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2001, 03:55 PM   #6
jmcorange
Apprentice
1 flights since May 2001
Cool Relax about the animals, dudes.

Those animals didn't die, dudes! Check out my full post.
jmcorange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2001, 01:24 PM   #7
Unregistered
n/a flights since

The Sci-Fi channel ran this movie, the Andromeda Strain again today. I saw
the controversaral 'monkey killed' scene. It looked like the really died
to me.

I'm trying to find the "full post' alluded to in the above post, but don't see
how I can read it. I hope that the monkey (or rats) weren't killed....
Old Aug 15, 2001, 09:22 PM   #8
cabalcomb
Knight of Honor
309 flights since Jan 2001
no animals were harmed in this film.

To simulate the death of the monkey in the Andromeda Strain, an airtight set was used; the bottom of it was filled with carbon dioxide, so that when the monkey's cage was opened, he had to breathe the carbon dioxide. When he was just about to pass out, a waiting veteranarian immediately treated him with oxygen. Of course, no animals were harmed in the making of this film

http://www.afionline.org/wise/films/...info/info.html

cabalcomb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2001, 07:05 AM   #9
Unregistered
n/a flights since

Nasty matter of fact images that mirror what we know happens in "real science". With that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised that the monkeys and rats involved, were actual animals already being used for "real science" and had reached the stage where it was time to put them down and dissect. Look at the year this movie was made. At school at around 1976ish, we (I abstained if memory serves me correctly) we were killing and dissecting frogs and mice, and of course even worse was happening in universities and science labs. Visit the "PETA" web pages for more on what goes on this day and age. Sorry, but it looked too real to me, and there was no sign of breathing as the cages were moved out. However, even if it was faked, just think how many of similar critters have been subjected to various tortures and then death all in the name of science and/or the perscription drug industry.
Old Nov 20, 2001, 09:38 AM   #10
cabalcomb
Knight of Honor
309 flights since Jan 2001

Please look at my previous posting. As realistic as these images were the monkey was not harmed and a veterinarian was on hand during the filming to care for the animals. If you have doubts check the following link. It explains how the scene was done.

http://www.afionline.org/wise/films.../info/info.html
cabalcomb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2003, 06:22 PM   #11
Omega2064
Wing Commander
279 flights since Jun 2003

Quite correct.

The animals were hit with carbon monoxide(or dioxide, though the way the monkey is gasping and convulsing suggests the more potent monoxide) till they passed out. Its still nasty as they are in reality sufficating. But the people making this shot were also being carefull not to kill the animals.

Some versions have clipped this sequence.

Omega2064
Omega2064 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 08:38 PM   #12
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

You guys would probably freak out if I told you they shot over 200 horses to do "Charge of the Light Brigade"...
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 03:11 PM   #13
Unregistered
n/a flights since

I know what you guys mean (sets aside chicken bucket). It would have been terrible if those animals died (loosens leather belt). I would have cried myself to sleep tonight (on my goose down pillow of course - rickety neck).

I wonder what was going through their limited minds as they neared passing out. I'm sure they were right glad when they woke up later and found out it was all joke - ha ha ha, fooled you! You thought you were dying didn't you!! You should have seen your face!!! Hey - don't you dare throw your feces at me....

A little torture for the sake of cinema is much better than just flat out killing them I guess.

They weren't my animals. They would either be wild or owned by someone who would control their disposition. Either way it's not my concern. Am I concerned how much the actors got paid? Am I concerned at the wildlife displaced to create the sets? Nope. I'm not concerned about a rat and a monkey either.
Old Sep 4, 2004, 12:10 AM   #14
Unregistered
n/a flights since
the monkey lives

what was terrible is the horses in the movie heavens gate really died in such numbers.
the rats and monkies in andromeda srtain were alright the aspca was there to ensure that so all you peta homos calm down already.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 07:17 PM   #15
Mike
n/a flights since
The Quality of Mercy

" A coward dies a thousand times, a brave man only once."

Is it more acceptable to give this monkey two deaths, than the usual one?

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Andromeda Strain, The (1971)